Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

I have not played with the night vision function of my Q before tonight. It works but not the way I expected so I want to know if I’m doing something wrong. I have the toggle switch for night vision on in settings. I checked that the red LEDs are on at the camera. However in a darkened room when I check the image on the app it is dark except for the immediate area in front of the camera that is illuminated by the blue LED. 

Now if if I turn the night vision toggle switch off and reaquire the camera image the room is lit up and the red LEDs are off. Is this the way this is supposed to work? I am using the latest version of the app that just came out, 2.5.2. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bikegear,

The first screenshot you uploaded shows the toggle switched off, which is why your image is dark. The night vision is not enabled. Flip the toggle to the right (green) to enable night vision.

The second image with night vision toggled on appears normal. This is expected brightness.

JamesC

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bikegear,

It sounds like you're experiencing the opposite of how it should be behaving. Can you post a screenshot from the cameras view for when you have night vision toggled on and when you have it toggled off? This may help us better understand what you're describing.

JamesC

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary
I’ll do so tonight when the room is dark. But I want to confirm that you want a screenshot of the camera image from within the app.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bikegear,

Correct, one screenshot with night vision toggled on and one with it toggled off.

JamesC

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

I was just testing the screenshot function using the icon on the video setting screen. However I see no indication of where that image is saved to. I can use the phone’s mechanism but how does the app’s screenshot function work?  

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

I meant the snapshot icon on the video setting screen. I can’t find anywhere that this is saved. 

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

The issue I had posted about above was right after the new iOS 11.4 update. The screenshots below were taken after I rebooted my phone. They don’t show an image that was much more illuminated than the brighter image below. How they appear now I believe is probably the expected way. However is there a way to adjust or increase the illumination when using night vision?  The brighter image shown was actually the darker one prior to rebooting my phone. If I had gotten a screenshot of the image prior to rebooting my phone you would see a considerably brighter image when I had night vision turned off. But I have no idea how that would have occurred. 

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary

I’m having a lot of trouble posting any images here so I’m trying with this post to get the image with night vision toggled on attached. But is there a way to increase the illumination of the night vision live image in the app? Every time I try to post this with the second image I’m returned to the reply field and nothing is posted so I can’t get the second image up. 

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary
Trying again.

Ok, looks like this got attached. This is the image with night vision toggled on but still seems dim compared to what I saw prior to my phone reboot. I tried using the photo upload function but after the image was selected and loaded onto the field there was no done button and no way to complete the post with the photo included.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bikegear,

The first screenshot you uploaded shows the toggle switched off, which is why your image is dark. The night vision is not enabled. Flip the toggle to the right (green) to enable night vision.

The second image with night vision toggled on appears normal. This is expected brightness.

JamesC

bikegear
Luminary
Luminary
I uploaded both settings in different posts. Switched off and switched on. The switched on one does show a more illuminated image but not as bright as what I was seeing prior to rebooting my phone. I’m just going to assume this is the normal view. This forum makes it difficult to include photos/images from an iOS device.