Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ejahn
Star
Star

Geofencing used to work for my Arlo Qs,  as recently as a few weeks ago.  I contacted Arlo support, and they told me that only base-station connected cameras can be controlled by the geofencing mode.   I didn't think to ask about when this policy changed, and why?  Does anyone know the answers to these two questions.  Cynically (and wastefully) I think it is a deiberate decision by Arlo to force upgrades to Arlo Essential Indoors, which can connect to a base station.  I'm just considering switching to another brand, after being a customer since 2016, since I don't appreciate or tolerate manipulation of this sort.  I pay a monthly fee for Arlo Secure, so Arlo gets ongoing revenue from me, and eventually I would probably have upgraded my outdoor cameras.

Best answers
  • Dannybear
    Master
    Master

@StephenB 

This article says that geofencing is supported on the Q (the VMC4030 is listed at the top):

https://kb.arlo.com/1085093/How-does-Arlo-Geofencing-work-and-how-do-I-set-it-up

The article was recently updated (June 2022), so I am thinking that you were given wrong information by support. 

You are likely correct as the hyperlink for the arlo Q’s VMC3040 in the article goes to an error page, which could be the reason the arlo tech said the Q is no longer supported for geofencing.

The base station only supports issue may have been some added spice to the reason given.

150 REPLIES 150
Robstitzer
Initiate
Initiate

I too came here as I googled the issue, searched and found that I’m having the same problem. Three original Netgear Arlo cameras, and one Essential work great with the geofencing. I have one Q hooked up inside my home and that’s the only one to not follow the geofencing command when I leave the zone. Incredibly frustrating.

billjh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here. Base works, 2 Q’s do not. They did work fine until a couple months ago

Cyndarella
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for posting! The more that do, the more it shows the company its their problem, which I believe they already know, and that it's not we the customers.

At this point it would serve them and us to fix this immediately. Or maybe they don't care? If that's the case I imagine many of us will be sure to let everybody out there know what happens to long time customers who have been with Arlo. In other words don't bother. I can speak for myself when I say if this is not remedied shortly, all my Arlo equipment is going out the door. I have been without the security working the way it has for years for about 3 months now. I have had it. I am putting out zero effort on this issue because I've been waiting for them to put out some effort. It's been clear they're not. I have a feeling they know and they are dodging this ball. Hear that arlo? Sure hope so.

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

For me Geofencing has had issues in the past, but quickly fixed, but it's been working with my 3 Q cameras for quite a while now.

However, whilst recently looking around I noted that Samsung Smartthings is compatible with ArloQ cameras.

The Samsung 'blurb' also said that their Smartthings app works on most Android phones, not just Samsung.

I've been running Smartthings for ages as Google Home 'Presence Sensing' on my phone kept breaking and my devices I expected to turn on when I got home more often than not didn't.

So far Smartthings has been flawless.

I haven't linked Arlo because Geofencing is working but maybe worth investigating ?

Cyndarella
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's puzzling to me why yours are working. I see there was just another update 12/1. I'm also finding I can no longer enlarge to full screen a camera view now (WTH)

EDIT: Did a clear cache, force stop of app, now I'm able to do it. THAT little stretch arrow on top right corner of camera screen returned. Good thing. 🤬

I've tried refreshing my geo settings. 

I'll try smart things /Google home. I also have used Alexa in the past (ho hum - with not much success, as usual). Thanks for the idea. 

Signed, Weary. 

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

Try Smartthings first, seems to be far better at getting your location.

Cyndarella
Apprentice
Apprentice

I set it up today. However, I didn't get notifications. I need to get better aqainted with smart things again (I guess) ... When I was gone I should have been getting notifications, but it didn't work. Grrr. 

Cyndarella
Apprentice
Apprentice

I set up the Q's with smart things today, linked with Google home, Alexa and arlo. I figured cover my bases, then I'll try everything. As long as my location is "allowed" & set up correctly in each, I'll explore every option. Google would see my cameras. I had to keep linking, then retry when I wanted to view. Worthless. Went back to smart things to try it from there. Left home on the settings for away with geo setup and nothing. Bummed. I may look for an iftt thing..

WHY CAN'T ARLO JUST FIX THE FRICKEN PROBLEM? 

I swear they know.

I have a Samsung Note9. I've used these on my old note5 too. I had the note2 but I can't remember if I had my cams then.. I may have. I've never had this issue. 

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

Smartthings does take some learning but now I've cracked it, it works perfectly OK.

I have 2 Routines that monitor my location and perform various tasks when I enter or leave the zone(s). I say zones because unlike Google Home you can setup multiple locations and change the trigger radius.

I've tried Google Home and IFTTT location triggers and neither work reliably.

In this example when I arrive/depart it switches my location status and turns on/off a power socket :

5Ait4yp

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I can't say that Geofencing doesn't work with the Q's because it does work with one camera that I have at home.

But at 2 other remote locations they don't work. I've reinstalled the cameras at one location and they didn't work.

The other location is harder to get to since it's an hour away, so I'm hoping at some point to try installing them again.

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

Another thing to watch is that your phone has your correct location.

I've had many occasions where my phone has failed to go to away mode but opening Google Maps has revealed that the phone still thinks it's at home.

After Maps has been opened and your location obtained it more often triggers away mode.

I had this a few days ago and whilst Smartthings had triggered away mode correctly Arlo hadn't. Maps fixed it so Arlo Geofencing isn't as reliable as Smartthings.

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

I'm having Geofencing issues again.

I leave home, move out of the zone and nothing.

The only way to get it to work is to open Google Maps, then open Arlo. Then, usually, after about a minute it works.

What I don't understand is how often and when does Arlo try and get your location ?

I've set Arlo to allow Location 'all the time' but :

Screenshot_20221221_072648_Settings.jpg

Before the last 2 updates it was working perfectly.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What app ver and mobile device type?

Are you placing the phone on charge when existing or entering the zone?

My iPhone will not update location unless it is on charge else it may not change status up to 10miles or 30mins away. 

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

Samsung S10, Android 12, latest Arlo Secure App updated a few days ago. Set to always allow location.

Not on charge, in top pocket whilst walking

I see my screenshot is playing up

What it said :

Location - Recent Access :

Home - 0 Minutes

Smartthings - 6 Minutes

Norton 360 - 7 Minutes

Maps - 8 Minutes

Kasa - 103 Minutes

Arlo - 17 Hours

Up to the last 2 updates it switched to armed within a minute or so of me exiting the zone.

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

Sorry for the long post :

Over the years ArloQ Geofencing has been hit and miss, very flaky. When it works, Arlo is the best system out there. If only Geofencing was reliable !

It had been working perfectly, at the medium radius for well over 6 months, then, when the new Android App with new house icon was released it stopped working properly.

After reading other online posts I tested leaving the Arlo App running and not doing my usual 'Android Close All' to save battery. That improved it but it still took ages to switch to Armed when leaving and never switched to Disarmed until I'd triggered at least once when at home. When Away I often found I had to perform the manual 'disarmed and back to Geofencing' trick to get it the switch so it's clearly now not looking for location until you force it. It's not running properly in the background even though Android Dev mode says it is. 1 Process and 0 Service.

So, the point of this post - during all this time Smartthings Geofencing has never failed me in almost 2 years so that seems the way to go. After reading many online posts I discovered that there was a new Arlo/Smartthings integration about Dec 2020 so be careful which instructions you follow. A lot are dated before the latest Arlo API. The posts that indicate a new Smartthings mode in the Arlo App are old, that doesn't happen.

The latest integration model only allows ST to switch the camera on/off. At first I thought this may be dodgy as it would have to go through the multi colour startup stage each time ..... not so. When you turn the camera off in the App it only goes into standby mode and the light stays blue, connected.

So, I've linked Arlo to Smartthings and when I cross the ST variable boundary my Arlo's, which are in permanent Armed mode, turn off and on as required.

The bonus is that when I'm indoors the cameras are not constantly streaming.

What I will do though, is, each time I get a new Arlo App I will test Geofencing because when it works it's good.

Aiku1337
Star
Star

Just wanted to add my experience. I have a doorbell (connected via wifi), two Pro 3 (connected via base station), and 3 Q's (wifi). The Q's were working fine with geofencing for a long time then around October as people started posting in this thread they stopped working. Scheduling doesn't work, geofencing doesn't work. The other cameras do detect my location properly and change to home/away correctly.

If I try disabling geofencing on the Qs then re-enabling they will update to home or away correctly. But simply leaving or entering the zone does not update the status. I haven't had time to try resetting them or removing them from my account and re-adding. It seems like that won't help however.

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

Funnily enough, I still have 1 Q on Geofencing and for the last 2 days it's been working, Home and Away.

Guess what, the App updated this morning so will it, won't it ?

Whatever Samsung Smartthings have programmed in to detect and act on phone location needs passing out to both Arlo and Google Home as it's been been working 100% for me for almost 2 years now, since I first installed it.

Arlo only seemed to get your location, as you say, when you opened the App alongside Maps.

I've recently checked my Android 'Location Services' after I've walked well outside the Geofence zone and Location Services report Arlo hasn't accessed location for many hours so no wonder it often doesn't work.

I 'close all' on my phone to save battery but Smartthings still works.

kingrc
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo app updated today but the geofencing problem still exists. As other have reported, geofencing works on my Arlo devices that connect to a base station, but does not work for my Arlo Q devices. 

Cyndarella
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's the same for me. This problem has never been corrected. I have given up and I see that Arlo has as well. I am disgusted with this company.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Cyndarella

I have escalated this and the development team Is actively investigating the cause. I will be sure to provide all updates as soon as I receive them. 

Cyndarella
Apprentice
Apprentice

I hope they actually care. We've obviously been dealing with this for MONTHS, and it has been reported to them. 

I'll believe it when I see it with my own cameras eyes. 

joyton
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem here, geofencing not working. Please resolve this problem soon, my home is at high risk when arlo cannot perform the security function as intended. Thank you.

motomax
Apprentice
Apprentice

They will likely not fix this issue. You can upgrade to the new UI (add device, select security, it will ask you to upgrade). 
the transition might not be smooth though. You’ll need to redo your modes, enable notifications on each camera, and reconfigure geofencing. There’s also only 3 modes now with is kinda lame. 

billjh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sooo… no update then? We’re just shh out of luck?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Weren’t the arlo Qs planned for EOL at years end? but your still expecting the software to be updated with fixes from last years bugs.