Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Jabroni
Apprentice
Apprentice

Title says it all.

I have the cameras set to recorn on motion and not stop until motion stops. But instead of continuous recording for up to 300 seconds, the cameras only record for 9 seconds and then stop. And start a new recording moments later.

Anyone have a similar problem? Anyone know how to fix this?

(please do not suggest that I set up my own modes/rules. Ive already done that, and set the camera to the right setting, the setting simply doesnt work).

60 REPLIES 60
Greg555
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why am I not seeing any of these options???

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Are you using a Pro camera? The original cameras don't support this option. Also, it's in your camera rules, not Settings. Mode tab, click on your base and edit your modes.
Greg555
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using PRO

Heres what my options are for "BASE"arlo.PNG

RWEED
Apprentice
Apprentice

This stil seems to buggy, I was talking to my neighbor to test this. We were always moving and waving our arms but it never recorded longer than 26 seconds...

Capture.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The setting for record until motion stops isn't in the base, it's in your modes/rules for you camera(s). Use the Mode tab, click on your base and edit any modes you use.

Recording requires the motion to be detectable.  The picture shows people at some distance which, depending on the distance, angle of motion relative to the FOV, and sensitivity setting, may be the issue for 26 seconds.  It may also be useful to power cycle the base.  For some reason, that seemed to help mine work properly.

Jdubs15
Initiate
Initiate

Please fix this, I just set up my cameras this weekend and everything is going well except this part of it.  It totally defeats the idea of having cameras if its going to stop recording even though motion is clearly still happening.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Again, if the motion can't be detected by the camera, recording stops. You can test this yourself by walking in the same areas, using the same paths with both times and until motion stops settings. If the camera doesn't record your movements in both cases, it's not a camera or software issue, it's a position, distance or area of movement thing. We don't have your environment so can't test your issue but you certainly can. Remember that people detection maxes out at 20 feet or so and that's with side to side motion.
seanbossert
Tutor
Tutor

I have a video from about 40minutes ago that shows a kid delivering a package to my front door (6ft away) while his dad checks the rest of the packages in the car (15ft away). Once the kid gets past the camera, it stops about 5 seconds later and there is no recording of him going back to the car. Should I lodge a missing person form? No, the function does not work. Please stop telling people to unplug, replug, replug after 5 min, power cycle your camera, router, modem. If it doesn't work just own it. Say, "Everyone, we're sorry, but we don't know why this isn't working. We are working on it, and we hope we can have it working soon." I'm 100% fine with that. But when you tell me all this other BS, and numerous people call you out on it and you continue to stick to your stupid PR comment like a politician, I'm going to start treating you like a liar and I won't be buying your products in the future. But whatever, no one high up enough in the company will read this anyway so who cares right?! Certainly not you!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Back it down, bucko. 1) loss of motion for about 5 seconds stops the recording. Then there's a reset time for the cameras, both of which combined explains the loss of recording. There are limitations in any system. You may want to use timed recordings instead.
1unhappycustome
Guide
Guide

Yep, Netgear customer service is less than stellar.  I cannot reccomend the Arlo system to others due to the customer service experience I have had to date. The system as a whole is c+ at best.

seanbossert
Tutor
Tutor

Completely agree, will be recinding my reccommendation to my brother in law.

Tried to set the camera to a fixed length of recording but the setting will not stick from either the mobile app or the web portal.

The recording about 40 minutes before this delivery was a UPS truck that pulled across the street (40-50ft) and it recorded for a minute even though the motion stopped seven seconds after it started. Recorded no motion for 58 seconds....

1unhappycustome
Guide
Guide

I recieve so ,any text alerts from the system and the only activity is the trees in the bakground swaying. The delay from the start of motion is terrible. The UPS driver dropped off a package and all I saw was the box and the trruck leaving the driveway. It is not the sensativity as it picked up the truck leaving so it must have also noted the arrival.

MiniTux
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having this issue as well. Restarting doesn't help. I have a video of someone walking towards my front door (diagonal) but as he got close (but not close enough to identify him, the video stopped. A whopping 9 second video and about 6 seconds of that was of nothing before he came into view. So clearly there was motion, he didn't stop and there wasn't anything before that to make it stop and it didnt start again after either. Any cheap ideas for that one? I bought this camera because people were stealing my mail from my apartment doorstep. What if this was one of those instances and I could have caught them, but your product failed?
MiniTux
Aspirant
Aspirant
I should also note, that I have tried using timed recordings and it still just records for as long as it feels like. Currently set at 45 seconds, but I only get 20-22 second videos. That's how long the majority of them were when set to "record until motion stops". It was mostly just people walking by, followed by 10 seconds of nothing. Makes sense to me....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That sounds like a poor connection between the camera and base. Describe the setup with distance, walls, house construction, etc. What is the WiFi indicator showing? Can you swap cameras to see if it's the camera or the location?
ERIC-LUI1
Tutor
Tutor
I hope there will be officail good news from netgear to solve this old bug. It has been a year soon since it was first raised. Very disappointing!
seanbossert
Tutor
Tutor

I thought I posted this in the Arlo Pro forums which I was under the impression didn't need a base station... If it does, well mine seems to work just fine without it so I guess there's another mistake to fix.

Regardless it is hardwired to my Gigabit switch, which is hardwired to my 75m connection.

No I'm not going to buy another $200+ camera just to test if Netgears software works. Send me one for free and I'll let you know but just taking a wild stab in the dark here, since this problem has been reported by multiple people in multiple different scenarios on multiple days, I think, just maybe, perhaps, there is a small possibility, of a real likelihood, that there is a chance, it might just be the software. No guarantees, just a hunch.

rvenneman
Aspirant
Aspirant

seanbossert wrote:

I thought I posted this in the Arlo Pro forums which I was under the impression didn't need a base station... If it does, well mine seems to work just fine without it so I guess there's another mistake to fix.

Regardless it is hardwired to my Gigabit switch, which is hardwired to my 75m connection.

No I'm not going to buy another $200+ camera just to test if Netgears software works. Send me one for free and I'll let you know but just taking a wild stab in the dark here, since this problem has been reported by multiple people in multiple different scenarios on multiple days, I think, just maybe, perhaps, there is a small possibility, of a real likelihood, that there is a chance, it might just be the software. No guarantees, just a hunch.

I hooked up the unit today and it stopped recording while I was still in the picture after 16 seconds over and over again. I am so pissed I spend 700 on the product I can not have it do the main function. I have to set it for a specific time??? Is Netgear a fly-by-night outfit? I am checking the date on my receipt from Best Buy.

Joe-N
Tutor
Tutor

Honestly, it seems like they just don't care. I can't recommend these cameras any more. I may be stuck with mine, but at least I can save others from this mess.

1unhappycustome
Guide
Guide

I have to agree the appearance is Netgear does not care. They do not work to resolve issues and they fail to recognize their problems. If they do acknowledge the problem they sate its ok and will not compensate the customer in any why. Best Buy would not let me return the system and Netgear would not make it right. OTHERS please buy another product. !!!!!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have escalated this topic to engineering for review. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

seanbossert
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you James.

EMZ
Guide
Guide

I am also experiencing this issue with cameras I bought at the weekend running the latest firmware. With lateral movement across the camera view, recording stops usually around 16 secs, & usually another clip is recorded immediately. I have changed the sensitivity which made no difference & also tried the fixed time recording which works but this defeats the object of the record until no motion option & also increases battery usage. Thus I have logged this with Arlo Support to hopefully have them look into this a little more. Other than that I am happy with the cameras & the app, but for longer scenes this could be a fatal flaw if recording stops at a critical moment & these aren't cheap so there is an expectation that they should do what it says on the box !! ..

ERIC-LUI1
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks you JamesC!!
GetOverIt
Initiate
Initiate
In the first quarter of 2017 NetGear made nearly $314 million, which was $13 million more than the same quarter the previous year. Of course the company does not care about 2 pages on a forum with multiple posts by the same users. It's bean counting 101. Don't be naive. Hate the product? Get something else and don't buy from NetGear again; it is the ONLY actual power you have.

Reality check: My guess is that of the few people who have complained here over half are still using the service, so these complaints are utterly irrelevant to the company. The "we are looking into it" is just a standard response so the company can claim the listened to feedback. They already have your money, and losing a few thousand customers every so often does nothing to them.