Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
GeorgeSIV
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am just reviewing the installation instructions for a newly pruchased Arlo security system with both the Wireless and and the wired Arlo-Q cameras.  Based on what I've read I need to have the Arlo Q communicate with my wireless to set it up.  My question is that once it is setup will it communicate with the Base station or do I need to keep my wireless system on and operational.  This system is being installed in a second home and I do not leave the wireless system up unless I'm there.  I was hoping that with the base station connected directly to the internet I would only have to keep my internet modem and router on and not expose my wireless system. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tivoboy,

Arlo Q/Q+ devices do no connect to the Arlo base station (for Wire-free devices) in any way. Arlo Q/Q+ cameras connect to your router.

Take a look here for more information: Arlo Q FAQs

JamesC

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Q cameras must use your WiFi - no way around it.

The base, once set up, might be able to be connected directly to your modem and continue to work. I don't knolw if anyone has tried this. Of course, you could disable the WiFi and leave the router up to let the base connect normally.
tivoboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had the same or similar question and just want to make sure its clear.

does the Arlo Q NOT use the Arlo base station for connectivity?  When I went to set it up, it really only offered the option to attach to my AP (apple AE) and not to the arlo base that all the other NON Q cameras are connected to.?

Is the Arlo base irrelevant as it applies to the Arlo Q?

TIA

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tivoboy,

Arlo Q/Q+ devices do no connect to the Arlo base station (for Wire-free devices) in any way. Arlo Q/Q+ cameras connect to your router.

Take a look here for more information: Arlo Q FAQs

JamesC