Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Lilly2018
Star
Star

My Arlo Q will not connect to my wifi. It searched for the wifi but seems to time out before it can connect.  I get an awful buzzer sound and the light blinks amber again.  Is there a trick to connecting to wifi; does the wifi password have to be a specific length?  There is literally no information that is useful on Arlo's website and I am thinking about returning and finding a more simple device.  Arlo's support is seemingly limited to online forums which is not a good sign.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

17 REPLIES 17
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I wouls try and factory reset it ( hold in reset till led flashes amber , about 10 sec )

and then try to sync again

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lilly2018 wrote:

My Arlo Q will not connect to my wifi. It searched for the wifi but seems to time out before it can connect.  I get an awful buzzer sound and the light blinks amber again.  Is there a trick to connecting to wifi; does the wifi password have to be a specific length?  There is literally no information that is useful on Arlo's website and I am thinking about returning and finding a more simple device.  Arlo's support is seemingly limited to online forums which is not a good sign.

There's a ton of information here if you search or use the product support links. I simply searched on "q wifi", selected the Support Articles and got 14 pages. There's also links to support but I'll spare you this time:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

As to the original issue, does your router supply only one SSID for both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands? If so, create unique SSIDs, try connecting and, if successful, try allowing the unified SSID again.

Lilly2018
Star
Star

i have unique ssid's for both and am trying with the 2.4

Lilly2018
Star
Star

I just tried the chat and it doesn't work....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't know why chat isn't working but there are also phone options.

Sonata
Guide
Guide

I had to use the web interface to do the sync.  The big discovery for me was finding I had to manually add the 5 or the 24 to the end of the SSID/gateway name.

Lilly2018
Star
Star

I don't undersand what you mean by adding 5 or 24 to the SSID gateway name.  I didn't do that. here is how i got the camera connected:

None of the limited solutions provided me worked. Before I returned the camera for a refund my son (who has a master’s degree in computer science) offered to try to connect this camera.  He had the same exact problems that I did initially; after about an hour and as a last resort he asked if my blue tooth was turned on my iPhone.  It was.  After turning off blue tooth we tried again to connect the camera.  As he followed the app directions he did not scan the QR code and clicked continue and the camera connected.  We still don’t understand what happened except the blue tooth on my iPhone was apparently  preventing the app from connecting with my Wi-Fi. My son said this camera was very unintuitive and not user friendly.  I agree!

If anyone has had issues with the Arlo app and setting up the ArloQ camera on an Iphone 6S and bluetooth please let me know but more importantly let Arlo help know.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A possibility (and I have no idea how possible it is) is that the BT signal, which is also 2.4GHz like most WiFi networks, was interfering with the WiFi signal to the nearby camera. We've had other instances of non-WiFi interference of the 2.4GHz band causing issues.

Sonata
Guide
Guide

My apologies.  The 5 & 24 (5GHz & 2.4GHz) refer to the two signal frequencies commonly used by wifi routers these days, where the router appends the SSID (router/gateway name) with a 5 or a 24.

Lilly2018
Star
Star

ok thank you.  my SSID doesn't have that extention

Lilly2018
Star
Star

thank you.  the BT was definintly interfering with my activation process.  I hope Arlo will include this in the instruction on the app and in the FAQ

techguy1623
Aspirant
Aspirant

I could not connet to wifi either. I had to reset the camera and then I was able to connect.

-Cheers

grahamjcracker
Initiate
Initiate

I have had nothing but trouble since I purchased these cameras. I am no comuter genius by a longshot but it's not rocket science to connect (according to directions). Now I read these blogs with frequency extensions, bluetooth interference etc, and wonder how one with little knowledge of those areas is supposed  to use the device. One of my cameras NEVER would connect to anything, and the other worked for a while, (after a long setup with support process), but then stopped working. I decided to remove them from my office and bring them home to try them out there, now neither will connect, and yes I did turn off my Iphone bluetooth. I want to throw these things in the lake except I paid too much money for them. Never been more disappointed in a product in my life. OK, done venting! Off to the lake. 

Ozbeachandy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had same problem but had great support to fix problem. Try this.

Hold reset button for 1 minute, a click will be heard. Place the arlo q close to router whilst you set up.

Now go through the setup procedure and you should now get connected to your WiFi.

Remember to give your q a name. 

Hope this helps

lucadou
Initiate
Initiate
I actually found the issue for me was the QR code, it just isn’t big enough for the Q to read from a smaller phone screen (iPhone 8 regular in this case). Here is what worked for me:
1. Complete the setup to the point where QR code is on screen.
2. Take a screenshot of your phone and crop around the QR code.
3. Open the image on your phone so that the QR code fills the screen.
4. Hold it up to your camera to pair. Done.

It took me a while to figure this out, but it worked for me. The problem might affect some more than others depending on your screen size, brightness and resolution.
JoniB
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had to reset the camera which takes time for the camera to make a click.  I had to remove the camera in order for it to work after several resets.  I set up one camera on web and the other on app.  Not sure what the glitch is.  Thanks for all the input.

It helped me. 

lovetokite2
Aspirant
Aspirant

that did it for me...thank you