Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
paulbatny57
Follower
Follower

I'm a potential buyer. My first question is concerning activity zones. The arlo website says with no subscription, cloud activity zones are not included. A separate article on their website says activity zones ARE included with no subscription, as long as the camera is plugged into power. Which one is it?

Secondly, I own a couple of Wyze cameras, but their 5 minute cooldown and 12 second recording limit for their free cloud plan is very limiting. Can someone explain to me how the free cloud plan works with this camera? Is there any cooldown period whatsoever? And, when it does record a cloud clip, is it limited to a specific time, or will it record the entire time motion is detected? All of these questions is concerning this camera with NO subscription. Any help is appreciated- thank you.

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

AFAIK, the Q has activity zones without a subscription because it's powered - any Arlo camera that's running on AC power can use zones without a subscription.

The free plan is exactly as described - 7 days of cloud storage for free. The camera will record according to how you have your modes and rules set up, up to 2 minutes long for timed recordings or up to 5 minutes for "record while motion continues" (as long as you realize the camera has to detect the motion, not your eyes). Unlike Wyze, there is no "cool-down" period (which is why I got rid of mine quickly) but there is a brief reset period of 5-10 seconds between recordings. Recordings will start again as soon as the reset is finished. Note that the video has to be completely uploaded first so a long, highest quality recording over a slow upload speed can increase the reset period but is normally not an issue.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation