Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi

I've just purchased the Arlo Q as a "babyphone" addition to our 7 existing cameras.

The problem that I have is that after a while, the livestream just stops.

Of course, if I want to use the Q as a babyphone, this is not what should happen.

How can I prevent this "timeout" of the livestream and keep it alive?

Thx

11 REPLIES 11
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

rkm wrote:

The problem that I have is that after a while, the livestream just stops.

Of course, if I want to use the Q as a babyphone, this is not what should happen.

How can I prevent this "timeout" of the livestream and keep it alive?

I've run the Q for about an hour+ and had no drop out, the Q to my knowledge is always running ( esp if you have the CVR option , I had it go for a couple hours without dropping )

Is the Q loosing signal?

Rememer the Q isn't the only link in the chain that can cause a problem ;  bad wifi router dropping, internet drop out . etc

I would temp move the Q to a closer location and test the drop out time again to eliminate the possiblity of interference problem

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
bdnelson68
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problems, but moving it around doesn't help.  I have an enterprise level WiFi (2 - Ruckus R500 APs) in the area where the camera is used, and it drops live streaming often.  Not reliable at all.  

It's also hooked to a FTTH (fiber-to-the-home) connection running 100/100Mbps, with 1ms lag times to my nearest Speedtest.net host.

The camera has problems with it's network connectivity and when it drops, for what ever internal reason, it has a hard time reconnecting.  It will remain disconnected for minutes up to hours.  Best thing to get live feed back is to reset the damn thing.

Completely worthless.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or replace it.  If still within the store's return policy, swap it.  Otherwise, create a trouble ticket for possible RMA.  Having issues and not doing something about it doesn't help - maybe it's just a bad device.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bdnelson68,

What is indicating that the camera has dropped connection? Do you see an error message? Is there a specific LED behavior on the camera itself when this occurs? 

Do you see this behavior regardless of what client you are using to view the camera (web client/mobile app)?

JamesC

bdnelson68
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the suggestions here.  I've fixed the problem... I bought a Nest Camera with similar features.  Set them side-by-side for a couple of weeks and noticed NO similar problems with the Nest v. Arlo.  

The Arlo "Live Stream" can't handle network changes (i.e. connecting to my work SSL VPN).  It also doesn't like when you select Mode or Settings from the app (or browser app); returning to Live stream after doing that, gives me the green screen or the 3 circle "i can't connect" mode.

The Arlo did get a little better than when I first reported, but it goes to show you that it isn't environment, but rather poor software that has soured me from recommending this camera over Nest.

rancidrichard
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issues with 2 Arlo Q cameras. I've tried to live stream both of them while I'm upstairs so I can watch the downstairs, but they only stay connected for usually 30 minutes or less and then drop. I have to click to reconnect, sometimes multiple times, and then I'm finally back up until the next drop out. I was shocked that Arlo introduced a baby specific monitor as there's no way it's reliable enough for that.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Of course, the Arlo line is set up to live view for no more than 30 minutes in the first place so you're seeing proper operation.  As for the Baby product, you're making guesses since it's not even available yet.

rancidrichard
Tutor
Tutor

Sure, wireless models have a 30 minute timeout to save battery which has been stated by Netgear staff. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo/Live-Stream-time-out-after-30-minutes/td-p/1145200

I have a wired Arlo Q which has constant power. There is no need to have it cut off ever. And hitting 30 minutes rarely happens as it's much more common that it disconnects after 1-5 minutes. No, I don't have the baby monitor, but if Netgear took their same tech and added a few more sensors, some cute outfits, and the option to buy a monitor, then people are going to be really pissed when it behaves the same way as I've had happen. The weakness is the video stream has to go through Netgear servers and then back to your house. Baby monitors send the signal directly to the monitor which avoids the problem of signal cutting out and I haven't seen anything about Netgear having that capability.

silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

rancidrichard wrote:

<snip> The weakness is the video stream has to go through Netgear servers and then back to your house. Baby monitors send the signal directly to the monitor which avoids the problem of signal cutting out and I haven't seen anything about Netgear having that capability.

Hi rancidrichard,

I think you're wrong. If you check the specs on Arlo Baby, the camera sets up its OWN wifi network and will connect to the tablet directly without even going through your other wifi router. So if you are say at a hotel somewhere with your child you don't have to worry about the video stream transiting the hotel servers. 

While you can monitor remotely via app/phone/pc, if you are local to the Arlo Baby camera it will stream constantly to the optional tablet without going to the cloud first.

If I've read it wrong, support can correct me but it is one of several features that make the Arlo baby probably the best camera in the range. Just lose the bunny suit...

rancidrichard
Tutor
Tutor

If it sets up it's own network that connects with the monitor, that would be great and should fix any cutting out issues. I looked over the feature list for the Arlo baby monitor at the link posted below and I don't see any mention of what you're stating though. Where did you see this feature listed?

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-baby/default.aspx

silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-baby/display-monitor.aspx    talks about connecting Arlo Baby Tablet to Arlo Baby camera without a wifi network available.

Can't find the exact text I remember reading so may have been a review article elsewhere on the internet.