Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q camera quality

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Mindygirl
Guide
Guide

We have an Arlo Q that is under an eave and facing the street.  If someone drives into our driveway we can’t read the number plate or get a decent look at the person if they get out of the car.  We have the setting on 1080,  so how can we better a much better picture than we are getting now.  Do we need a different camera?  We have Arlo wireless, and Arlo Q on our system, but the camera I am referring to above is an Arlo Q.

3 REPLIES 3
Mindygirl
Guide
Guide

We have an Arlo Q that is under an eave and facing the street.  If someone drives into our driveway we can’t read the number plate or get a decent look at the person if they get out of the car.  We have the setting on 1080,  so how can we better a much better picture than we are getting now.  Do we need a different camera?  We have Arlo wireless, and Arlo Q on our system, but the camera I am referring to above is an Arlo Q.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1080p is still only 2 megapixels and then there's the wide angle view (130 degrees) plus compression so the image really isn't great for IDing at much of a distance. This is true of any camera with similar specs. Zooming in only goes so far. High contrast can help but that's not something you can control.

The best you can do is to get a camera closer to the action so it's larger in the first place. I really wish Arlo would provide a camera with a longer focal length (narrower FOV) so it could be used for ID purposes.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Dupe post.