Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q not connecting with my wireless network.

Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 22 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation
Nelsey
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, I've been trying to set up and install my new Arlo Q camera.  I follow the set up instructions to a T. It all goes well until after it chimes for the QR code.  Then it simply seems to search and search to connect. I get a message saying: "Your camera is establishing a connection ... This may take a minute."  Only, it never connects. What could the issue be?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nelsey
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you James, I spoke with Netgear support yesterday and got it all sorted out. We had to sign in to a different Wifi network and now it works well. Thanks again!

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try a reset first using the reset button for several seconds until the LEDs start blinking.  Can you connect after that?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nelsey,

Did a factory reset as jguerdat suggested resolve the issue or are you continuing to experience this behavior?

Please let us know!

JamesC

Nelsey
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James, the reset did not work.  Arlo Q still just searches and searches in order to connect. All other devices in my house (4 iphones, 3 mac laptops, ipads etc) connect to my wifi no problem.  I'm getting very frustrated with the Arlo Q.   Anyone experience similar issues?  Advice would be greatly appreciated or I need to return this camera. Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No need to be frustrated. Sometimes new equipment doesn't work properly. Can you return it to the store or vendor that sold it to you for a replacement? Otherwise, a trouble ticket can result in an RMA.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nelsey,

Be sure you're entering your SSID and password EXACTLY as they appear for your router (case sensitive). When the Arlo Q fails to connect does it give you a chime notification sound indicating that it failed?

JamesC

Nelsey
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you James, I spoke with Netgear support yesterday and got it all sorted out. We had to sign in to a different Wifi network and now it works well. Thanks again!

Golias
Aspirant
Aspirant
Nelsey, I am having exatly the same problem. You mean you first signed in a different wifi and only then you signed in your wifi network and then was fine?
What was the explanation?
Thanks for your help.
AJDhillon
Initiate
Initiate
I have same issue, it's not connecting, other arlo q works fine. This one says connecting but it never does and tried resetting and everything. This worked for couple months but now I needed to change the wifi and this never work. Should i return. Need help
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

AJDhillon wrote:
I have same issue, it's not connecting, other arlo q works fine. This one says connecting but it never does and tried resetting and everything. This worked for couple months but now I needed to change the wifi and this never work. Should i return. Need help

Unplug the camera and back in to restart it. If that doesn't help, try removing the camera from Settings and resync it using the usual process.  Make sure your WiFi has no special characters (spaces, underscores, etc.) in either the SSID or passphrase.  Also, apparently the Q won't connect if using WEP - use WPA2.

If it's defective, you'll need to create a trouble ticket for an RMA.

dsmckee
Aspirant
Aspirant

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Could be that your SSID and/or passphrase has non-alphanumeric characters in it. If so, you'll need to change them.

Drifter6
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue. Arlo Q went offline and it would not reconnect to wifi. I removed camera in settings as the post suggested and it worked fine. 

Pham75
Tutor
Tutor
I have the same problem with you I think I need to return it
Pham75
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Pham75, you still haven't given us any details i0n any of your responses or threads.  How can we even try to help? Also, note that the person you responded to fixed his own problem.

CHiss
Initiate
Initiate

Yikes - so let me get this straight - in order to get this "new" Q (the old one connected fine - put the camera junked out) online, I have to kick all my other devices off and reconnect EVERYTHING on a new password? To include the family which will have to sign in, again.

Sounds like an Arlo issue and firmware needs to do a little more fixing. Meanwhile my audio surveillance doesn't work? Not to mention I've got a set of original devices - one of which stopped detecting any motion but me coming and going (which is super unhelpful as well).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure what you mean by this - if you have had a Q working, there's no need to change anything.  The issue is that if you can't connect due to non-alphanumeric characters in either the SSID or passphrase, then, yes, you need to change things up.  Chromecast has the same issue.

To be clear, you've had one Q connected previously and it works (apparently not optimally which could be a totally different issue).  Now you're trying to connect another Q to the same network but having problems?  If so, try resetting the new Q using the reset button for several seconds until the camera clicks and the LED is flashing amber.

Edit:  It appears the latest Q firmware supports many special characters (but of course, you have to set the camera up to check versions as well as to receive updates).  Check this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q-Arlo-Q-Plus-Installation/Arlo-Q-will-not-connect-to-WiFi-rou...

audreyestep
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I connected all 4 cameras perfectly.  I go to set up the Q and follow precisely the steps and get the Not connected noise from the camera.  I've reset using the paperclip, unplugged and replugged, tried it all again, with both of my Q cameras and it still will not connect to my router.  What can I do?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Without divulging secrets, what characters are in use with both your SSID and passphrase?  Even one not-allowed character will cause this.

CHiss
Initiate
Initiate

Eek. I hate this frustration for you.

Did you previously have the other cams set, then you got the new Q or are you doing them all at essentially the same time, just started w/ the ones that don't have audio?

When you go to add the new device > arlo Q > plug in > Connect to Network - make sure you are selecting your netwark and adding the correct PW, do not allow you phone to do this for you because it could be using your Arlo sign in information > follow the rest of the prompted steps.

If there is still an issue: Go into your router via the web/browser (if you've forgotten, google the router brand and default IP reset) to make absolutely sure you are using the correct log in & password.

Finally, there are also reported issues of special characters in your PW not being recognized. If you've already found your default, now you can reset the router and not use special characters. This is the most frustrating design to be sure. In a world of redundant authentication and multiple devices, you'd think this wouldn't be at issue. Anyway, with the new low-grade password, the Q (and hackers?) should have an easier time. You, will now have a much more difficult time getting all you mobile devices, computers, wireless cable system, etc all back online.

If none of this works ... take out a ticket w/ netgear (which is also CRAZY infuriating bc by going to "contact support" you get a ridiculous and endless cycle of the same page popping up) DON'T "Go to Support" keep scrolling to "Drop Us A Line" or "Live Chat" (http://www.arlo.com/en-US/support/contact.aspx )

Install guide PDF: http://arlo.com/en-us/images/documents/arlo_q/arlo_q_qplus_um.pdf

Best of Luck

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

CHiss wrote:

Finally, there are also reported issues of special characters in your PW not being recognized. If you've already found your default, now you can reset the router and not use special characters. This is the most frustrating design to be sure. In a world of redundant authentication and multiple devices, you'd think this wouldn't be at issue. Anyway, with the new low-grade password, the Q (and hackers?) should have an easier time. You, will now have a much more difficult time getting all you mobile devices, computers, wireless cable system, etc all back online.

FWIW, Google's Chromecast also doesn't like special characters.

cyen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I am having a problem with my arlo q 1080p.  I had it connected to my existing account and it stopped working so I deleted it because I was having problems connecting it and tried to reinstall it back and it wont allow me to do so.  It get all the way up to the chime sound and it would not connect.  How can I solve this problem.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Try a reset of the camera and resync.
cyen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did try that.  I pushed a paper clip in the little reset hole.  Do I need to hold the button down for a long period