Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Circle in the middle with night vision

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
JDM83
Aspirant
Aspirant
  1. Hi all, Really happy with my arlo q, but then in night vision there's a strange circle like shape in the middle. I thought it's a reflection of some sort, but nothing to create it. Have a look if you can and let me know what you think. Cherrs JDM

Screenshot_2016-10-17-06-24-28.png

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It could just be the IR is stronger in the center.... Bright IR tends to make things 'white' out.

Easy thing to test is just aim the cameras to  the left or right aand see if the bright spot moves the same.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JDM83
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Yeah, that what I thought, but I'm away fom home so couldn't test it myself.

I can confirm now, that brighter spot moves with the camera. I haven't seen it on any other ARLO Q nighvision footage, should I get a replacement or is that common issue with Arlo Q?

Thanks

J

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

JDM83 wrote:

Hi,

Yeah, that what I thought, but I'm away fom home so couldn't test it myself.

I can confirm now, that brighter spot moves with the camera. I haven't seen it on any other ARLO Q nighvision footage, should I get a replacement or is that common issue with Arlo Q?

Thanks

J

Don't know if its a common problem, it may just be as is.... due to the focus of the IR illuminations focused to the center ( to  increase range when use in a different setting ) Or it may be not be diffused in the material in the rug ... don't know.

But, walk out in the night and see how it reacts on a person  🙂

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I see similar but that's because my camera is behind glass (viewing outdoors with no IR illuminators). It's the lens being lit up by either the LEDs or maybe a reflection.
crikeyrob
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just purchased the Arlo Q and like the product so far...but.... i'm facing the same issues as highlighed in this thread. There is a brighter cirle in the middle of the image and it's detracting form the overal image quality at night. I am dissapointed as i see other images without this issue, including promotional images from Arlo.

So, is this a manufacturers fault?

I am also noticing some pixelation and blurring at times, both while recording and also when in live mode. I have WIFI router 2meters from the device with full signal.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Here are two images of my blurring/pixelation issues.  I don't have an images at present of the bright white infared circle. 

pixelated-all screen.png

pixelated-part screen.png

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The circle issue is a reflection of the camera lens in the cover over the lens. In bright light, it's swamped but darker images will show it.

The blur can be due to speed issues, especially if you use the highest quality (resolution). What's your upload speed as measured by speedtest.net?
JosephineB
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same problem -- very pronounced circle and/or halo in the middle of the image when on NightVision.   This is a BUG, a serious flaw in the camera.  Not acceptable in my view at all if the IR sensors are creating a reflection like this in the camera's own cover.   Arlo should replace these cameras but I doubt they will.   I'm going to be reviewing on Amazon and mentioning this.  Just got the camera a couple of weeks ago and this is real disappointment.Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 6.29.14 PM.png