Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ORBI and Arlo Pro - Good Combo!

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Knight_Rider
Guide
Guide

I recently purchased an ORBI router/sat combo. I was having some problems with cameras constantly disconnecting (I have 6 Cams), I went through the normal trouble shooting process swapping batts/swapping camera posistions nothing seemed to be conclusive. I returned the cams for replacements they of course started working for a while then one of the replacement cams in a totally different position started dropping offline.

I know as most of you do, the cams connect to the base station as it is brodcasting the signal back and forth to the cams. After much trial and error and some frustration of climbing ladders, swapping batts, removing devices, and resyncing to the base station i needed a new solution. 

I took  2 cams back to best buy and exchanged 1 camera for a replacement, the other I exchanged for a 1 camera kit + base station. 

I also picked up the orbi router/sat combo. I set it up and plugged my additional base station into the orbi sat in my garage using it as an access point. I then took the 3 cams watching that side of the house and resynced them to the base in the garage. The other 3 cams are synced to my orginal base which is closer to them upstairs, this base is hooked into the orbi router. 

I have had no more issues - this is just speculation, but I think some of the bases my have a weak transmitter in them causing the constant connection losses with some cameras. My orginal base seems to work much better with 3 cams synced to it instead of the 6. 

There are alot of variables here, but so far so good. And for anyone who might think it is going to be hard setting up the orbi, its really plug and play as long as you follow the instructions. The router/sat have 4 ethernet ports on them, so just plug your additonal base into the sat and you should be ok. Then just follow the instructions that come with the new base and you should have all your cams all in one location. 

I will report back if I encouter any issues. 

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just watch the possible Orbi and ios issue...  With the newest verson of router sw, the IOS devices ( mine an ipad ) there were drop outs every 10 mins.

I had to go back to version .16 to stop same.

And yes, the satellite makes a great AP for the second base... Also found the Q went over to 5ghz instead of 2.4

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Knight_Rider
Guide
Guide

Interesting, I have an Ipad but usually view over my android phone. I will have to test both today. 

How hard was it to revert FW?

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Tom,

I'm getting my ORBI today.

Would you suggest that I do NOT update the software if I am using an Iphone?

Thanks,

Dave

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It is simple to back date the sw if needed,  you down load the sw and the router can pull it from your computer, take a few mins only

Dave; No, I would let the Orbi do it's thing, When i got mine there was an upgrade avaiable... I did it twice then noticed the issue , Try out the lastest sw for it...some don't have the issue and it may be related to what IOS device you use... My ipad is a g3 running 9.3.2

There is a bit more info on the Orbi community page

And because its Arlo here , the Orbi works great with Arlo  🙂

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BTW, the sw update is not automatic..you have to toggle it to start an update

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

OK Thanks for the info guys.

I'm looking forward to using the new router.

Dave

Knight_Rider
Guide
Guide

Tom, 

Can you describe the drop you had on your IOS device on the lastest FW for the ORBI while having the base station attached to the SAT? Are you talking that when you open the device the cameras show offline for approximately 1-2 secs then show up or are you talking about a drop out in  live viewing or not recording. 

Was running some tests on both my android phone and IPAD the only thing I noticed that *may be different is the cams show offline for 1-2 seconds then come back on line during the APP view.  

Was just curious what you meant when your described your problem with the latest FW for ORBI, just to make sure I am not missing something and therefore missing some malecious activity around my house at night. 

Thanks, 

Knight_Rider 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What I experienced was during streaming on the Ipad....

I usu use the Ipad as a spare tv ( cable company allows same ) to stream shows.  During the streamong the show would pause for about 1-2 seconds and then continue.  I happen to actually notice the wifi signal bar drop to nothng and then come back a second later and the thee show would catch up on buffer and restart.

If you check the router community, there are a couple threads.

I dropped the SW version back to .16 and most of the problems when away... still happens nw and then.

Other have stated to disable beaming in the advance settings too.

Didn't see any problem on the Kindle HD during streaming shows... both devices running on the Satellite and on the 5 ghz side

Never saw a problem on the extra base running off the Satellite ethernet port ... just the ipad.

Knight_Rider
Guide
Guide

Ok Thanks, no issues like that thus far. 

Thanks Again, 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

good... BTW, Netgear is aware of the issue and maybe in the next SW ( right now .34 is current ) will be corrected.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me so I don't miss the thread addition