Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Elas
Guide
Guide

I paid over 1000 dollars for my cameras in late 2019.  No one told me that it was a free trial and after 2 years I would have to pay a software update fee.  This is outrageous.   Who is going to pay that kind of money if they know the service is only temporary.  I would not recommend this company or product to anyone

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Elas wrote:

No one told me that it was a free trial and after 2 years I would have to pay a software update fee.  

There is no software update fee after two years.  Where did you learn that?

Some features do require a subscription.  With some cameras, there is a trial subscription that lasted 12 months, with others there was a trial that lasts 3 months.  But software updates are free and do not require a subscription.

What cameras do you have?  

Elas
Guide
Guide

I called the company and they told me that if I didn't pay for an update all my cameras would eventually stop working.  Right now only 3 of 4 cameras are working.  They said as they update the software I would lose all my cameras.  I have Arlo pro

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Elas wrote:

I called the company and they told me that if I didn't pay for an update all my cameras would eventually stop working.  Right now only 3 of 4 cameras are working.  They said as they update the software I would lose all my cameras.  I have Arlo pro

You evidently reached a scam support site.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062119/How-can-I-avoid-Arlo-support-scams

Googling for Arlo support frequently leads to that.  Options for contacting Arlo support are in the app (and they are limited if you don't have a subscription).  

@Elas wrote:

Right now only 3 of 4 cameras are working. 

What is going on with the 4th one?

Elas
Guide
Guide

They told me the camera wasn't working because of software updates and the fact that I didn't pay for the subscription/software update.  At first I thought it was the battery.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Elas wrote:

They told me ...

The question here is "who were the they"?   Can you let us know how you contacted support?

Arlo doesn't charge for software updates.  

Subscriptions cost, but you would get exactly the same features for all of your 4 pro cameras.  Without a subscription you get motion detection, notifications, and 7 day free cloud storage.  And software updates.

Elas
Guide
Guide

by phone.  They told me without payment I would eventually lose access to all my cameras

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Elas wrote:

by phone.  

And where did you get the phone number?

Elas
Guide
Guide

online.  XXX XXX-XXXX <redacted>

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Elas wrote:

online ...  

As I said in my first reply, you googled and found a scam support number.

That number is NOT Arlo support (even though it looks like it is).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Elas,

As mentioned, the support number you've contacted is not Arlo support. I recommend that you cease any communications with this group.

When you say that one of your cameras is not working. Could you provide us with more details? Is the camera showing offline or giving any other error messages?

JamesC