Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

solar panel VMA4600 cable needed

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
dpugh
Initiate
Initiate

Using Arlo Pro outdoors with the solar panel. Cable was pulled off the house siding somehow (I'm guessing a squirrel) and was in the dirt of the flower bed for an unknown time. Tried to clean it off, but it will not work now. The solar panel was not disturbed, so I assume it is just the cable that's the issue. Can I just buy a replacement cable? I've read multiple times that Arlo does not oblige, and wants you to spring for a whole new solar kit, which is patently absurd and quite unfriendly to customers who have made the investments. Has this changed yet? Anyone have any luck with this issue? I have also found it impossible to talk to live support people, and seriously wonder if I want home security devices from people I can't contact. Glad I have ADT as my primary. Oh, BTW, this report screen offers "labels" after the report, limited to

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dpugh
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for that tip. - 12/29/18 - Called ARLO support at 1-408-638-3750 to request replacement cable for one of my solar panels. (Looked like mine was pulled down but a small animal - likely a squirrel.) First customer service guy took 15 minutes establishing the info, my request, and opening a case. He could not handle the question at his station, so he then transferred me to the “Concerns Department.” Waited on hold another 15 minutes. The “Concerns Department” had to have me repeat all my info again, and verify I’m me. Then, after ANOTHER 15 minutes in discussion, finally was granted a one-time cable replacement free. They were all nice enough, but reeeealy sluggish getting to the point, over-cautious following their scripts. Current cable availability is low, so they will email me before it is sent. I received an email for the case, to which I must reply with the solar panel serial number in order to fulfill the replacement. (I couldn’t do that readily on the phone due to the location where it is mounted on the exterior of the house.) So it sounds like I am finally getting the cable. The alternative was to buy another $80 solar panel, which is just stupid. The cables should be available as a normal sale item. I offered to pay for the cable and shipping. I really wasn’t looking for a freebie since it is over a year old, and it’s not their fault an animal ripped it out. I’m just crossing my fingers that I can conceal it and protect it well enough to make this one survive the ravages of the critter again. A VERY long process to get this, and the right person was hard to discover, but it seems to be done now. It should be far easier. And newsflash to ARLO: People can buy cables, if only you make them available. Be more user friendly guys. It's really nice you did this, but my time is worth far more than a cable.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Looks like “no”, but here is a thread from June on this topic.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Replacement-Solar-Panel-Cable/td-p/1550347

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

SInce the cable is not a regular accessory to purchase, open a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

dpugh
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for that tip. - 12/29/18 - Called ARLO support at 1-408-638-3750 to request replacement cable for one of my solar panels. (Looked like mine was pulled down but a small animal - likely a squirrel.) First customer service guy took 15 minutes establishing the info, my request, and opening a case. He could not handle the question at his station, so he then transferred me to the “Concerns Department.” Waited on hold another 15 minutes. The “Concerns Department” had to have me repeat all my info again, and verify I’m me. Then, after ANOTHER 15 minutes in discussion, finally was granted a one-time cable replacement free. They were all nice enough, but reeeealy sluggish getting to the point, over-cautious following their scripts. Current cable availability is low, so they will email me before it is sent. I received an email for the case, to which I must reply with the solar panel serial number in order to fulfill the replacement. (I couldn’t do that readily on the phone due to the location where it is mounted on the exterior of the house.) So it sounds like I am finally getting the cable. The alternative was to buy another $80 solar panel, which is just stupid. The cables should be available as a normal sale item. I offered to pay for the cable and shipping. I really wasn’t looking for a freebie since it is over a year old, and it’s not their fault an animal ripped it out. I’m just crossing my fingers that I can conceal it and protect it well enough to make this one survive the ravages of the critter again. A VERY long process to get this, and the right person was hard to discover, but it seems to be done now. It should be far easier. And newsflash to ARLO: People can buy cables, if only you make them available. Be more user friendly guys. It's really nice you did this, but my time is worth far more than a cable.