Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Have only had my Arlo Q for a week or so but I've noticed it blinks a purple light sometimes, usually only in the evening though. Apparently this blinking purple light means the camera is to far from the router meaning the wi-fi signal is to weak.

Problem is, the camera always shows 2 bars (out of 3) of signal strength which should be fine for coverage. In checking a "live" feed while this light is blinking the camera appears to still be working fine.

I'm guessing that most internet service in the evenings is weaker simply because everyone's home and using the local service. Could this slow down of the internet cause this temporary poor wi-fi reception? Only thing I can think of.

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Well... the Purple led can mean two things;

1) your nearing the range warning notice.

2) the Q is getting a sw update.

Since # 2 hasn't happen every night for a while, I would lead to #1.

Doesn't mean your going to drop out, I use to see it when my signal was between 2 and 1 bar ( jumping at times ).

Now the down side is if you toggle off the LED display in front ( settings ) the weak signal led will still flash purple.

At this time it is what it is.

To make a long story short, I put a white peice of elec tape over it so it wouldn't show.

PS slow internet wouldn't effect you wifi signal, just how much data you can push thru.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks, I thought about the tape or small sticker idea also. The blinking light is more of an annoyance then anything else. Everytime it starts blinking people assume I'm recording them which of course I'm not.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Put in a trouble ticket too

Morse is faster than texting!