Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
arlonester
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I have noticed that my Arlo Q has been missing some obvious motion/audio detections.  I will literally walk pass my arlo and it does not detect anything.  Sometimes, I will have to go up to the camera and wave at it from a few feet away just to get a notification.  When i first got it, it was the good amount of sensitivity.  I did not change any of my settings and it is already almost on the highest sensitivity.  I have reset, turned on and off but it always eventually misses notifications. 

Could it be that my Arlo is overworked because sometimes i can get a hundred notifications a day?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I wouldn't think a machine would be overworked like a human would.  However, there are a few things I can think of that may be an issue. Obviously, it could be the camera just going bad but with "hundreds of notifications a day" I'd think that's not likely. That could lead to a different observation, though - there's a reset time between recordings. If you happen to try to trigger it too quickly after a recording, nothing happens.  That should only be a few to maybe 15 seconds - you might want to test it to see how long it takes in your situation.

johnnydangster
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am here because of similar issue:  I set my Arlo Q to high sensitivity but sometimes I would find gaps in recording.  I would see someone walks toward the camera but do not see the clip when s/he walks away from the camera.  No logical explaination other than there is some kind of lag in between clips?   Tried to chat w customer support but couldn't get connected.  There doesn't seem to have a support @ netgear email address or something?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Email doesn't work unless chat is unavailable. I disagree with that.

There is a lag between recordings of ~5-15 seconds. Is that about what you're seeing?

Customer18
Guide
Guide
I am curious how long the recording timeframe is set for when something is captured approaching but not receding from the device. Have you considered adjusting the recording timeframe upward from the standard 15 seconds? It might be helpful to adjust the recording timeframe to the maximum of 300 seconds because unless I am mistaken it should not record that long unless the audio or video sensor has been activated.
johnnydangster
Aspirant
Aspirant

Before posting in here I saw another thread and found the setting to change the minimum recordings to 60 seconds.  I'll see if it helps.  It's been my experience that I'd see someone come in but not leave.  So yes, there's a bit of delay.  Sometimes it's quite critical.  I noticed the Q will record about 3 seconds before motion so I figured it's always buffering but I guess not.  We should have a settings like record until motions stop + X seconds or something.  That should be a bit safer than setting a fixed time. 

Does anyone know if setting video at 1080p, how big the video would be and what's the processing time required for it to upload? My upload speed is 10mbps.  Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q is always streaming - that's how you see the video of what happens just before the motion detection. However, if you want to see that stream you must subscribe to CVR.

I just looked at one of my videos - a 2 minute recording was ~8MB. That can vary since my recording was pretty stationary, I'd expect more motion would make the video larger. Uploading the video is supposed to max out to ~1.5Mbps so your 10Mbps is fine.

arlonester
Tutor
Tutor

I understand there may be a lag.  I do not think this is the case as sometimes it completely misses a detection when i literally go up to the camera and wave. No dection appears.

johnnydangster
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have you adjusted sensitivity? also, motion detection is best when the object is moving across the camera, not directly at it.