Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Not Getting Discovered [Potential Fix]

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
ArloQ2019
Follower
Follower

I hope this helps those who seek to discover Alro Q. I have had the exact same problem of not discovering. After reading here about the issues most of you and me having to discover the Arlo Q.

After the NEW APP Update just recently in September 2019, the SSID if your Router is not recognized if it has symbols or . or other characters in them. For example, my was www.blablabla.com, well it really was not bla bla bla but it was a website address that I wanted people to see. So a URL may contain especially characters such as // or www or .  which prevented the Arlo Q to be discovered on your App.

I went and changed the Wifi Name and made it ONE WORD and about 6 Characters long and only letters. When I did that, it reconnected and it got discovered and was up and running. Now, remember, I reset the damn thing more than 10 times and I did the Force Stop of the App more than 10 times and I deleted and reinstalled the App more than 10 times to the extent I was going to break the damn thing. After so much pain I went through, I HATED, I am telling I literally HATED ARLO and its ENTIRE FAMILY. But after I changed the SSID or the Wifi Name that I connect too, the problems disappeared and I deleted the Camera from my App several times and I got it discovered, again and again, several times.

So my solution to this is that We the users must change the SSID Name and make it simple and without any special characters and . and symbols. It will solve your problem. Try it and see for yourself.

I hope this helps everyone. Seriously I have a HATE grudge against this Arlo Q after what it put me through. But I am trying to love it again because it is so adorable.

3 REPLIES 3
HeyBooBoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, I did what you wrote and I got my Arlo q back too.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ArloQ2019 wrote:

After the NEW APP Update just recently in September 2019, the SSID if your Router is not recognized if it has symbols or . or other characters in them. For example, my was www.blablabla.com, well it really was not bla bla bla but it was a website address that I wanted people to see. So a URL may contain especially characters such as // or

Just to clarify: +, ], /, ", and TAB are not legal characters in an SSID.  Also, the first character cannot be !, #, or ;  and the SSID can't end with trailing blanks.  Some devices might work with names that use prohibited characters, though you still shouldn't use them.

. is legal, so if blablabla doesn't include the illegal punctuation, then your SSID should have been ok.

DPIuser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Right On!! Your Fix works perfectly! I had the same issue when trying to re-add my Arlo Q after a WiFi password change forced me to reconnect. I tried everything,reset, power tons of times - it kept failing to connect. Tech support told me the camera had a hardware failure during a firmware update and it was unrepairable and out of warranty. I didn't want to give up so I found your post, renamed my SSID to something simple as it had some dashes and other characters in the name and retried and it connected like butter!!

Thanks for your post - I hope this helps others tooo!!