Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
sqco
Tutor
Tutor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix for this went out recently that should resolve issues with the push to talk feature when using a T-Mobile device on a data connection. Please let me know if you continue experiencing any issues.

JamesC

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You have to tell us details so we can even start to help.

Hemicon
Guide
Guide
Sqco, I have this same issue and I boiled it down to 2 things: it's either the Arlo app doesn't yet support your latest phone OS or the mic on your phone is defective or maybe is clogged with lint or grime or something like that. Just yesterday my wife and I were testing and my problem is 2 fold. I first issue is actually getting the mic to become solid so that I can press to speak. I keep getting the "please wait" message and nothing happens. This is 9 times out of 10. When it does work, it's very low (almost inaudible). We both are using Android devices (hers is 6.0.1, mine is 7.0) and hers work 9 out of 10 times with much louder sound coming from the cameras. We tested all 4 cameras with the same result.
Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

We all agree it is NOT a problem with your phone. There is definitely a problem with the speaker output on the cameras themselves. I have Arlo four camera kit set; cameras hardware “H7”, most updated firmware on base and cameras (1.088.0.0_9373). Mine are all up at 100%. There is no “plastic over the device.”

I have tried on iphone 6, iPhone 6s and laptop (both with and wihout external headseat I use for skype), all on together on my robust and well running Wi-Fi net; and on iPhones vie LTE. Audio that is input from the cameras works great with tolerable lag. Audio output from any and all of the cameras is barely audible to not audible at all on all four cameras

It is useless for using to speak to someone who is near the cameras

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I will disagree here that something else is going on.....

from testing with PC, I can hear the PRO audio from the other room at 20 ft or so.

from an iPad, I have to get right up to the mic, when I do it is also not bad.

from Andriod I will say the audio is much lower and there wasn't much I could do to make it louder....I'm thinking something with the noise cancelation use in the phones

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
PJMLAW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Regrettably I just cancelled my 4 cam Arlo Pro order.  Was pretty excited about it but the comments here seem overwhelming that there is not sufficient speaker volume at the camera.  I'll be attentive to the possible redesign or software fix and then buy.

Urbangeek
Aspirant
Aspirant
@TomMac Are you talking normal or speaking louder than usual?
Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

TomMac wrote:

I will disagree here that something else is going on.....

from testing with PC, I can hear the PRO audio from the other room at 20 ft or so.

from an iPad, I have to get right up to the mic, when I do it is also not bad.

from Andriod I will say the audio is much lower and there wasn't much I could do to make it louder....I'm thinking something with the noise cancelation use in the phones

Tom,

If what you say is true, the situation is even worse and Netgear is engaging in outright deceptive advertising. They specifically advertise two way audio with the iPhone more than any other than any other device

Did you buy yours retail or get it complimentary? I bought my four camera "Pro"  retail from an authorized retailer in a netgear made box. In fact there are only two pictures of any client devices on the outside of my Arlo Pro box where "Two Way Audio" advertised on the front of the box and Netgear created store signage --  none are a PCs --  they are both iPhone 6/6s. 

Again --  the only client device they advertise as  running the "two way audio" audio inclduing app  on the box are iPhones.

The front of the Netgear Arlo Pro box features list is exactly as follows:
100% wire free
Indoor/Outdoor
Rechargeablebatteries
2-way Audio
Siren

If they have a general hardware manufacture problem  with a certain batch s they rush to market, that is a glitch that can be solved by replacing hardware affected. Same if this is a firmware mistake on Netgear's end. I get that, I have seen it happen with many good products. But if they never tested a major feature on the one client, iPhone,  they are touting and advertising on the box, that is much worse.

Secondly, I am running test with a DB meter this morning, comparing the Arlo output using a dozen different inputs. The results so far are in the 20-30 DB range at 1' with under 18  DB at 6' which is classified below a "whisper" on all the audio charts. My android and iphone phones output 80 to 100 DB on speakerphone max, and run at 60 DB at about two meters, with 60 db at 1' clearly a minimum for advertising "two way conversation" speaker duplex capablity to achive 50 to 60 at 2 to 3 meters. I will hone those numbers later in the week. I am actually seeing this low DB on Arlo Pro across all phones and tablets.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Urbangeek wrote:
@TomMac Are you talking normal or speaking louder than usual?

With PC..the mic is on the monitor, about 2 ft from sitting position

On Ipad, normal holding produced a lower voice, if you read my other thread, i had to turn the ipad around and speak normal but into the mic on top

On my LG phone, normal vioce produced a much lower output at the cam.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/PRO-Camera-on-regular-Arlo-Base/m-p/1158699#M486

First was the audio testing...

Web access - found the audio output to be loud enough to hear from 20ft away. Delay of my speaking to output was aprox 1 sec.  Funny tho the mic on the PRO to output at computer end was about 2 secs.

Ipad - had a bit of trouble at first but it was on me... forgot to grant the app mic acess. Once done it was working fine

Audio output at PRO was low until i turned the Ipad around and spoke into mic on unit. Delay 1-2 sec both ways

Android - audio was what i would call on the lower side but loud enough to hear ok... as with the others 2 way audio worked fine. Seems that other users are having problems with devices puttting out low audio too, which I believe ends up being low audio output at the PRO.  In speakerphone mode the output at the PRO was higher.... maybe the mic gain is higher at the phone in this mode.  I do know in some other apps the sound canceling turn off produces a higher mic output.. Delay also about 1-2 sec for both ways.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Psaras wrote:

Tom,

If what you say is true, the situation is even worse and Netgear is engaging in outright deceptive advertising. They specifically advertise two way audio with the iPhone more than any other than any other device

Did you buy yours retail or get it complimentary? I bought my four camera "Pro"  retail from an authorized retailer in a netgear made box. In fact there are only two pictures of any client devices on the outside of my Arlo Pro box where "Two Way Audio" advertised on the front of the box and Netgear created store signage --  none are a PCs --  they are both iPhone 6/6s. 

Again --  the only client device they advertise as  running the "two way audio" audio inclduing app  on the box are iPhones.

The front of the Netgear Arlo Pro box features list is exactly as follows: snipped

read the audio testing section from above..

I can't say how and when the PRO was tested before release as I don't know.... And yes, I received a single PRO unit for testing purposes just about 10 days ago, not full retail box.

But, I do stand by my testing results... I try and give a fair report, not slanted either way when it comes to the testing.....I fiq they'll never fix it if they don't know.

As to to db meter... great report, I don't have a meter , if I did I would have used it...I'd like to read your final reporting.

But in the end... to get good audio out from a PC but not android, means to me that the camera itself isn't necessarily the problem.

Getting different output from different sources to me, implies the output of the devices is different... Ive seen this same result in linking many other devices.... maybe a gain adjustment in SW could fix it , not sure.

PS... when you do testing, make sure the device / model/ and OS are listed... it does make a diff

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Android here - tried on 3 separate devices running 6 and 7.  All have the same problem with weak outgoing audio (to the camera speaker).  The hardware is vastly different with one being an old Galaxy Nexus, another a Nexus 10 tablet and the last a Nexus 6. Different manufacturers over 5 years or so.  It appears to be an Android problem for sure.

Using my laptop works fine.  I did have to turn the microphone gain up all the way.

There are apparently ways to boost microphone gain in Android but, based on what I've read so far (limited), it requires rooting.  Mine are all rooted but we can't expect the Great Unwashed to all do so.  I'm not sure if this is something fixable by Netgear or if it would take an Android mod.

Edit:  Forgot to say that this is all outdoors.  Background noise (nearby highway) made it necessary to increase the microphone gain on the PC.

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tom,

Yes the problem is on Netgeras side. Most devices, including the most common, do not work.

My Arlo Pro box does not show any PC whatsoever on it. It only has iPhones (two separate pictures) on the box. I think you ought to look a the Arlo Pro retail box and Netgear provided retail store display signage -- it is all iPhones.

Netgear is not saying "2-way audio" will work with all devices such as every PCs. But it is cleary saying the one device it does work with is iPhone.

Look at Netgears own arlo dot com main page for Arlo pro, the ONLY client you see is iPhone.

All those pictures of iphones on trhe prodcut packaging itself constitue a claim and  implied warrant that it works with iPhone.

As far as saying the problem is in the iphone end, you would need to show that those of us with iphones frequently have constant problems being heard when speaking to other iphone, ipad, android tablet, PCs etc. That is objectivley not the case. iPhone works fine for example with two way audio to PCs, tablets, adnrodi devices, other apple devices and in fact on Nest.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Psaras

As far as saying the problem is in the iphone end, you would need to show that those of us with iphones frequently have constant problems being heard when speaking to other iphone, ipad, android tablet, PCs etc. That is objectivley not the case. iPhone works fine for example with two way audio to PCs, tablets, adnrodi devices, other apple devices and in fact on Nest.

I can't test an iPhone as I don't have ...Only an iPad g3. With the ipad, I turned the unit around and spoke right into the mic

I don't believe the problem is within the iphone by itself... but a combo between the PRO and the output device... doesn't mean that phones cant talk to each other.  As to wheren the exact problem is I can't say.

But do me a favor... test the iphone in the speaker phone mode and also try turning off privacy mode or sound cancelation (if they have it ) and try the audio output on the PRO.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are aware of an issue with audio on the Arlo Pro and are currently working hard toward implementing a fix as soon as possible. I will keep you updated with any new information I receive on this topic.

JamesC

Ryanjrad
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks James. Audio issues with my LG G Flex 2 currently. Can barely hear my voice through the arlo speaker.

bklipp21061
Initiate
Initiate

I too am having the exact issue with my Arlo Pro cameras. The audio is impossible to hear, it is barely a whisper. The major draw for this product was that the two way audio. I am disabled am often need to communicate the code to unlock the front door to caregivers to let themselves in since I can not access the front door. 

How will I know if and when a solution is available for this problem?

Desperate for a solution, 

Bklipp21061

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bklipp21061,

What device are you using that has this issue? (iphone, android device, laptop)?

If using a mobile device, do you have the latest version installed from the app store?

JamesC

bklipp21061
Initiate
Initiate

Hi James, 

I have an Iphone 6S, and iPad Pro and a MacBook. The iPhone and iPad both have the most current updates. The MacBook however, for some reason doesn't offer me any Arlo app at all. I can only go to Safari and use the Netgear site so none of the features are available other than watching live. 

Thanks, 

bk21061

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bklipp21061,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

JOhnTom
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an iPhone 7+ and an iPad the speakers don’t work using iPhone either

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JOhnTom,

Who is your mobile data provider? Do you see the same behavior when using WiFi?

JamesC

JOhnTom
Aspirant
Aspirant
At&t yes still doesn’t work with Wi-Fi either
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JOhnTom,

What are you experiencing that indicates it isn't working? What happens when you attempt to use push to talk?

JamesC

DavyR
Aspirant
Aspirant
Push to talk does not work on my Arlo Pro system when connected to cellular service on iPhone 6s and T-Mobile network.
( does work on WiFi, though sound not very loud)