Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
calebsw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'd like to use the Arlo Q Plus to look outside a window at night.  Currently, with the IR leds, it makes light reflect off the window showing me nothing but the reflection of the camera or its light.  Is it possible to use a separate IR bulb to illuminate the area, and then have the camera just pick up this light?  I know it's possible when the camera is in night mode, but I'm not sure how useful this would be since I'd still have the reflection on the window.  Does the Arlo Q Plus detect IR light when it's recording in daytime/color mode?  Putting a camera outside is not possible for me, so I have to use an indoor camera to look outside.  

4 REPLIES 4
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I think you can just turn off the IR illuminators. Arlo Q doesn't use PIR to detect motion so it should work OK

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, there is a toggle to turn off the IR illuminators so the light doesn't bound back.

Also you can use exterrnal IR floods ( actually use the floods from the Vuezones when needed ) if they are 850nm.

The Q has pretty good night vision as it is so if you have regular lighting it will be fine too.

Here is a night shot at 10pm looking thru double pane Andersen windows. Just regular light 100w at front, and street lights

1485140807294.jpg

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
calebsw
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac!  I responded to you in another thread (that I am ashamed to admit that I revived after 2 years of inactivity).  How do I disable the IR leds?  I can not find this feature on the Arlo Q Plus!  I can only find how to disable night vision mode, but does this still pick up IR light?  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When you toggle to disable night vision mode, your turning OFF the illuminators.

The camera is still responsive to extenal IR light when off

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation