Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

which smartthings hub product is needed for me?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DIFF4045
Follower
Follower

I bought the 3 camera pack from costco and I like it. My problem is that I want to add motion sensors to my new house. Looks like that it is the only way to add them to buy a smartthings hub. There are three products: Samsung Smartthings Hub ($49), Samsung Connect Home, and Samsung Connect Home Pro. Do I have to buy just one of them or just the first one (hub $49)? I will add 7 motion sensors to it and trigger arlo siren to ring if unexpected door open is detected. Is this doable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pc2k17
Hero
Hero
You want the Samsung SmartThings hub. The Connect products are more for connecting to appliances, heating systems, lighting, etc that are in Samsungs eco system. SmartThings works with Samsung products as well as many other products as long as it's a wifi, zwave or zigbee device. I have SmartThings setup with Arlo and Amazon Echo.

While smarthings is very customizable, I haven't tried setting up exactly what you want. I can't say for sure if you can have the arlo base ring from a smartthings motion trigger event. I'm not sure the arlo integration into smartthings is that advanced. You can however buy a siren that will hook right to smartthings and can be setup to go off when a motion trigger event occurs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
pc2k17
Hero
Hero
You want the Samsung SmartThings hub. The Connect products are more for connecting to appliances, heating systems, lighting, etc that are in Samsungs eco system. SmartThings works with Samsung products as well as many other products as long as it's a wifi, zwave or zigbee device. I have SmartThings setup with Arlo and Amazon Echo.

While smarthings is very customizable, I haven't tried setting up exactly what you want. I can't say for sure if you can have the arlo base ring from a smartthings motion trigger event. I'm not sure the arlo integration into smartthings is that advanced. You can however buy a siren that will hook right to smartthings and can be setup to go off when a motion trigger event occurs.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I decided to check in my smartthings app if the arlo base can be used as a siren and it appears it can. In the home monitor section of smartthings, you can choose the arlo siren to alert you when motion is detected or depending how you have smartthings setup, open/close sensors can trigger the arlo base siren too. I haven't tested it, but you can definetely set it up in smartthings.