Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q MASSIVE Live View Lag Time

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
eneskz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello everyone, 

I purchased an Arlo Q over a month ago because I wanted to check in our pet when we are not home. I have no complaints and I love everything about the Arlo Q besides.... the Live view lag and the extra long time that it takes to connect to the camera. 

When on the same Wi-Fi network the camera lag stays around 5-7 seconds at a MINIMUM (sometimes is worse). The app also takes a good 10-20 seconds to connect to it when firing up the camera.

I can't really measure the lag time when I am not home, but when I am away connection time increases drastically, sometimes even over 1 min. 

Now, I love every feature of this camera, but this lag issue is a deal breaker. What is the point of having 2-way communication if you can't properly communicate due to the massive lag or what is the point of having a "Live" view that is nowhere near to be called "Live".

In the meantime I also purchased a Nest Cam and a Smartthings cam to test their capabilities and therefore helping me making a decision to which one to keep. Both camera have similar specs to the Arlo Q but do not offer a 7-day record for FREE feature (best thing about the Arlo), BUT their lag time is on average 1-2sec max, which for a Wi-Fi device I find acceptable and they connect instantly when opening the app. 

Note: I am running all three cameras connected to the same network simultaneously  and the lag times are the same mentioned above.

I am running on Fios Gigabit connection, which on average yields to 350-400Mbs (D), 200 Mbps (U) and 3-4ms (Ping) so I don't think my connection is the issue here. 

My question is: is this something that can be troubleshooted without pulling my hair off or it's just a bad design from Arlo? It feel like I have a sports car without wheels...  useless.

Thank you in advance for reading and hopefully coming up with a solution! This is my last resorts, if not successful I will be returning this camera and say farewell to Arlo. 

Thank you,

Enes

3 REPLIES 3
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @eneskz

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest any prior methods you have previously performed.

eneskz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Shanye,

thank you for your reply. I did a full reset of the camera 3 times - no change. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.  Smartthings Cam and Nest Cam worked fine right out of the box.  I am planning to pick one of the 3 and buy a second camera of those. I really wish I could stick with the Arlo Q (love the free 7 day recording), but this massive lag makes it useless. 

Hope it's fixable.

Thanks,

Enes

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Considering your other devices are connecting timely & you reset the camera, I would like to suggest contacting Arlo Tech Support so they can trouble shoot further. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support