Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
abdelrahman
Tutor
Tutor

Both my new Arlo Q Plus cameras have pixelated and turned grainy after 12-15 seconds into the 1080p video.

So basically, all video recordings starts crystal clear in 1080p videos for about 12-14 seconds, then turns grainy and pixelated! If the motion video is short, lets say 12 seconds, usually it will never have any problems! For long videos, they all have this issue.

Both cameras have latest firmware. Both cameras are set indoors. Both cameras are Arlo Q Plus connected via POE.

This is very confusing and illogical, why the 12-15 second mark turns pixelated? I am guessing a compression problem.

Please advise!

Thank you in advance,

46 REPLIES 46
Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

Unfortunately this issue continues after the January 5th 2018 firmware update.

JamesC,

Is engineering still working to identify and provide a fix for this issue?  Have they concluded this issue is not correctable with a firmware update?  Please update us with the status.

Thanks!

arloqartefacts
Guide
Guide

HW Version:  VMC3040r6 (I wonder if they fixed in later revisions? r7 r8 ?)

Firmware:  1.8.3.2_17494 (Feb 2018 ? Cannot find release notes)

Same exact problems as everybody else is having, except mine is at 12-13 seconds.

I even have a clip where motion have stopped (cars driving by) at 10 seconds and then I have artefacts at 12-13 seconds.

https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/2B9477539175E45F_201802

Oh, when I do Live View on my iPhone and move around, there are NO arteracts, at all, so it's not connection issue or anything. I was setting up my camera and Live View was on for 30 minutes, no artefacts.

Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

That's a very good question.  My Arlo Q Plus is Hardware version 6.  Still having the issue with Firmware 1.8.3.2_17494 which I believe downloaded to my Q+ on Friday, Feb 23, 2018.  Didn't know about it until you wrote but had checked it very recently.

As you know I called on JamesC (Arlo Rep) to comment about this problem.  Crickets....  He comments continuously on other posts in this forum but nothing here.  Obviously he knows this post exists.  To me, his silence here says Netgear doesn't want to publicly admit there is a problem.

JamesC,

Is there a new revision of hardware that addresses this issue?

And can anyone confirm with hardware version 7 or 8 if this issue is still present?

Thank you

JCam123
Star
Star
Running v6 hardware here, arlo q (WiFi version not poe) and same new firmware as you. I went through around 20-30 1min clips and only one had the pixellation, not sure if a lucky day. Also I would say since I bought the system last year the video quality looks like it has improved a fair bit.
arloqartefacts
Guide
Guide

Ok, I have switched to 2min recording just to test my idea that it might something to do with "auto length detection" but I still have 12-13sec artefacts.

Now that I've kept close eye on it, I think most problem occurs in the evening, around/after sunset, when there is low(er) visibility.

Also, did WiFi test using my iPhone and SpeedTest app, I got the same speed few inches away from WiFi AP and few inches away from ArloQ - 55Mbps Download, 12Mbps Upload, 13ms ping, so there is no WiFi problem (as I was explaing in Support Chat, that I could watch Live View for 30 minutes while adjusting camera and not seeing any freezes or artefacts)

So this go something to do with ArloQ saving short clip and connecting to Netgear servers(?) for upload and that's why there are artefacts and not after that.

I will try to capture network traffic (unless they use HTTPS) and see if I can figure out difference between Live View and Recording (first one if not saving on Netgear servers?)

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A firmware update for Arlo Q/Q+ was released recently. This firmware update addressed several bugs that could result in the behavior being discussed here. Check your Arlo Q/Q+ firmware version to be sure you are up to date with the latest version: Firmware Release Notes

If you are still experiencing an issue please contact the Arlo Support Team and open and case.

JamesC

Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your reply JamesC. Good to finally hear from you. Have you been told that this firmware update addresses this problem or that engineering is working on this still? If there are later revisions of hardware (ver 7 or 8?) do they exhibit this problem or has it been resolved?

After the newest firmware update I was still seeing the problem.  As I noted, my Arlo Q Plus received the latest firmware on 2-23-18. However, today's videos look clean (Monday 2-26).  I must add though, on prior firmware I have had nearly a week without this problem only to have it return on clip after clip.  So I will monitor it and let you know.

Thank you in advance for any information and assistance you provide.

Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

Arloqartefacts,

Thanks for sharing that video and your information. Are you still having the pixelation problem now?  And see the reply by JamesC above.

Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

Jcam123,

Thanks for your report.  Please post if you see the problem again.  And see the reply by JamesC above.

arloqartefacts
Guide
Guide

It is funny how JamesC mentions "recent firmware" without specifing it by the version, yes the latest ArloQ firmware was released on the day I have made my post (after finally being tired of seeing pixelation too much) Feb 23, 2018 and the "recent firmware" version number is 1.8.3.2_17494 (released on the same day)

Well, I have looked through 20-30 of today's recordings and I can confirm, Netgear engineers did "something". What do I mean by that?

Before, there was clear pixelation at 12-13-14 seconds timestamp that made it IMPOSSIBLE to identify what is happening.

Now, there is "slight" pixelation in the first 4-5 seconds that clears up after that.

I'm going to keep an eye on my ArloQ pixelations and will be back to this post if I notice it again (I have no desire to contact Netgear support and arrange for RMA just to get the same Hardware Rev. with the same problems, minus my wasted time for shipping)

Now, need to find or create another Post on why my ArloQ keeps switching Night Mode On...

arloqartefacts
Guide
Guide

Hey look, Netgear added a new feature in the latest firmware to ArloQ - for the first 13 seconds they mask-out/pixelate any faces (for privacy reasons) THANKS A LOT, NETGEAR!!!

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/EE3E63C5D20FB007_201803

This is MUCH better than BEFORE!!! Before you had to wait for PIXELATION, now it's available from the start of the recording! NETGEAR Engineers are GENIUSES!!! GIVE THEM BONUSES!!!

LETS MAKE NETGEAR GREAT AGAIN!!!

Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

Arloqartefacts,

That is not a new feature.  It's an old feature!  Ha!

It is a different problem. MPEG motion artifacts.  As it's name implies, it appears with picture motion changes.  Usually caused by high mpeg compression which saves bandwidth at the cost of picture quality.  Can also be caused by WiFi signal issues, such as a weak signal or constant signal noise.  I wonder if the Ethernet users see much of this.  If so, it's likely from high mpeg compression.

The pixelation problem we are having happens to WiFi & Ethernet according to reports and, as you know, seems to be tied to elapsed time, not motion.  Reports also say that Netgear engineering was able to replicate the problem.  I'm still hoping they can fix it with a firmware update.  Reports that customer service told customers that the engineers couldn't fix it are troubling.  I would like a public response to this, not a private response.

Is a fix for this problem still being worked on or not?

Has this problem been resolved in newer hardware revisions/releases of the Arlo Q Plus?

Can you answer these questions JamesC?

Thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo-awesome,

No hardware changes have been made. If you're still experiencing this issue after the most recent firmware update (see here Firmware Release Notes), please contact the Arlo Support Team and open and case to further investigate the issue.

JamesC

arloqartefacts
Guide
Guide

Well, it's all about MPEG motion/compression/size optimization, and if NETGEAR cannot make it work, they should just call it "ArloQ Your Best Still Pictures Security Camera, EVER!"

So, 12-14 seconds pixelation is back with vengeance:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/62863EF98DB6D41C_201803

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/79D1CA4343D7D9C0_201803

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/E6B01C4BC31F2B30_201803

the last one is what bothers me too much - the motion ALREADY STOPPED, yet, we've got pixelation at 15sec, there is really something wrong either with ArloQ hardware or NETGEAR servers or engineers' skills (not sure which one is easier to fix)

Again, there is NO WIFI ISSUES for my ArloQ, I could Live View FOREVER WITHOUT PIXELATIONS, so Hardware/Servers/Engineers - pick your poison 🙂

JCam123
Star
Star

JamesC,

I'm still experiencing the issue and I have 2 of the Arlo Q cams (Wi-Fi versions). Blocking / pixilation problem still appears at around 12-14/15s, with the latest firmware which I confirmed on both cams, just gone through some videos today (only some videos exhibit this issue, not all).

I spent around 2 months going back and forth with customer support, Wi-Fi signal tests (the boys here running POE basically eliminate this as an issue), broadband speed tests, hardware resets, a replacement hardware unit sent to me and swapped (even though I have 2 units experiencing the same issue), I purchased a top of the range Wi-Fi ASUS VDSL modem/router/Wi-Fi point to disprove it was the ISPs cheapy bundled unit, and eventually they offered a full refund once they recreated the issue their end and said it could not be fixed. However, I need the units running for security purposes, and have limited time to get an alternative going, so unfortunately have had to stick with it. I'm not going back to being passed between a continual stream of 1st line support agents to reach the same goal, asked the same question over and over.  The problem has been defined, recreated back in Netgear support and it should be being investigated and resolved unless this is not a firmware issue and its faulty hardware which is being sold to the public.

Surely you can point the developers to this thread and remind them that there are a few vocal users (and likely many who are not reporting or have noticed this problem) experiencing the problem with the latest firmware (and previous revisions). As I pointed out, the quality of the video certainly increased slightly with newer revisions of the firmware but this bug has not disappeared.

Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC,

The pixelation problem around 12-16 seconds is still occurring although it seems less often at this time.  The motion artifacting seems worse with the newest firmware as Arloqartefact noted in his post.

courser
Aspirant
Aspirant

The same problem is happening.
Pixel crushing occurs between 12 and 15 seconds.

I bought it today and it is the latest firmware.

Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your report.  As you have noted, this problem continues to effect the Arlo Q Plus to this day, April 12, 2018, with no resolution.  Whether it will ever be fixed is unknown.  JamesC, the Netgear rep on these mesage boards, has not offered any update regarding this problem.

troycampbell
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo has the "Apple" look and feel down but not the "Just works" part.  I worked for a Company in the IT dept for 17 years that "Absolutely Positively" got stuff delivered overnight and I can tell you from experience that stuff like this would never make it to production or if it did it better be fixed in minutes or hours at the most or Senior Vice Presidents would be joining the Conference call.  This is all "Arlo" does or certainly playback is the most important part and they can't get it right?  I've had these cameras for several months expecting this to be fixed any time now.  What a waste of time and money.

Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

It's unbelievable to me that this still hasn't been resolved.  The lack of a fix leads me to assume that it's hardware related (that cannot be fixed without a hardware revision) or the engineer techs have just given up on fixing it.

JamesC has not said, "We're working on it." And my guess is they are not.  I've seen pixelation issues reported on some of their other cams and the problem being fixed with a firmware update.  Not this one.

To top it off, Netgear has now broken my zones and I can't recreate them due to an error message.  Things are getting worse instead of better.  

Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC,

This issue/defect/problem has still not been resolved.  I believe you are aware of that since you've said nothing about it being fixed.  This lack of support is unacceptable.  Arlo and all Netgear products are now on my "DON'T BUY" list.  I'm confident that I'm not alone based on all the complaints in these forums.

Arlo-awesome
Tutor
Tutor

Hi JamesC,

After the latest firmware update (1.9.0_269  10-25-2018) I have not seen any further pixelation issues that were occurring at 12 seconds into the video.  I am cautious to say this issue is fixed until more time passes and other positive reports come in. (Also using latest Android app update 2.6.2_22800)

Anyone else still seeing this problem with the latest firmware?

Thanks for the continued efforts in addressing this problem. Hopefully we can declare it fixed.

Discussion stats
  • 46 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation