Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q FW will not update

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just installed 2 more Arlo Q cameras (I have a Q and a Q Plus already), but one of them refuses to upgrade its firmware.  Out of the box it has 1.7.4_5517.  Every time it tries to do the upgrade to the latest (it's tried more than 20 times), it reverts back to the old firmware.  I've tried power cycling, resetting, removing and reattaching, deleting all other Q devices and retrying, changing access points, but nothing seems to help.  Is there something else I should try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Customer Service agrees.  I have an RMA in process.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds like u did it all.... 

Tho I have seen a factory reset work on the second time after it failed

Return or replace seems to be left 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Customer Service agrees.  I have an RMA in process.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The replacement camera works great.  Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hokeysmoke,

Great news, thanks for letting us know the end result!

JamesC

KingSpectre
Initiate
Initiate
I'm having the exact same issues. How is return and replace an acceptable option? If they have a bad set of cameras, they shouldn't be selling them. I have to go back and hope that all the ones the store recieved aren't bad? I assume with this level of tech support, they aren't flying off the shelf.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KingSpectre,

Some users have had issues getting the firmware update due to poor internet speeds. Who is your ISP and what are your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

KingSpectre
Initiate
Initiate
Suddenlink broadband and laptop tested about 100mbps down and 10mbps up
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KingSpectre,

It sounds like your internet connection should be fine. You might consider a factory reset of the device, reclaim and try updating again. Log in to your Arlo account and navigate to Settings > My Devices > select the Arlo Q > Remove Device. Allow the Arlo Q to reboot and then click "Add Device" on the devices screen and select Arlo Q to go back through the claiming process.

JamesC

wilco
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can't update, followed everything multiple times, how is a reset a fix if you have to do it for every possible error, this is an underlying flaw in the product, it should just work, the app on my iPad is at the latest. 

My arlo is  1 metre from the router without any blocks., no walls , no cables in the way only air itself.

i can see update in progress if I reset, reboot etc via the alternating amber/blue lights yet nothing. Still stuck on 1.7.4 554

im making the leap this update will fix my lack of. MIcrophone audio

poor poor poor, very disappointed in a product sold as top of the range with the associated $$$

mark

wilco
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agree with this post, are netgear going to pay for my time and fuel for all this. I've messed around with this for 3 days, three days

thembox says 10 minute setup , I think this is a misrepresentation of the product

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

wilco,

Generally firmware updates will automatically complete overnight. Are you still seeing the same behavior?

If so, consider a factory reset and try again.

This can be done by removing the camera from Settings > My Devices > select Arlo Q > Remove Device. The camera should reboot. Log back in to your Arlo account and click "Add Device" select Arlo Q and follow the on screen prompts.

JamesC

wilco
Aspirant
Aspirant

...same issue been sitting overnight for 4 days. 

Tried the reset about 5 times , seems a pat answer if I'm connected to the arlo servers surely you can status of my device and kick it from your end to upgrade? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's possible if you open a case with support.