Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q cameras, two that were formerly working for years, now both read 'device failed to connect'

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

As I read other Arlo Q owners postings over recent days, I too am experiencing Arlo camera outage/unreliability.

I operate two Arlo Q cameras at a distant location, they have been working well for more than two years. Both stream through a 5G Router, and each continues to report on the App.

Since 5 July 2020 when I attempt to view both screen image windows displayed 'device failed to connect'. Over the recent week nothing on my end has changed. All other cameras (Arlo Pro 2 and their Base Stations) appear to work OK. I suspect the problem has to do with Arlo, and is not on the user's end.

Even when the 'failed to connect' message came up I was able to access the camera controls through the iPhone app, and through the web browser too. In 'Devices' tab I switched each camera 'Device On' setting to off, then after 20 seconds switched back to on. I tried to select 'Restart' but this returned an error to the effect that it cannot connect. Today after trying this and that remotely, one of the Arlo Q came back and I can observe it's view; I am not sure what I did - or if that caused it to come back on line.

The second Arlo Q continues to display the 'spinning wheel' and "Connecting..." message, then that reverts to a 'device failed to connect' message and it's 'Restart' option is grayed out. I navigated through the Device settings, was even able to bring up a current screen view under 'Video Setting' and 'Activity Zones' settings (to set alarm zones for example) however, going back to the 'Devices' pane the camera will not bring up the current view.

For sanity's sake please do not suggest I call, wait forever, to contact Arlo Tech Support. See my former post about them at <https://community.arlo.com/t5/Community-Feedback/Arlo-Customer-Service-too-many-shortcomings-and-wha...>

M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
martincc
Luminary
Luminary

Ended up getting both Arlo Q cameras back up. One Arlo Q came back up on its own, though I had tried to have it restart and whatever else though the App and Web Browser. For the other camera I had to ask someone to enter that location to unplug the camera then plug it back in, that solved it. I do not understand how the camera is not 'smart' enough to know when to reset itself.

M

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may want to install WiFi switches on those cameras when you get a chance to be able to remotely power cycle them. Doesn't help now but could be useful down the road.

If someone else has access to those cameras, get them to power cycle the cameras to see if that helps. Since this issue is happening to both the app and browser, you can pretty much eliminate those as possible problems. I would try the phone on both WiFi and cell service to see if one works better than the other.

NDTtek
Tutor
Tutor

Isn't the whole point of the cameras to monitor when you're away? I'm also experiencing the same problem. Power cycling or not, it has to do with Arlo and they should be aware of the issue and post about it. No?
I get the notifications on my phone so the cameras are actually capturing movement and functioning, it just does not make it to the app or website for me to view. My other non-Q camera works just fine.

NDTtek
Tutor
Tutor

Anyone having issues: go to your camera settings on the website (not the app) then scroll to the bottom and click restart. That solved my issue.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

Something changed, again, at about the end of June or early July, likely on Arlo's end. Again I am experiencing failures to connect to this or that camera on the iPhone app and Web Browser, poor latency - even when trying to activate or disable when leaving or arriving.

In cases of the Arlo Q, formerly my most reliable Arlo cameras, they developed failures to reach them, though one of the two Arlo Q's has come back up on its own and is working. I tried to restart the one Arlo Q that remains out of service, the Restart menu option is there and not grayed out now. When I do select Resart, then confirm, an error message comes up (to the effect) "The camera is busy...". The view remains locked with some image taken weeks ago; I cannot get the screen to refresh in the Devices thumbnail views, or in the camera Video Settings (and Alarm Zone settings) view. I have not been able to travel the 1,000 miles or so to try unplugging and resetting the camera.

And about that suggestion of a Wifi switch - this is SUPPOSED TO BE A SECURITY SYSTEM that should be reliable and stand on its own, not rely on iDevices switches or all other manner of add-ons to help the system do its job.

I have over the recent years concluded this is a promising system of hardware, with some nice firmware, but that keeps getting screwed up by Arlo Engineering. Some is frustrating hardware (no AC adapters for battery hungry original camera models, the poorly executed good idea of the Solar Panel: crappy USB micro connectors, inability to daisy-chain multiple panels to improve reliability in cloud prone times of year, failure to provide cables for sale, etc.). Then Arlo abuses customers and loses good will by their 'customer support'. I have not spent a penny on any new Arlo cameras since the Pro 2, and am only waiting as competing systems improve, and I watch their customer feedback. If I had not invested in nearly 20 cameras at three locations, I would have changed out not long after Netgear spun off Arlo. Simply appalling.

Arlo is simply not yet a reliable security system (I am well qualified to judge this). They focus MUCH EFFORT ON NEW CAMERAS, TOO LITTLE ON GETTING FIRMWARE & SUPPORT RIGHT. In this increasingly competitive climate some players are already taking market share of cameras. Even replacement rechargeable battery packs are now sold by third parties and this is costing Arlo sales. if things don't change then Arlo may be nudged out by players who can hire better people. If so, then I hope they please get on with it, either others offer better tech or Arlo gets better, so I can implement something more reliable and less frustrating.

Martin

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

Ended up getting both Arlo Q cameras back up. One Arlo Q came back up on its own, though I had tried to have it restart and whatever else though the App and Web Browser. For the other camera I had to ask someone to enter that location to unplug the camera then plug it back in, that solved it. I do not understand how the camera is not 'smart' enough to know when to reset itself.

M