Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Farnaz
Aspirant
Aspirant

My home Wifi does not have password When I try to add Arlo Q in arlo app, all is ok and I hear shim at blue light, than it tries to connect to wifi and I hear shim as error back to amber. Reset does not help Can it be onky since my wifi network doesn’t have password.? Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be possible... can you add a simple PW and retest ?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, not having a WiFi password is, to put it gently, dumb. While most of us aren't important enough to have someone hack into our networks and devices, it does happen and can have serious consequences. Having your network protected using WPA2 and a decent passphrase is a very minor inconvenience by any measure.

That said, the Q cameras require encryption as part of their security. You must use WPA2 (I don't think the older WPA will work and I know WEP doesn't) on your network to get it to connect.

Farnaz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I added password to my wifi. Now, after a while searching for Arlo device, it tells me that “No Arlo devices found”. Still I have trouble!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We need details. How did you set a password? WHat encryption did you use - it has to be WPA2? What have you tried? What do you see?

Farnaz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I used WAP2 for my home wifi. Password does not have any special character it is numbers and letters combination. I used 192.168.1.1 as instructed by internet provider to add password.
Then I restarted the setup wizard to add my Arlo q via application on my iPad. At the wifi connection step, it bring the message “No Arlo device found “.
Note: the Arlo application in my country is filtered, and I need to ude VPN in order to be able to log into Arlo app.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may need to resort to some trickery to get this to work. I have no experience with setting up a Q when using a VPN so I may be totally wrong.

First, how is the VPN set up? If it's on your computer and/or phone, you may need to turn it off to see the Q in the first place. I would think the VPN would need to be run on the router so the access to the Arlo servers is possible. Try using traceroute (tracert.exe on Windows) to arlo.netgear.com in a command window or using a traceroute app on your phone:

traceroute arlo.netgear.com

If you basically get no response you may have no way to get things to work.

Anyone out there with VPN experience with Arlo that can chime in?