Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
attilauro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it possible to use a netgear range extender for arlo pro base station ? Could you suggest a netgear range extender ?

9 REPLIES 9
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
You can plug the base into an extender if it has an available Ethernet port.
attilauro
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have to buy  the Netgear EX7300 or a more economic model ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Pretty much any extender with an Ethernet port will work. The major reason for an expensive extender would be for features for other equipment that may connect or possibly to allow the extender to be placed even further from the router.

Remember that the extender simply allows you to reposition the base to a more favorable location and has nothing to do with allowing the cameras to be placed further away.

attilauro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Couls I connect with ethernet cable the ARLO Pro Base to a router netgear R7800 that is a powerful WiFi Router ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sure - the basic configuration is to connect the base to a router.  The extender is only to allow the base to be somewhere more central to all the cameras.

attilauro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it mandatory to have an internet connection ? I ask that because in my home I have many hard disk connected to the R7800 router and nowaday I have only an internet connection with 4G SIM that have a maximum traffic of 15GB each month. So i don't want to use my traffic to trasmit the video to the ARLO cloud

jguerdat wrote:

Sure - the basic configuration is to connect the base to a router.  The extender is only to allow the base to be somewhere more central to all the cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It could be done to a degree but I think it would be painful. You can add a USB drive of various sorts to the Pro base once configured and then disconnect the base from the router. You would then have to manually remove the USB device to view on a computer. The big catch would be that you would have no control over your cameras at all because the system wouldn't be connected to the Internet and that's required to control anything to do with the system. I suspect you'd be better off with an IP camera that you can view locally and store video on the drive connected to the router.
attilauro
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've just ordered two arlo pro cameras with the PRO base station. Because I have a big home, if the cameras do not  have a good wifi connection with the PRO base station could I use an extender ? What model of netgear extender do you suggest ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't use an extender for the cameras.  You can use a second base so you can spread the coverage over the whole house if necessary.  You'd have to spread the cameras between the two bases to do this.  Or possibly use an extender to attach the single base to in a more cnetral location that evens out the coverage.