Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q suddenly disconnected from WiFi. how do I reconnect? Do I need to update to new Arlo app?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
DMTZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, I set up three arlo q cameras in a condo last week. When I finished the setup everything worked fine. Then it told me to update the firmware. I pressed the update button and that was the last time that camera worked. Tried resetting, deleting, etc. nothing worked. It chimed when I held the bar code up but it was never recognized. I got tired and took it back and replaced it with a new one which is working fine.
Two questions:
Another camera has now disconnected from the WiFi. I am 150 miles away. How do I reconnected it? The other two are okay right now. So router is working.
Number two question. After my experience with “upgrading” I REALLY don’t want to upgrade to a new app. Has anyone upgraded from long distance and actually succeeded? What is your secret??
Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DMTZ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok. I updated to new app. Two cameras still worked. I rebooted the router. Third camera still didn’t work. I drove the 6 hours back and forth. You are not going to believe this... the contractor had turned off the electric in that room. All cameras are now working!!:). Thank you!!:). Your replies were helpful:)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only ways to potentially reconnect the offline camera is to remotely reboot the router, if the router has been configured to allow remote access. Otherwise, physical access would be needed to reboot the camera. In the meantime, try force closing the app as well as use a computer browser to confirm that the camera is actually offline and that it's not an app display issue.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi DMTZ,

Number two question. After my experience with “upgrading” I REALLY don’t want to upgrade to a new app. Has anyone upgraded from long distance and actually succeeded? What is your secret??

After September 30, 2019, we will no longer support the existing app you are using, so all users must download the new Arlo app from the App Store or Google Play in order to continue enjoying the Arlo app with their Arlo devices. You can read more about migrating to the new Arlo app here: Arlo is migrating to a new Arlo app this month.

DMTZ
Aspirant
Aspirant
I checked my computer. It says the camera is disconnected. It wants me to be there to push the button and show the barcode to reconnect. My two other cameras are working. I don’t want to reboot the router if you think this will cause the other two cameras to disconnect. What are your thoughts.
DMTZ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Do I have to manually reconnect my cameras when I upgrade the app?? I’m 150 miles away.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

When installing the new Arlo app, you shouldn't need to re-set up your Arlo Q camera again as it should be saved on your Arlo account.

If your camera is showing offline and you need to re-sync it, you will need to be with the camera physically.

Tout_court
Aspirant
Aspirant
I downloaded the new app.
None of my devices showed up.
I attempted to add new devices and it could not find the device.
When I went back to the old app it found it just fine.
Tomorrow is the last day for the old app. Suggestions?
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Tout_court,

Have you tried reinstalling the new Arlo app to see if that helps? Are you also able to see your devices through the web client on your computer?

DMTZ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok. I updated to new app. Two cameras still worked. I rebooted the router. Third camera still didn’t work. I drove the 6 hours back and forth. You are not going to believe this... the contractor had turned off the electric in that room. All cameras are now working!!:). Thank you!!:). Your replies were helpful:)