Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
CindiC
Follower
Follower

At first the microphone was working from home but when I upgraded my plan to run 24 hours I began having problems with the microphone working....I can hear what is going on at home but I can't respond back.  I see others having same problem but haven't seen a solution.  

1)  I have a Droid Turbo II

2) Verizon

3) not connected to WIFI when away from home

Please help me resolve this issue.

Cindi

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Easiest thing is to first check and make sure Speaker is turned on...If you can hear whats happening, the mic is already on.

SETTINGS > Q camera.

Also make sure it's turned on with all devices used..I use an Android and a IOS and it can be off in one device but not the other.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
wilburville
Tutor
Tutor

This question was mine as well: Arlo Q microphone, for listening not working. However the other question seemed to be about the Arlo Q speaker, not it's listening microphone.

My Arlo Q has worked wonderfully for 9 months. Then I noticed if I live streamed the room Arlo Q is in, I couldn't hear anything. I checked all setiings.

Considered maybe it was an AC1900 R7000 router firmware update recently. I gave up and started a text chat with Netgear Text Support. I've used them before. Outstanding results. In this last case, quite embarrassing but I will share the words for it might solve other's "Arlo Q microphone doesn't work", especially when it did for so long.

Tech: So you cannot hear anything when you stream the camera in the phone, correct?

Me: Yes.

Tech: Okay. have you tried to login to a pc and check if the audio is working?

Me: No (I assumed Arlo Q itself was the problem so didn't think to try this and we didn't go that route during the chat)

Tech: If you want my option for you is to reset the Arlo Q camera and add it back to your account.

Tech: Yes. Just press and hold the reset button of the camera using a pin for 1 full minute.

Me: OK I am back. I did the reset for a minute. Heard clicking noises.

Tech: Anyway just wait for the light to blink amber in the camera and then make sure that your mobile data is turned off on your phone and then log back in to your Arlo account and hit Add Device (I went to Airplane mode to turn all radios off in my Smartphone, then made sure WIFI was ON)

Tech: Okay. just make sure that you will enter the correct wireless name and password and it should be good, then try the audio again.

Me: It finally connected. I believe I am hearing audio, Yes I am. Gosh it worked!!!

Tech: Would there be anything else that I can assist you with today?

Me: I feel silly now. Another lesson learned. Computers and resets, as always. All done. Thank you so much.

Tech: You are most welcome. Well in this even devices needs to be refreshed.

"Even Devices Need To Be Refreshed"

Hope this helps others.

The Tech person was a lady.

Bob1231
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also had the problem of not being able to use the microphone remotely. Through experimentation I found that turning off my cell phone Wi-Fi and then logging in to my camera and pressing the microphone button solves the problem. I hate having to do that but I can use the microphone if I turn Wi-Fi off my phone. If this is typical and it is the solution Arlo should work on a better solution
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not typical. What phone and OS version? Have you tried reinstalling the app?

Bob1231
Aspirant
Aspirant

iPhone OS9.3.2

Haven't tried re-installing app yet

Very consistent... with WiFi on and connected to a WiFi signal I get "connecting", above the microphone, and it connects 1 out of 10 or 15 times (usually very late at night). With WiFi off it connects within 5 to 10 seconds every time.  On the road when not in reach of WiFi connection, but with the WiFi setting on, it does connect.

wilburville
Tutor
Tutor

I hope I am not a distraction. Hardly a novice with computers but I failed to remember what the Tech lady reminded: "Even Devices Need To Be Refreshed".

I have worked with computers that were hardened and that rarely if ever locked up. Jetliner FMCs. Aren't you glad? But for personal home computers and devices, not so hardened, sometimes a system reboot fixes it. We all know that. Now to practice what we preach.

Straying a bit, early on with my AC1900 R7000 router I applied a firmware update. Shortly thereafter, I started getting some funky behavior with the house network. I contacted Netgear. They asked if, after I applied the firmware update if I had also refreshed the router with a factory reset? No, I had not. There was an instruction to do just that as part of the update. I did right then and all the problems vanished. Of course I had to spend a few minutes rebuilding the network with my SSIDs, passwords etc. "Even Devices Need To Be Refreshed".

For nearly 9 months Arlo Q worked perfectly. Then recently I could not hear anything. I could talk to the cats remotely. I could see everything but not hear anything. I couldn't find a solution to my problem in these forums. I did try a reset on Arlo Q but it was a quick pin push. Tech said hold it at least a minute. That did it. Flashing amber. The solution was to refresh and reset Arlo Q and install it back onto the account and network. Reinstall the software or App oftentimes fixes things. Duh! 

I have to praise Netgear Tech support. They are phenomenal. 

QueryString
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks it works. Short verson is: 

- press resetbutton on your camara for at least 1 minute. (led is slowblinking amber)

- in Arlo app. remove "old" camera in settings

- then add device - same procedure as a new device

Good luck!

wilburville
Tutor
Tutor

QueryString wrote:

Thanks it works. Short verson is: 

- press resetbutton on your camara for at least 1 minute. (led is slowblinking amber)

- in Arlo app. remove "old" camera in settings

- then add device - same procedure as a new device

Good luck!

Me again.

First time out, Arlo Q lasted nearly 9 months before I had any audio listening-in problems. Problem was solved as explained in the last few emails.

The listening-in audio failed again! Easy enough to reset the Arlo Q as described. But darn, why did it happen again so soon?

And the bigger question is, if I am away from home for an extended period, using movement and/or listening-in features to trigger alerts if Armed or just to look and hear into the surveilled area and something goes awry again, how do I reset the Arlo Q remotely? Is it even possible?

TIA

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No way to perform a reset remotely, only a restart. You may have a flaky camera - contact support and open a case each time this happens for tracking. That may help get a replacement.