Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 7 In Conversation
JDNAlabama
Follower
Follower

I don't understand my options with the new EOL policy.  If I agree to the monthly subscription, will my current WMC4030 cameras still have their detections and videos recorded on the Arlo 30-day cloud storage?  Or do I have to scrap them and buy all new cameras? 

7 REPLIES 7
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master
shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

I hope they leave us with a fully working system though. Geofencing is not working in Android.

But from what I read the only way to use the system as we see it today is to spend money. Below is quote from kb

What does this mean to me when the services are moved to EOL? 
For users of the affected devices, free 7-day rolling cloud storage will no longer be available, and users will no longer receive email notifications for system issues such as low battery or motion detection.

Can I still use my EOL device?
EOL devices may continue to be operated by the existing registered Arlo owners to livestream video from the camera, receive motion notifications on their smartphone, and store video clips locally with a compatible Arlo SmartHub or Base Station.

EOL devices can utilize Arlo’s new cloud video storage platform, which is available with the Arlo Secure subscription service. However, some features may not be available on EOL devices since these devices no longer receive software or firmware updates and are no longer supported.

Am I able to record videos if I have an Arlo Secure subscription? 
Yes, users who are subscribed to Arlo Secure can still use their EOL cameras to record video. For more information on Arlo Secure, please visit: Arlo Secure Plans 

Why are these services going to EOL?

• Arlo is migrating its video storage to a new platform that delivers better scalability and efficiency for the growth of Arlo’s global user base. Arlo has delayed the shut off (retirement) of old video storage services to provide ample notice, and to continue providing the service to compatible devices until they are moved to EOL.
  • Arlo is migrating our emergency response capabilities to new services that deliver a full-service, personalized customer experience (Professional Monitoring), and a more efficient DIY experience (Direct Dispatch).
  • Email system notifications are being retired as push notifications offer a superior experience, with better security, privacy, and efficiency.
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

IMHO I would suggest you shop around first, EOL users here have already gone that way and who could blame them given the uncertainty of arlo sticking round.

If you can afford the subscription costs you could go down the road to see what happens April 1st.

The base compatibly will just an additional cost again and IMHO using the backup storage is a waste of effort given the limitations.

There is no guarantee that geofencing will continue to work post EOL April 1st which is why it is not mentioned.

If you’re waiting for updates, I imagine the last camera firmware update on March 31st will nobble them for EOL.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@shoustonnz wrote:

I hope they leave us with a fully working system though. Geofencing is not working in Android.

It's working here but there seems to be an issue with Samsung phones.

ANy EOL camera will continue to work if you have a subscription for cloud recordings or are connected to a SmartHub for local recordings. They will lose updates which may eventually result in loss of features/access but we have no way of knowing if or when that may happen. As long as the hardware works and nothing significant has changed relative to these devices you can continue to use them. Of course, it may also be wise to start coming up with a plan to update hardware.

shdowfax
Aspirant
Aspirant

They imply the camera will still work with a subscription but there are other limitations that are not explained.  The 5-camera limit seems to be fixed but they say nothing about multiple systems on one email account!  The worst part is that I can't find a way to "talk" to them!!  The computer-generated answers to not help me!! 

I need to talk to someone and get some king of guarantee they will not change their policies again in the future.     

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@shdowfax wrote:

I need to talk to someone and get some kind of guarantee they will not change their policies again in the future.     

FWIW, their contract terms says they can make changes with 30 days notice.

I don't work for Arlo - but I think you'll find that they won't make any guarantees about the future.  A subscription should keep things working as they do now (with more retention), but they are not promising that will be the case forever.

Twells2
Aspirant
Aspirant

The chat bot said you have to PAY for the live help. Otherwise you may access the community boards for help.  Kind of ridiculous and since it is so hard to find out exactly what we should do to upgrade and how it works, I think I'm out....sad the boards also say the rechargeable batteries from our old cameras don't fit new cameras.  Just more $ and no reward for loyalty.