Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
hometechfreek
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased my second Arlo Q, in hopes of actually hooking it up to my existing camera network. 

I got on the phone with tech support and they said because my wirelss passowd includes a character that is non-alpha or numeric that it won't allow me to install it as they said the firmware on the arlo q does not recognize those digits. Well, I do not want to reconfigure my password as it is attached to about 20 devices.  any other solutions? It seems totally ridiculous that they would sell a product with this bug 😞

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hometechfreek,

Consider setting up a temporary guest network. Connect your Arlo Q to the guest network allow the firmware update to complete and then go through setup. Once the firmware upgrade has completed and you have claimed your Arlo Q on your account, you can then switch the Arlo Q to your primary network by navigating to Settings > My Devices > Select your Arlo Q > WiFi Network. After these steps have been completed you can then disable the guest network if you choose to.

I hope this helps!

JamesC

hometechfreek
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just tried to hook up through open guest network and still getting issues. I have ordered 2 of these from amazon now and I am getting ready to complain to them and return. Is it possible to buy them with the firmware updated already? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A temporary PITA but how about just changing the passphrase on your router?  Should have worked with the guest network (assuming you didn't assign the same passphrase to it) but maybe, just maybe...

You could also try setting it up at a neighbor's/friend's house with WiFi.

In any event, we have no idea how deep the supply chain is to be able to figure out when new Q cameras will show up with newer firmware.  Far faster and easier to use a WiFi setup that doesn't have the issues in the first place.

MollyP
Aspirant
Aspirant
I experience same troubles as mentioned above. I have even tried with an open network without WPA but Q cannot connect. I will call apple support for time capsule, hope they can assist..
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Q requires a WPA2 connection.