Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

[ARLO Q+] Cannot connect to WIFI / POE/ Ethernet

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
HopelessArloQ
Aspirant
Aspirant
I need to purchase a new webcam for the family. I have read through so many comments and Arlo Q+ was one of the most highly rated web camera featuring the ease of connection. But I am facing extreme difficulties over installing my newly purchased ario Q+. I have been battling with this thing for more than 3 hours and nothing works. 1) First attempt was tried with POE. On mobile app click " install with POE ", it ends up with infinite discovering. The LAN cables are verified to be working even on one of my very old PC that still got a LAN port. 2) Suspecting the issue with the POE adapter , I then did a simple reshuffle of the cables and take out the POE adapter so that the LAN cable is connected directly from the router to the ARLO Q+. But same issues as above. It forever stuck in "discovering" and played a horrible sound of music and flashing orange indicator. 3) Retry with WIFI installation over an android phone and a laptop. Below were suggestions from forum but they didn't help so the app is still stuck in "discovering" a) Change SSID name to include only alphanumerics b) Change SSID name to include 5 for 5GHz and 24 for 2.4GHz network c) Enable guest accounts for both 5GHz and 2.4 GHz d) Specified base channel 1 (was 6) for 2.4 GHz network e) Pair up with WPS button on router NONE of the above works. The app stuck on "discovering". The Arlo Q+ indicator turned from blue to orange in 10 seconds (5 GHz) and 2 seconds (2.4 GHz) respectively. Also tried rebooting the router, resetting the ARLO Q+ as well as restarting my phone / laptop. The after sales service is also very disappointing. Live chat windows is never popping out. Tried sending a email to support but when clicking send it says "something went wrong". The whole intention of purchasing this brand is for the ease of setup. And it's now totally defecting the purpose. I am sure a 50 bucks webcam made in Shenzhen is far easier to install than this. With so much frustration I still welcome any help from this community.
2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It might just be a bad camera. Swap at the store. When using support, if chat isn't working, I would use the phone option. Email is really not even supported.

HopelessArloQ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for replying I got that swapped with a new one. Even the shop agrees this is a complete hardware failure.

With the newly swapped camera it wasn't perfect and I just want to post the feedback / observation in case it would help someone in future.
1) installation is never as easy as prescribed. With the swapped camera, it was still unable to be discovered via wifi / lan cable. The repair centre reassures me the discovery should be so seamless that I was doubting if I got another broken camera. But there are indeed some subtle differences: this time although discovery still sucks, it took 3 minutes before indicator blinked orange/ timed out. Also with the cable plugged in, I could see from router indicator that the camera is making a connection to internet.
2) What turns out working is that with the lan cable still on, you have to push WPS on router to connect via Ethernet mode. Exact procedures can be referred to other posts in this community.
3) After first time discovery is successful i was able to upgrade firmwire. But all in all below are still malfunction as I intend to try out all functions with this cam:
- wifi 5GHz discovery never suceed: as confirmed with repair center, this function is highly unreliable so they would always ask you to stick to 2.4GHz
- With LAN cable plug in (ethernet/ poe mode) it always switch back to WiFi as connection channel

Anyways, definitely not a pleasant and smooth experience with this brand but I do appreciate all support and previous sharings posted here!
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation