Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

only recording 16 or 21 seconds

Discussion stats
JamJuice
Tutor
Tutor

Hi -

Been using two Arlo Pro wireless cameras for a couple weeks and I've noticed they only record either 16 or 21 seconds most of the time.  Even when there is still motion, they turn off.  They start recording again shortly after and I end up with loads of short video clips.   I have the selected the option to record until there is no more motion. I've also re-sync'd the cameras. Have I got some faulty equipment?

Thanks

79 REPLIES 79
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

there is another thread the same....

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Arlo-Pro-Stopped-recording-after-16-seconds-during-motion/...

It may be a bug in SW... I will pass this along to the few ears I have

For now I would put it on a fixed time of 1-2 mins

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
My tests of record while motion continues resulted in 16 second videos when motion stopped for more than 5 seconds. Don't forget that the motion still has to be detectable within the range of the camera. Motion may be visible to you but not to the camera.
JamJuice
Tutor
Tutor
Hey.

I stood waving in front of the camera.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JamJuice,

As jguerdat mentions above, if the camera stops detecting the motion, the recording will stop.

Consider running a similar test but instead of waving at the camera, walk left to right across the camera's field of view. Also consider the maximum detectable range (up to 23 feet).

Did this test result in a longer video?

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
FYI, I have videos of me leaf blowing the front walk today, durations ranging from 16 to 56 seconds. I did nothing more than walk back and forth, with some fore and aft movements.
Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine is the same too,  a dog set off my front driveway camera,  still wandering about but camera stopped exactly 16 secs in...

i have record whenever movement up to 300 seconds set in settings

JamJuice
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, mines the same. So I suppose that's as good as it gets. However, now the camera has decided to disconnect completely from the network/base. its a nice idea but more of a toy than a security camera. Going to return it.

Thanks for helping out!

Best
Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice

"as good as it gets'

I hope not... hopefully the whole idea of this support forum is for the development and improvement of konwn issues...

JamJuice
Tutor
Tutor
I have a replacement arriving today. Looking forward to seeing the results of the new system. Will report back.

Thanks.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Addyhash,

How far away from the camera was the dog when motion was detected? Try the test I mention above to see if you get a longer recording. Let us know the results.

JamesC

Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice
JamJuice
Tutor
Tutor
I got my replacement. I get mostly 16 seconds with a few that run longer. So it's an improvement over the system I returned. One of the cameras only last two weeks before be out of battery.
FlipYourFlop
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same issue. EVERY single one of my recordings is 16 seconds
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

16 second recordings simply indicates the camera did not continue to sense motion beyond the original trigger. If the camera no longer detects motion, the recording will not continue.

Try the test case below to see if longer recordings are produced:

Consider running a similar test but instead of waving at the camera, walk left to right across the camera's field of view. Also consider the maximum detectable range (up to 23 feet).

Did this test result in a longer video?

JamesC

TreyBlack
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue. All recordings are exactly either 16 or 21 seconds.
TreyBlack
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why is 23 feet the limit?
mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same issue here. I just bought a whole system and am very dissapointed. Most of my clips are 16, 18, 21 seconds and I have it set to continous. There can be on-going activity going side to side right in the "best detectable" motion field and it just stops recording and some times doesn't even start another short clip and I miss huge chunks of activity. I am curious if this is just normal behaviour or if folks that had it working well notice its not working all of the sudden after a firmware update or something?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
23 feet is just the usable detection range of the PIR detectors. Same is true of other products which use the same basic detectors.

As mentioned before, the motion has to be DETECTABLE within about 5 seconds for the recording to continue. I've tested this and found that it works as advertised. The minimum recording is typically 16 seconds but longer is possible when the subject remains moving in the detection zone, generally moving side to side, not at the camera. You can, and should, test it yourself by using these parameters as a guide.
mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:
23 feet is just the usable detection range of the PIR detectors. Same is true of other products which use the same basic detectors.

As mentioned before, the motion has to be DETECTABLE within about 5 seconds for the recording to continue. I've tested this and found that it works as advertised. The minimum recording is typically 16 seconds but longer is possible when the subject remains moving in the detection zone, generally moving side to side, not at the camera. You can, and should, test it yourself by using these parameters as a guide.

They should've done the detection differently then. One would want to know if someone walks into the frame and then something happens. Imagine someone walking into someone's driveway and stealing something out of the car. The only way it will continue recording is if the criminal keeps walking side-to-side in the "detection zone" ? There won't be any evidence of what the person did to the car or took from it because he is not moving side-to-side in the detection zone? I've had security cameras in the past and for some reason they were able to detect pretty much most motion and keep recording. And why five seconds? It can't handle a second or two? Again, my older systems had no problem and at worst they missed a split second not 5+ seconds with what I am experiencing with this junk.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can always use the timed recording setting instead.  I use a mixture, depending on what I'm monitoring.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Here's a couple examples of longer recording (me fixing a flat in the rain):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m09oi43pysi0pfc/1495718862007.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy79f4z2mgr8rku/1495720646097.mp4?dl=0

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

You can always use the timed recording setting instead.  I use a mixture, depending on what I'm monitoring.

Except the continuos is up to 5 mintues and this is just a max of 2. Also, even if they increase to 5 minutes, then you are going to get a ton of recordings with uncessary wasted space that will eat the battery up, especially in a high traffic area. It looks like Netgear has a problem on their hands and needs to fix or re-design the product.

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

Here's a couple examples of longer recording (me fixing a flat in the rain):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m09oi43pysi0pfc/1495718862007.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy79f4z2mgr8rku/1495720646097.mp4?dl=0

Would it have kept recording you if you were working on a tire on your second (Further car) in the driveway?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Maybe, maybe not. Note when the recording starts as I walk towards the camera. That would be at least close to the specified detection range so I wouldn't bet on it.