Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q not connecting with my wireless network.

Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 22 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation
Nelsey
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, I've been trying to set up and install my new Arlo Q camera.  I follow the set up instructions to a T. It all goes well until after it chimes for the QR code.  Then it simply seems to search and search to connect. I get a message saying: "Your camera is establishing a connection ... This may take a minute."  Only, it never connects. What could the issue be?

Thanks!

39 REPLIES 39
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yes, until the camera clicks and the LED flashes amber. This sort of procedure is needed by virtually any device that has a reset button since they don't want you to trigger a reset accidentally.
jim269
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have bought five Arlo Q Plus cameras & had successfully set them up at various locations, wirelessly accessing my wifi. All worked well for around a month. Then last week, one by one of my cameras stopped functioning and the app said they were not connected to the router. But my wifi network had not changed. Other non-Arlo apps still wotk. I tried to reinstall, resynx and even factory reset but to no avail. Please help.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It would seem to be an issue with your WiFi.  When you factory reset and try to sync, what happens?  What's the LED show? WHat happens when showing the camera the QR code? Does your WiFi SSID and/or passphrase contain special characters? If the router is a dual band have you tried the other band?

jim269
Aspirant
Aspirant
After I factory reset & try to sync, it proceeds smoothly until it fails to discover my device. The LESs seem fine. I only begin installing when blinking Amber, and after I press Sync, it blinks blue. I get the ring sound when it reads the QS code ... then nothing else. After a while.it says it can't find my device & suggests I factory reset again ... I.have been thru this.multiple times and tried my different cams.
jim269
Aspirant
Aspirant
It can't be an issue with my WiFi SSID as the system worked for a month+ before last week..Yes, my WiFi me has an underscore character in it (_) but as I said, it worked fine for.over a month.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It might be worth enabling the guest WiFi on your router, if it supports that, using a plain SSID and passphrase, just to test. I don't think a firmware update has happened recently but something has obviously changed, unless somehow all your cameras developed the same problem in hardware.
Ritcheyj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a base station and an Arlo Q connected to this network.  Trying to connect this 2nd Arlo Q, which I had connected to another network previously, where it worked fine.  I deleted this camera from settings before trying to connect to this network.   I tried power disconnect and factory reset (several times).  Error message: Sorry!  We were unable to find your Arlo Q.  Any suggestions?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ritcheyj,

Are you trying to claim the camera on the same account that it was previously on or is this a new account that you are trying to add the camera to?

JamesC

Ritcheyj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks JamesC for getting back.   I failed to use the correct password for the new network . It's now working great!

JamesC wrote:

Ritcheyj,

Are you trying to claim the camera on the same account that it was previously on or is this a new account that you are trying to add the camera to?

JamesC

All is OK except my pride.😜

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ritcheyj,

It happens. Thanks for letting us know you were able to resolve the issue!

JamesC

robcar55
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nelsey wrote:

Thank you James, I spoke with Netgear support yesterday and got it all sorted out. We had to sign in to a different Wifi network and now it works well. Thanks again!

Kyle_s
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I have 3 Arlo Pro wireless cameras, they all work great on my wifi. I just bought a Arlo Q and it won't connect to my wifi. 

It will connect to my Guest network and I can claim it, but it won't connect to my current network which has all of the Arlo Pro's.

My wifi network is named "┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐" so I believe it is a limitation of the Arlo Q handling these characters, since the Arlo Pro is fine. And if I try to join the Q to "Test wifi" SSID it is fine. 

Wondering if there is a fix or work around.

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Even one special character will prevent connection.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of devices like this that allow many special characters.

Kyle_s
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat, I would love to know more about why you think that?

I currently have 30+ devices on my network from phones, tablets, computers, watches, wifi light bulbs, wifi light switches, Chromecasts, Android TV, Nest cameras, Nest Thermostat, 3 Arlo Pro cameras, and more... NONE of which have ever had an issue.

This seems to ONLY be a limitation of the Arlo Q

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a couple of Chromecasts (original and new) and neither wants to play with an underscore. I renamed my SSIDs to allow it to work. Newer firmware may have fixed this but I'm not changing it again.

I've also had issues with high channel 5GHz connections at full speed. I've found I need to reduce the speed to 600-750Mb/s, depending on the router, to allow connections.