Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
jdb_
Apprentice
Apprentice

I raised a support case back on the 2nd May that I was unable to get the camera to connect to my 5ghz network and that (using my 2.4ghz network) the audio and video are ~2seconds out of sync.

After a few days of collecting information on my troubleshooting everything went quiet. Support is now non-existant. So, hoping someone here has has similar issues and can offer assistance?

My environment:

Router: Asus RT-AC68-U 
Speed test: 282.41Mbps down, 289.91Mbps up 
Network SSIDs;

5ghz: TEST 
2.4ghz: TEST.2.4

both passwords are identical and networks working fine with other devices (iPhone 6/6S, MacBook Pro, Apple TV, Samsung TV, etc)

In testing I created a 5ghz network with no security, SSID was ASUS_5G

The Arlo could still not connect, giving the same error buzzer when attempting to configure. I have placed the Arlo in the same room as the Router at distances of 1m, 5m and 10m. None of these provide any improvement.

The 2.4ghz environment in our building is pretty crowded, but 5ghz is all but clear with every other device we have working great! Any ideas on getting the Arlo Q to connect to 5ghz and transmit audio/video in sync would be awesome.

28 REPLIES 28
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The name IS out there or you wouldn't be able to connect.  It's just hidden to the typical user interfaces but using the right software that monitors WiFi signals it can be discovered.

From a quick Google on "hidden ssid security":

Although network cloaking may add a small sense of security, it is common for people not to realize just how easy it is to discover hidden networks. Because of the various ways an SSID is broadcast, network cloaking is not considered a securitymeasure. Use encryption, preferably WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access), or WPA2.
Bearscreek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, of course that's true technically, but I still find it odd that if I were to remove all signs of my networks from my iPhone and iPad or my friends' Android devices or my laptops, I'd have to enter the network name back in in order to connect.  I'd suspect that my neighbor has a network with almost as strong (or AS strong) a signal from the Arlo Q's perspective as I do, but it assumed it should connect to mine and not his.  I still find it odd that it immediately wanted to connect to my 5G and not the other one (and not to my neighbor's network), even though mine are hidden and his is/are not.  I realize it doesn't matter a single bit, and I really don't care.  It's just odd.  I'm just happy as a lark that it connected so quickly.

Victorw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem Arlo Q will not connect to 5G on my Asus RT AC68U router works ok on 2.4 but not on 5G. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've been able to connect to the 5GHz band on both my older Asus N66U and current Netgear R7000 routers.  5GHz connections have shorter range so could be an issue but don't forget the possibility of the SSID and/or passphrase having "illegal" characters in them.  Finally, be sure to use WPA2.