Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q: Is minimum upload speed of 1.5 Mbps per camera. where 4 Arlo Q cameras reqs 6 Mbps?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Arlo14720
Follower
Follower

(1.) How do I assure optimum performance of four (4) Arlo Q cameras? Based on your experience, what minimum upload speed will allow 1080P video quality as well as clear two-way voice transmissions, without  significant delays?

(2.) Does a minimum upload speed requirement of 1.5 Mbps per camera, mean that 4 Arlo Q cameras will require 6 Mbps (4 x 1.5 Mbps) to function optimally? 

(3.) Has as anyone had any experience using one of the newer "Mesh Network Routers," like the "Google Whole Home Wi-Fi" unit(s), sold in packages of either one, two or three units, depending on house geometry and square footage?

(4.) Any suggestions how to reliably test router speed and coverage area before purchasing Arlo Q cameras? Is Speedtest.com app, used with my iPhone and iPad tablet at various locations where cameras would be placed, a reasonably accurate testing protocol?

Many thanks for your recommendations!

Arlo14720

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1)  Each Q camera can max upload at 1.5Mbps ( tho normally about 1MBps peaks ) ... if you have 2 streaming at the same time it is double

2) YES

3) A mesh system will help. I use an Orbi router with satellite (star system, not mesh ) and it does male a big difference as the Q cams will operate on both 2.4 and 5 ghz.   It allows you to place the Q's further away from the main AP and still have great signals

4) Speedtest is fine for you data tru-put tests ... refer to #1

arloQ bandwth.jpg

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------