Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 11 In Conversation
Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a 4-kit cameras with a couple of spare batteries bought along them (with the included chargers). One of the cameras is always plugged in with the power and the battery installed. It runs OK for a couple of days, with the Blue LED Light showing as fully charged, and after some time, the blue LED turns of and soon after I get the dreaded "The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery".

Before you recommend me the basic stuff, let me tell you that I've already tried every permutation of cameras/batteries/chargers, so it's not an isolated case with one camera, battery or charger alone.

It seems to be a pretty common issue, as I have found several threads here in the forum with the same issue. It must be a firmware thing because all the cameras are having the same problems; most of the users don't find out about them because 1) randomness of when it happens 2) don't use the camera always plugged.

The only way to kind of fix this is to:

1) Unplug the camera

2) Wait for it to fall to about 90% charge (because if not, it won't charge again)

3) Remove and reinstall the battery

4) Reconnect the charger

Having to do this pretty much every week is quite annoying. Isn't there anything you could fix on your side @JamesC? If you actually plan to sell the outdoor charger / solar panel, this is something you really need to look into.

Sadly, since I've aquired the system, I've been having a lot of these "little" nuissances: OAUTH security issue because we can't revoke access to third party services, the carrot-on-a-stick Solar Panel release date, never getting IFTTT to work in the most basic of the setup because of an "Arlo Service Error" (when ...... anyway, the cameras are great when they actually work, but they certainly aren't polished enough. I had the regular Arlo before, sold it and upgrade to the Pro, hoping that most of these issues would have been ironed out, but as of now, sadly I can't actually recommend it to any of my friends.

Thanks in advance for any help about this.

24 REPLIES 24
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Timmy256,

This error tends to occur when using the incorrect charger. I haven't seen this when using the cable and ac adapter that comes with the Arlo Pro kit.

If you've already ruled out the possibility of an issue with a specific battery camera or cable, i'm not sure what could be causing the error to occur. I will escalate this topic and see what I can find out. 

JamesC

Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for your reply JamesC. Yes, I'm using the included charger and cable and its happening with it, with all the cameras/batteries rotated to try all the combinations and also with the two spare that I got from the extra batteries.

It varies from when it triggers. Sometimes, the camera lasts a day with the blue LED (fully charged and OK) and then the blue LED turns off and soon after I get the error. Other times, it stays a week or more with the blue LED steady lit, until it happens again and it the process repeats.

There isn't a way to reset the camera remotely, right? Because this gets fixed if I manually remove the battery and put it again, but it's really a pain since the camera is "perfectly framed" for my case and doing that wastes me another half and hour of manually readjusting it.

Of course, I've tried every combination in the current UI to "turn off the camera", "turn off the charging LED", rapidly changing them, leaving them for days, etc., to see if it would kick in and make the camera to reconnect. Needless to say, it didn't work.

It's funny, because as of now, the camera has been plugged to the original charger for a week, working fine, without touching it at all, until the time I posted this thread and the camera is still connected and untouched, but it doesn't "see" the charger, I get the error in the UI and the battery percentage keeps going doing with the current use, even though it's plugged to the Arlo charger!

Thanks again for your reply.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Timmy256,

I will reach out to you in a private message to collect more information on this topic.

JamesC

Timmy256
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @JamesC, sorry to ask again, but do you have any further details on the investigation done in the ticket? The battery in my plugged in camera keeps discharging, with no way to charge it.

If you take a look at this other thread (Arlo Pro Won't Recharge ), you will see a lot of comments describing exactly my very same problem. In the past, I've "fixed" it by removing, reinserting the battery, the cable, etc. a zillion times, and somewhere along all that, the lovely blue blinking light would appear, indicating that the "handhshake" for the charging is currently active and working. But now, even though I did all that, the dreaded orange light keeps blinking, telling me that "The plugged charger cannot charge the battery", no matter what I do.

Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Timmy256,

An update has been sent on your support case. Please refer to your open case for additional details.

JamesC

matuckgso
Aspirant
Aspirant

The charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery.  This is occurring on only 1 of my 5 cameras.  Solutions??

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Faulty camera, battery or charger. I'd bet on the camera. Open a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.
Psv2363
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just started having the same problem. I have four cameras outside connected to power. Two are running from the same power source (receptical). Th outdoor power adapters are from arlo and have been connected for about 2 week and I have had no problems. Today the one camera has a red battery on the sceeen and it says the charging source connected to the camera cannot charge your battery. Please use an Arlo powered adapter. IT IS.....
Psv2363
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just spoke to a Netgear support staff who informed me that Netgear does not recommend leaving the battery in the camera when running power to it. Would have been nice to know on the front end.....
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Psv2363,

Leaving the battery in the camera while charging should not cause any issues. Take a look here: Can Arlo Pro and Arlo Go batteries overcharge if I leave the camera or the charging station plugged ...

JamesC

Psv2363
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok, just going by what arlo support just told me over the phone. Any other ideas what the issue could be?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Psv2363,

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the charging cable?

JamesC

Psv2363
Aspirant
Aspirant
I did. Seems to be working again. Thank you for your hep.
V8
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I am having the same problem on one of my cameras and I am using the genuine Arlo Outdoor Power Adapter. What was the fix, besides pulling the battery? (or going through the stupid rigmarole of completely remove and re-sync). Already done this once and it's re-appeared after a week.

As far as the support comment goes in 'not powering it continually', then that is utter rubbish and just a poorly trained member of the technical team, which in my experience is most of the 1st line guys.

Ridiculous if you ask me. I already have an (on hold)  ticket open which is waiting for HW9 release so the cameras can be RMA'd because of the 'ticking clock' issues.

I've since had 'pink grass' on the other camera and had to get the ladders out (again) to start pulling batteries etc.

This should not be happening on a CCTV system of this expense...but I guess it's typical Netgear quality control....It seems I am spending more time checking my cameras to see if they are working properly rather than actually reviewing footage. I really am on the verge of asking for my money back.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

V8,

A user above was able to resolve the issue by reconnecting the charging cable. Consider disconnecting and reconnecting the charging cable and be sure the connection is tight and secure.

JamesC

msvaughn
Initiate
Initiate

I've have recently started getting this error as well on only one of my cameras.  Disconnecting/reconnnecting is not resolving the issue.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

msvaughn,

Are you sure you're using the charging cable and power adapter that came with your Arlo system? If so, and this is only occurring on one camera, try rebooting the camera (remove and reinsert the battery) and see if you still experience the issue.

JamesC

dallasxj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have this issue now and tried all of the suggestions in this thread so far.  Are we still waiting on the HW9 code release or is there another work around to try?

I have enjoyed the camera system so far, but a shame that this issue seems common elsewhere in the community.

Lurys
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello

I have the same problem on two of five Arlo Pro cameras. The cameras are install very far (2 hours in car) from my house. I can't go every week to charge the cameras. I need to have the cameras always charging on. 

How I can fix the problem?

Psv2363
Aspirant
Aspirant
In my case it has been determined that the camera is faulty and netgear is replacing it for me.
Lurys
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, I will open a case in Support.

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

I'm also having this issue. Removed battery, resynced device. I know it's the battery because i replaced it from another camera and it charges fine on the other battery. Is there any fix for this?

Chillmiester
Luminary
Luminary

I left it plugged in for 15 minutes and it started recognizing the battery.

aborrelli
Aspirant
Aspirant

I keep my exterior camera plugged in to the wall plug using the USB charger cable, without the battery and it work fine.