Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
puppies
Tutor
Tutor

I just called tech support, and spoke to a woman with a very poor command of the English language, and she appeared to be saying that because of "security reasons", the live streaming times out every 30 minutes; that the cameras are still active, so it will send motion alerts and such, but you simply cannot view continuous live streaming without re-loading your page every 30 minutes. She also claimed that all the brands are like this.

This not true, according to folks I know that own Wyze and Nest cameras that stream live 24/7. Here is my email I just sent to tech support after reading countless threads here about the problem and the total lack of responsiveness to the desires of their customer base:

I recently spoke to your tech support, where I was informed that I cannot have live streaming 24/7, because of "security reasons". My camera times out after 30 minutes of streaming. In all of your written materials, descriptions and users manual, NOWHERE is this stated.

I have seen in forums, that your company is totally unresponsive to the request to eliminate the 30-minute timeout. Folks are trying to monitor their babies, their elderly loved ones. In my case, I need to monitor newborn puppies, to make sure none of them is smothered by their mother laying on them.

I have reached out to my puppy customers who tell me that their nest systems do not do this, nor do Wyze cameras. I will be returning this to Best Buy as soon as my new Nest camera is up and running. You should monitor the discussion groups. Folks are NOT happy with this. Why is it you do not respond to customer dissatisfaction?

Sincerely,
Bruce Murch
Covenant Farm Puppies...wait, I have to reload my stream...
Lynchburg, VA

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TMK, the 30 min rule was never for security.... it was cause the cameras run on batteries.  If acc left running then a camera could be drained in a day.  This was coded into the FW back to the original Arlo HD cameras ( which had no external power option at all ).

The only cameras that don't time out to my knowledgw are the Baby, and possibly the Q cam... ( last check the Q cam ran over an hour or so , I had to turn off the comp screen timeout )

You can do the CVR option ( paid ) and keep viewing in real time if the Pro/Pro2 are ac powered too.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
CSBeurich
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply TomMac. 

Can i just confirm you are saying that with the CVR subscription then the live stream does not time out after 30 minutes?

And customers need to purchase the CVR subscription in order to avoid the timeout?

Is this the case for all 3 camera options PRO2, PRO3 and Ultra or are their differences here?

I would like constant live stream and currently deciding whether to purchase PRO3 or Ultra system

Many thanks,

Chris

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CSBeurich wrote:

And customers need to purchase the CVR subscription in order to avoid the timeout?

Is this the case for all 3 camera options PRO2, PRO3 and Ultra or are their differences here?

You'd need the CVR subscription for all three of those cameras.

Also, the cameras need to be AC powered to use CVR.

CSBeurich
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@CSBeurich wrote:

Can i just confirm you are saying that with the CVR subscription then the live stream does not time out after 30 minutes?

Live stream still times out at 30 minutes but the CVR stream remains active.