Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"Record activity until motion stops" does not work

Discussion stats
Jabroni
Apprentice
Apprentice

Title says it all.

I have the cameras set to recorn on motion and not stop until motion stops. But instead of continuous recording for up to 300 seconds, the cameras only record for 9 seconds and then stop. And start a new recording moments later.

Anyone have a similar problem? Anyone know how to fix this?

(please do not suggest that I set up my own modes/rules. Ive already done that, and set the camera to the right setting, the setting simply doesnt work).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is investigating this issue. This feature is still under development at this time and users should select a predefined length for recording until this feature is officially released. We will be removing this feature until it is ready for release.

JamesC

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since it's anew feature, there's been little testing and input.  It does seem that there could be issues with it based on the few comments so far.  However, it has to be asked - was the motion continuing in a manner which can be detected?

Jabroni
Apprentice
Apprentice
"Little testing and input"

Huh? Can I ask, why a feature is added that hasn't been tested and proven to work ahead of release? What is it with security camera companies using their customers as BETA testers.

If there is a glitch or bug that understandibly snuck it's way thru a company's own testing, I get it. But there is no excuse for a feature not working at all.

And to your second point, yes, of course the motion continues longer than 9 seconds. Otherwise I wouldn't be here bringing up the issue. And, like I mentioned in my first post, the canera wouldn't immediately start recording another 9 second clip if the motion wasn't continuing.

QUESTION: since this feature is "new and hasn't been tested" can I just set the cameras to record for fixed time, and if so, will it always record for 120 seconds or will it stop early if the motion stops?
Eugr
Guide
Guide

It looks like it always records for the previously set time limit minus one second. When I had 20 seconds and discovered this new setting, I started to get recordings 19 seconds long. Then I changed the fixed time to 30 seconds and then switched back to "record until motion stops" and now I'm getting 29 seconds recordings.

To me it seems like the feature was enabled in UI, but the firmware update supporting this functionality has not been pushed to the cameras/base station yet. 

Anyway it would be good to hear official Netgear comment on that.

Jabroni
Apprentice
Apprentice

Very interesting observation. 

This is what I was hoping for. Some users that have experienced this issue and noted some work arounds. 

But again, this is VERY frustrating that a company would release a feature that they damn well know doesn't work. There is no way in hell that they didn't see this issue ahead of release. 

I'd call customer support but the damn 45 min wait isnt worth it. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Little testing and input means from the users. Who knows what the labs have done?
Jabroni
Apprentice
Apprentice

Apparently the labs haven't done any testing. 

I cannot imagine they thought this feature was ready for release. It's not quirky, or flawed, or sorta functional.... it's just flat out busted.

Stevenross
Star
Star

Good evening everyone I tried it and it doesn't work it seems like it's not sensitive at all compared to the timed setting.  In the setting it seems that it starts too late ends too early and doesn't start again when motion is detected.

Jabroni
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stevenross wrote:

Good evening everyone I tried it and it doesn't work it seems like it's not sensitive at all compared to the timed setting.  In the setting it seems that it starts too late ends too early and doesn't start again when motion is detected.

So knowing this, how does this get brought to Netgear's attention?

Do they read these forums?

Do they care?

Stevenross
Star
Star

They definitely read and moderate these forums

cyberone3
Star
Star

I am also having the same issues guess back to times recording and 120 seconds 😞

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can verify this so it's an issue that will have to result in an update.

Jabroni
Apprentice
Apprentice
Let me say, thank u to all who have participated in this thread and have taken the time to verify the flaw I noticed with the motion sense.

This is a great community of users. Much better than what Im used too on social media.

All that said, how can we bring this issue to Netgear's attention?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open a case through the Contact Support link at the bottom of the desktop version of these pages.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Cam4me
Tutor
Tutor
Case opened 2 days ago and still no response. They obviously know Something is wrong. They'usually respond right away.
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
It doesn't work no effect it record to 9-10sec
Cam4me
Tutor
Tutor
Till I hear anything, I manually record about a minute so I don't miss event. My arlo Q cameras work great, recording couple seconds before and after event. Pretty accurate. Now if I could figure out why they record in pink
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is investigating this issue. This feature is still under development at this time and users should select a predefined length for recording until this feature is officially released. We will be removing this feature until it is ready for release.

JamesC

tillmotionstops
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah, I remember a couple days ago when I set my system to 'record until motion stops up till 5 minutes'. I figured, "this is the setting for me"! Then it disappeared! I was baffled! At least now I can quit looking for it and know I actually did have that setting before.
1unhappycustome
Guide
Guide

This was a primary factor in my decision to buy the Arlo system and the feature has been removed. Now I am stuck with a system that does not perform as advertised. Are there others in the same situation? I have escalated my case to several departments. Not very customer friendly. Let’s get this resolved

mbauer
Apprentice
Apprentice
A classic case of overpromising and under-delivery. My biggest issue right now is that the cameras will not continue to record if there is still motion. Someone broke into both of our cars several weeks ago and much of it was not recorded because of the long 30+ second reset period. Why is it so difficult for Netgear to resolve this issue?
Joe-N
Tutor
Tutor

This is still a problem. I have my cameras set to 'Record until activity stops (up to 300 sec)', but never get anything longer than about 30 seconds. Today a car pulled into my driveway, the driver got out and, as they were walking towards the camera, the recording stopped at 28 sec. Obviously, there was still motion and the recording should have continued.

Please fix this problem, as it defeats the purpose of having security cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Walking towards the camera may well have been the issue as well as maybe the distance.  Motion is best detected across the FOV, not directly at the camera.  My tests have shown that recording stops after ~5 seconds if motion is not detectable.

Joe-N
Tutor
Tutor

I don't think that's it. The motion was actually about 15 ft away and at an angle to the camera. It just seemed to randomly stop recording. I wish there was a setting for timed recordings other than only up to 15 secs. Something like a minute or longer after motion stops, and able to reset the timer if motion resumes would be really helpful. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Timed recordings are available up to 2 minutes. Recording resumes for either timed recordings or for until motion stops settings after a brief pause for the recordings to upload and the system to reset.