Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Fotog
Guide
Guide

Just recently the saved videos will not play.  When clicking on one the screen goes dark and says "Loading" but nothing further happens.

This happens in Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge on a windows 10 machine, but works fine if I use Chrome.

I have gone through all the fixes (I think) such as managing add-ons to make sure Flash is turned on, etc.

Any suggestion for further troubleshooting?

P.S. - Saved videos also play fine on iPhoneX and LG Tablet

160 REPLIES 160
MidnightRider
Guide
Guide

We all seem to be having the same problem:  Live stream works, playback from library does not. There is a very brief snapshot that displays, then just a black screen that says "Loading." Adobe Flash Player settings are the same as before the problem. If you don't like Chrome (e.g., Google) then you can probably use Mozilla Firefox, which seems to work fine even on an old Windows Vista system at another location that I maintain.

MidnightRider (original source of this string).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating reports of this issue. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

dryoho
Star
Star

I've posted previously about receiving motion push notifications but no video showing up in Library.  There's another issue that is probably related.  If I try to view account and library thru the Arlo.netgear.com website vs the iOS app, I encounter multiple errors.  In Safari, when I log in and view My Account, I can see Personal Information and Plan Details, but get the following error when I select "View Cameras":  "Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid."  In Chrome, after logging into Arlo.netgear.com, I get the following error for "View Cameras": This website is repeatedly trying to open another application" with choices "Block" or "Allow".  Tapping Allow does nothing. On my Win 10 Desktop I can access my account and library and videos in both Edge and Chrome.  However, as mentioned before regarding the other issue, the videos don't show up in the library anyway after being notified of motion.  I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.  Evidently wide spread issue as "support" has told me this is a KNOWN ISSUE that's being worked on.  In the meantime, the Arlo system is essentially non-functional.

Colin_P
Aspirant
Aspirant

After several months of smooth operation, I can no longer view previously captured clips in Arlo’s Library. Instead of showing a captured video, I get a black window which infinitely displays “buffering”.  

Arlo’s Support pages attribute the issue to Comcast’s lower download speeds, which I do not find to be correct for the following reasons:

1. Today, my Comcast modem was replaced, and they found no indication of line or modem issues
  1. This issue only occurs when Windows 10 PCs with the Microsoft Edge browser is used. There is no buffering issue whatsoever when Google Chrome or Android phones are used with the same Comcast modem
  2. I have restarted Arlo's base and my new modem but nothing seems to help.

This leads me to the beleive that something has changed with MS Edge, perhaps due to a recent automatic update causing a conflict between Arlo and MS Edge. I have written to MS support and hope someone can offer a solution soon.

SatCommGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem.  Library clips wont play in windows 10, just blank window with loading displayed.

mathisje
Tutor
Tutor

As I was advised, use Chrome or Firefox until Netgear patches Arlo ro work IE and Edge. Android LG3 phone has no problems palying clips.

Jim

Lawrencecd
Aspirant
Aspirant

@DawnM wrote:

Hello all,

I've escalated this to our Engineering team. I'll let you know when I have an update. 

Lawrencecd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yep..how is this even possible?

Colin_P
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you DawnM. I will stop looking for answers from Microsoft.
Fotog
Guide
Guide

Any word yet?  Tell them not to forget us since the problem is widespread.

Arlo Q videos saved in Library will not play on Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge.  When trying to open a saved clip the screen gets stuck on "Loading."

They play fine on Google Chrome.

CM2646
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Arlo experts,  I too am having the same problem after the windows update.  I bought my sstem from Costco and have owned it for about 30 days which is well within the 90 day return timeframe.  Please let us know if this problemis solvable or not.  I am happy to return the system, or keep it, if the desktop PC will view the stored videos.  Thank you

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@jguerdat wrote:

You're right, Edge won't play library videos. However, Edge isn't a supported browser so I'm not sure what to tell you other than don't use it for Arlo.

Jeff, wide spread problem including Arlo Pro, even with IE (supported browser?) affecting many Arlo/Windows users.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I hear ya and agree - it doesn't work for me, either. A point to be taken into consideration, however, is that IE is inherently insecure and MS has finally acknowledged this by introducing Edge. Use of IE is supported for Arlo but isn't recommended by any security-minded person and Edge isn't a supported browser by Arlo. The fact that it used to work really has no bearing. Use of Firefox or Chrome is then the solution or, at least, the workaround and would help lead the user to a more secure online presence.

We don't know the details of what happened so hopefully someone will come up with a fix for those who are reluctant to change browsers for whatever reason.

alfalfa
Tutor
Tutor

Please provide email when a fix for this is worked out. It is very frustrating. Has not wortded since Aug 15 2018 for me and today is August 30 2018

Thanks

Chuck

Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

I don't know why it is being claimed that Microsolft Edge is not a supported browser. Arlo support Article ID: 000039109 Last Updated:04/09/2018 clearly states:

The following browsers work with the Arlo web application:

• Internet Explorer 10 or higher
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Firefox on Windows and Mac OS X (latest version)
  • Safari on Mac OS X (latest version)
  • Chrome on Windows and Mac OS X (latest version)

See:-  https://kb.arlo.com/000039109/What-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-installing-and-using-my-Arlo-sys....

Can we please have a progress report from Netgear on fixing libraries not playing in Edge browser?

alfalfa
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for doing research to verify Arlo Pro program is designed to work with MS Edge. The videos in my ARLO library still do not play on my MS Edge PC.   Hasnt workeed scine Aug 15 2018. Today is September 1 2018. Arlo team, Please provide us an upadate status report on your progress fixin gthis issue.

Colin_P
Aspirant
Aspirant

For those of you who are still wondering why Arlo no longer works with Microsoft Edge browser, the following is the best answer I have seen so far. I now use Google Chrome to view Arlo videos on my PC, or use my Android phone. Annoying, but it is what it is!

jguerdat (Guru) posted a new reply in Arlo Q on 2018-08-28 05:53 AM :

Re: Microsoft Edge not playing recordings

I hear ya and agree - it doesn't work for me, either. A point to be taken into consideration, however, is that IE is inherently insecure and MS has finally acknowledged this by introducing Edge. Use of IE is supported for Arlo but isn't recommended by any security-minded person and Edge isn't a supported browser by Arlo. The fact that it used to work really has no bearing. Use of Firefox or Chrome is then the solution or, at least, the workaround and would help lead the user to a more secure online presence.

We don't know the details of what happened so hopefully someone will come up with a fix for those who are reluctant to change browsers for whatever reason.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have to stand corrected on the issue of whether Edge is a supported browser. The KB article linked above clearly points out that it is supported. 

Of course, none of this helps with the current issue. I'm sure a fix is in the offing.

ryguyMN
Aspirant
Aspirant
Edge works with videos - the only incompatibility is with the microphone function since it uses Flash and that isn’t supported with Edge.
Chris67
Luminary
Luminary

Adobe Flash is supported as a built-in feature of Microsoft Edge on systems running the desktop version of Windows 10 if it is turned on in settings. Edge does not support flash on Windows 10 Mobile.Yes, Edge will play LIVE video but we are saying that it will not play video from the LIBRARY as of Windows Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 Systems (KB4343909) which most people received 15 August 2018.

alfalfa
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo Library no longer plays videos when I press the play button in the center of the video anymore with these new Windows 10 updadte with MS Edge , However the videos will play by clicking on the "download" button located on lower screen of libray and selecting "open". It would seem the Arlo fix could be  to program the play button to do the equivalent of "Download" plus "open". 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Microsoft Edge is a supported browser for the Arlo website.

https://kb.arlo.com/000039109/What-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-installing-and-using-my-Arlo-sys...

Edge can view live feeds, but cannot play videos from the library (IE11 as well, I have confirmed both browsers on win7 and win10).

Edge does support flash. In fact it is built into the browser. There is no reason to install a flash plugin with Edge, it's built in.

This started on about August 15 when Microsoft pushed a KB update. After this update, Edge no longer worked when viewing videos from the library. Edge does work on EVERY other website I could find to test on that plays or streams MP4 videos. The Arlo website is the ONLY site I could find with an issue. This indicates that the Arlo website has some coding issues that the MS update has now exposed and Arlo needs to fix the website and/or backend.

As a work around........ sign into Arlo with Edge, go to your library, click the 3 dots on a video you want to view and choose "share", then "copy link", then open a new tab, then right click in the address bar and choose "paste and go". You can now view the videos.

ryguyMN
Aspirant
Aspirant

The push-to-talk function isn't supported by Edge, so I thought the Flash plug-in was the culprit. In any case, Edge is not 100% compatible with Arlo because all the functions do not work on the browser.

bg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Videos will not play in IE11 or Microsoft Edge after Windows Update of August 14, 2018—KB4343909 (OS Build 17134.228).  Videos hang at "Loading".  What is the resolution status by Arlo?

MidnightRider
Guide
Guide

Still no constructive reply from Arlo since I posted the original concern. My same lousy solution:  Use Mozilla Firefox or another browser besides Edge or IE. I am not fond of Chrome (Google) but Firefox (Mozilla) works fine.

Come on, Netgear / Arlo, please get this fixed!!! My Windows system is up to date (including September updates) and Edge still does not work.