Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ejahn
Star
Star

Geofencing used to work for my Arlo Qs,  as recently as a few weeks ago.  I contacted Arlo support, and they told me that only base-station connected cameras can be controlled by the geofencing mode.   I didn't think to ask about when this policy changed, and why?  Does anyone know the answers to these two questions.  Cynically (and wastefully) I think it is a deiberate decision by Arlo to force upgrades to Arlo Essential Indoors, which can connect to a base station.  I'm just considering switching to another brand, after being a customer since 2016, since I don't appreciate or tolerate manipulation of this sort.  I pay a monthly fee for Arlo Secure, so Arlo gets ongoing revenue from me, and eventually I would probably have upgraded my outdoor cameras.

Best answers
  • Dannybear
    Master
    Master

@StephenB 

This article says that geofencing is supported on the Q (the VMC4030 is listed at the top):

https://kb.arlo.com/1085093/How-does-Arlo-Geofencing-work-and-how-do-I-set-it-up

The article was recently updated (June 2022), so I am thinking that you were given wrong information by support. 

You are likely correct as the hyperlink for the arlo Q’s VMC3040 in the article goes to an error page, which could be the reason the arlo tech said the Q is no longer supported for geofencing.

The base station only supports issue may have been some added spice to the reason given.

150 REPLIES 150
motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

they will likely not fix it as the new UI works fine. You’ll probably have to upgrade your UI (by going through the process of adding a security device). Geofencing will work fine once you figure out which device is the correct one. Keep in mind you will be limited to 3 “modes” in the new UI which is lame. 

Kremmen
Guide
Guide

Over the 6 years I've owned my ArloQ cameras I've become used to the configuration and how it all works, or not, so having a misconfigured app is not the case. I know how to move around and check. I understand the list of notification categories and they are all on.

Geofencing worked in fits and starts right up to last year from the May 2019 update. Mostly it didn't work coming home but it did work when I exited the zone. Prior to May 19 it worked probably 95% of the time.

I moved a few months ago and got a new internet setup including new router and I had previously taken the precaution of fully removing my camera via the app from my old house so I could set it up fresh with the new credentials. Setup was a breeze including my new home location.

When I go out or come back home the arrow under Mode > 'disarmed/armed' > Geofencing > Edit > Enabled Mobile Devices and Push Notifications are both set to my phone.

When I go out or come home the arrow under enabled mobile devices, most of the time, changes from green to grey or vice versa, so the app knows where I am, inside or outside the zone, but it refuses to change between armed and disarmed and of course no notification.

Whilst all this is going on Smartthings and Google Home are both working perfectly and geofencing other devices, giving notifications without issue.

So do I want to gamble and buy a new Arlo camera and base station ........................

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kremmen wrote:

So do I want to gamble and buy a new Arlo camera and base station ........................

Geofencing is basically an app feature - the phone knows where it is, and the account knows where "home" is for that camera/base.  The cameras and bases shouldn't be a factor.

So I suspect a new camera wouldn't help much - unless there is a bug in the app specific to the Q, which is is possible I guess.

kingrc
Tutor
Tutor

Geofencing works fine on the Arlo cams I have with a base station. However, I have two Arlo Q’s in two different homes, that both stopped switching to away mode when geofencing is selected after Arlo updated their software. As others have mentioned, it should be an easy fix for Arlo but it seems like they are more interested in selling new products than supporting their older products. I now buy from one of Arlo’s competitors due to their lack of help in fixing this geofencing issue for the Arlo Qs. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

Are you still experiencing the issue? 

Aiku1337
Star
Star

It’s a bug. My base station for non-q cameras detects geofence fine.  None of my 3 Q’s work. 

Cyndarella
Apprentice
Apprentice

None of my 4 arlo Q cameras work on the geo fencing setting.

IT SUCKS. 

I will NEVER buy an Arlo product again. 

ejahn
Star
Star

Yes, this issue is still occurring.  I re-tested a week ago for an Arlo L3 support person named Jeff, and the issue is indeed still occurring, and only for my 3 Arlo Q cameras. I think a voucher for 50% off new Arlo indoor cams is the best way to handle this, since, 1) it will make the problem disappear (you can have my cameras if you want to replicate the issue for academic purposes), and 2) we'll feel a little better about all the time all of us wasted discussing this.  Thanks for your consideration.

motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

*double post*

motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

They aren't going to fix it, I seriously doubt anyone is still working on the old UI. Just force the upgrade to the new UI. While losing out on custom modes (limit of 3) sucks, the cameras are much better integrated. Your Qs can now trigger the base station siren. Geofencing works are a whole for the entire system so the Q only issue goes away 

kingrc
Tutor
Tutor

A lot of people have reported issues with the new UI. Among the problems reported were no longer receiving notifications and also (still) geofencing not working. I used to prefer Arlo cams but now have bought more reliable cams from another company. 

kingrc
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, the geofencing problem still exists. I have 2 Arlo Q cameras. One is located in Colorado and the other in Texas. They both stopped switching to away mode when set to geofencing at the same time mid 2019. I also have an Arlo Pro 2 with base unit and it works fine with geofencing, switching to away mode when I am a certain distance from my residence, so the problem is specific to the Q cams.

I worked in IT for many years so I am not a novice. I have reset devices, resynced, ensured that the Arlo app was running on only one device, etc. I currently run the Arlo app on an iPhone 13 Pro with iOS 16.6.1 but the Arlo Qs haven’t worked with geofencing on earlier versions of phones and operating systems. I even tried running the app just on my spouse’s android phone with the same results. 

Something changed with the Arlo Q programming back mid 2019 as there have been lots of people having the same issue as I have. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.
motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

@kingrc  the conversion to the new UI isn’t great. You have to go back through and enable notifications for each camera in each mode. Geofencing is a pain if you have logged into multiple devices because it doesn’t let you detail them or rename them. It’s basically trial and error until you find the correct device. 
most of the recent notification issues seemed more like server issues. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi all,

Are we still experiencing this issue with the Arlo Q and Geofencing?

Thanks 

kingrc
Tutor
Tutor

Yes.  Nothing has changed. The Arlo Q does not change to away when set to geofencing. The Arlo Pro that is in the same location works fine on geofencing.

billjh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do you guys just keep posting “are you still having a problem” just to appear that you care? How about fixing it?

DMcCookie
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is the “new UI” and how does one get it??

Thanks.

DMcCookie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Arlo Secure 4.9.1 (6960) on my iphone.

Is this “the new UI”?
Does the UI change if newer cameras are added?
I was thinking of getting a new camera but not if it’s going to force me to use what sounds like a terrible version of the app!

DMcCookie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have succeeded in using IFTTT to “fix” the geofencing bug - to restore the functionality that Arlo seems incapable of fixing.
My Arlo Q is now armed and disarmed via IFTTT since the Arlo app won’t do it.

My Essential cameras on my base station still  arm and disarm using the Arlo like they should do and always have.

Come on Arlo, this is pathetic.

motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

@DMcCookie if you have a “routines” tab/icon and only 3 “modes” (arm away, arm home, standby) then you have the new UI. The new UI uses the same app but it was more or less designed to be used with their security system. If you add a security device hub you need to upgrade, if it’s only a new camera you don’t. To force the upgrade just pretend to add a security system device and it will make you upgrade first. 
honestly fixing the geofencing and allowing the siren to be triggered by Qs was worth the upgrade for me. I would setup your modes from scratch as the conversion often leaves off notifications and other options for random cameras. 
i use standby as Home, home arm as dog mode, and arm away as full arm. You can get really fancy with automations,  changing camera settings/devices/modes based on geofencing or schedule but that can get to be a bit much. You can literally activate the siren just based on time of day, or when a family member gets home lol. I wish modes integrated with home kit for even more possibilities. 

Clockwork7
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Q: VMC3040r6

Geo- fencing has not worked for sometime now.  I have tried all the support suggestions to no avail. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@motomax wrote:

If you add a security device hub you need to upgrade, if it’s only a new camera you don’t. 

FYI, this part is not correct.  Adding a Pro 5s will migrate you to "Feed".  I believe adding the Essential Gen 2 cameras will also force the migration.

Kremmen
Guide
Guide

i feel somewhat vindicated that I'm not the only one having geofencing issues since mid 2019

Back then, the situation was that from about 2017 to mid 2019 geofencing worked 99% of the time. When it didn't work I would open the Android app, go to the 'location' screen and the teardrop icon was still showing I was at home. Almost instantly my teardrop would jump to my actual location, outside of the zone, and I'd get the notification that my Arlo cameras were armed.

These days the teardrop stays firmly fixed at my home address, coincidence ?

Recently I was able to view the enabled mobile phone locations screen and next to both phones was a grey or green icon which indicated in or out of the zone. Even when both phones were outside the zone and both icons were grey, no notification, Arlo cameras still disarmed.

The most recent update has removed those grey/green icons so I can no longer check.

Arlo must know what they did in about May 19 to make geofencing extremely flaky as for a couple of years it did occasionally change to armed/disarmed but for at least a couple of years now it is totally broken for ArloQ with no base station setup.

My current answer, that works 100% is to permanently have the cameras armed and use a Smartthings routine to put the Arlos into standby or live. A solution that is perfectly acceptable as when I'm in, they aren't streaming me indoors

ejahn
Star
Star

I don't think Smart things or IFTTT integrations will offer an easy solution for households with multiple devices that are part of the geofencing rules.  IFTTT would have to have to monitor the locations of all phones, which may be possible.

kingrc
Tutor
Tutor

IFTTT does work well to alarm when away, but as you said it only works with one device at a time. I was unable to figure out a way to have it work with multiple devices.