Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
chrisvandyck
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Guys, 

I'm just looking into all of this, so I'm a big new to Arlo. I'm confused if the base station is required ? ie. Do I just buy 2 Arlo Smart Cameras and I'm good to go / get the 1 week free cloud backup. 

Or do I need to buy a kit with the base station? 

Also, I would like to get one with audio for in the home - Arlo Q or baby... will those all be managed from the same app? and once again, do I need the base station for that to also be in the same network as the outdoor Arlo camera

For some reason, I'm confused - any advice would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you buy the Arlo or Arlo PRO, they require a base unit.... the base hooks via ethernet cable to you router and creates it's own wifi network that talks to the cameras only.

The Q camera ( and I believe the Baby cam ) hook into you home wifi and don't use a base

With any Arlo system/camera you get a Basic level service ( free) and cloud storage for free also... the tech support lasts 3 months. You are limited to 5 camera total on the basic plan

The cameras are all manged in one app/prgm.. and can even be at different locations if needed

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you buy the Arlo or Arlo PRO, they require a base unit.... the base hooks via ethernet cable to you router and creates it's own wifi network that talks to the cameras only.

The Q camera ( and I believe the Baby cam ) hook into you home wifi and don't use a base

With any Arlo system/camera you get a Basic level service ( free) and cloud storage for free also... the tech support lasts 3 months. You are limited to 5 camera total on the basic plan

The cameras are all manged in one app/prgm.. and can even be at different locations if needed

chrisvandyck
Aspirant
Aspirant
OK great. Thanks for clarifying. How about if I have both the arlo and arloQ - will I be able to access them all from the same 'app' / hub. Viewing all cameras?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

chrisvandyck wrote:
OK great. Thanks for clarifying. How about if I have both the arlo and arloQ - will I be able to access them all from the same 'app' / hub. Viewing all cameras?

Yes all viewable together... but they will be separate systems so to speak... arming and schedules, etc have to be done separately

chrisvandyck
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great - can you confirm if the Arlo & Arlo Pro share a base station. ie. can I mix and match. like have one Pro with 2 way in one section and one that's just a standard arlo cam

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, indeedy.  The wireless cameras are mix and match.

bryan536
Tutor
Tutor

High jguerdat, bryan536 here.

Regarding Arlo Pro cameras fitted to an Arlo base station. Are you actually saying you can talk both ways with the PRO camera even though it is tethered to a basic Arlo base station. If so, does that mean the Pro base station is very similar to the standard base station but with a few more features.

I take it the speech then is done in the camera and the base just treats it as a wifi signal just like the picture.

Just thinking ahead here.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Exactly. The Pro base adds a siren and USB connectivity as well as a new shape. Functionality, that's it.
bryan536
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks very much for that information. My wife is disabled and finds it difficult to move about so having one of these cameras would allow me to check on her and speak when I am out and about.