Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
ArloQ
Follower
Follower
  • If you set the Arlo Q Plus to record on motion/audio event, does the SD card record exactly the same way or can it be configured differently?
  • That is, can SD card be set to record for a different/longer time period per event?  
  • Is a continuous recording mode available, even if CVR service is not subscribed?
  • I read a thread on estimates for longest video possible in 128GB, but what happens when the card becomes full?
    • If the ArloQPlus is recording clips, does the ArloQPlus start erasing the oldest clips when it starts filling up or is this a manual process?
    • If a CVR like mode is available, what happens when the card fills up?
    • I would expect the max file size could be defined at hour, day, or week length to make the automated deletion work.  Is this an available overwrite mode?
    • If the file is saved as a stream and older data can automatically be overwritten like a continuous buffer, then how is the data time stamped.
    • Does the device just stop writing to the card when it becomes full?
  • How are the SD card file(s) accessed?
    • Download to PC only?  Download via Arlo app?  Wirelessly?  
    • Can the clips be played directly via Arlo App? 
      • How do CVR files work?
    • Can the files on the SD card be accessed remotely?
    • I don't see a filter selection in the library for only showing SD card files, so to me it seems like SD card file access might be fairly limited.

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ArloQ,

If the Arlo Q loses internet connection and has an SD card inserted. It will follow the mode that it had set prior to losing the internet connection.

There are not different settings for recording to the SD card, it follows the same mode that the camera was set to at the time it lost internet connection.

When the SD card is full it will start overwriting the oldest files with new recordings.

The files on the SD card can be accessed by removing the SD card and inserting into a card reader via PC/Laptop.

JamesC

Skeptic
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can video files on Arlo Q Plus sd card be viewed on a Chromebook?  If not known what file format are they in?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

More than likely the file format is in mp4 just like the d/led files

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jlm70
Aspirant
Aspirant

It would be great to have:

- possibility to save on SD at maximum resolution (1080p) even if the cam is set to 720p for bandwidth saving;

- possibility to use SD card in CVR mode, saving continuously the last X days (depending on sd size and video quality).

Then I'd like integrating the Q+ with my Synology NAS (DS Cam app)... but this is another story...

alaz3r
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Guys,

i just bought my Arlo Q plus yupiii hehe

at the beginning i thought it is like the Arlo wire-free (Waterproof) well this is another story

this thread got my attention as i want my Arlo to record on my SD card at the mean time

and from what's posted above and if you can confirm please so if my Arlo is not connected

to the internet it will record as usual on the SD card?

the question is can i have it recording continuously or it will have to follow the motion/sound?

i noticed in the settings 15 and up to 300 sec ? is this per clip?

so lets say there was a motion for more than 300sec will the recording continue or it will start

another 300sec?  why Arlo making it like that? i know that want to make some extra money from

cloud but not everyone can afford to pay monthly fee

thanks in advanse

alaz3r

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

alaz3r wrote:

this thread got my attention as i want my Arlo to record on my SD card at the mean time

and from what's posted above and if you can confirm please so if my Arlo is not connected

to the internet it will record as usual on the SD card?

Once set up with the SD card initialized and enabled, yes, it should be recording any motion detected events to the card.

alaz3r wrote:

the question is can i have it recording continuously or it will have to follow the motion/sound?

i noticed in the settings 15 and up to 300 sec ? is this per clip?

Yes, per clip.  No, it does not record continuously nor do you want it to.  You'd rapidly fill up your SD card.  You can purchase the CVR (continuous video recording) option for $10/mo that is essentially what you want but it is server-based and requires Internet access all the time.

alaz3r wrote:

so lets say there was a motion for more than 300sec will the recording continue or it will start

another 300sec?  why Arlo making it like that? i know that want to make some extra money from

cloud but not everyone can afford to pay monthly fee

The settings are for up to 2 minutes based on one motion event or up to 5 minutes if motion is detectable.  One or the other.  At the end of either of those, motion would have to be detected to start another recording.

Not sure what you're talking about from the money side - neither one costs anything extra.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
How do I get the sd card to label recordings with time and date and is there a reason why some recordings have a high pitched whine instead of sound? Others are fine, but it isn't consistent.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You can't change the labels. It's epoch time which you can convert yourself. The whine likely implies a hardware problem which will require opening a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation