Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Reply
Star

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

I agree the battery % should be on the home page. Having said that, I can see where some would agree and some would want just the icon. My suggestion is have the icon there for all and in settings have the ability to add the % to the main page. 

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
Message 401 of 483

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

I don’t mind tapping the gear to see the exact percentage since the icon gives me a decent idea of the range. (3/4, 1/2, 1/4) and the icon also tells folks if a wall powered camera has power or if a solar powered camera is getting juice from the sun under various conditions.  Even as it was, it provided a lot of information.

Message 402 of 483
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?


@eddyj wrote:

 

The other rule is to make commonly used things easily accessible. For example, it should not take 2 clicks to go to settings, when a single icon would do. 


Exactly, why 2 taps just to get to settings? Did some co-op student design this?

And I really think they should  move the device name back to the top. 

Message 403 of 483
Star

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

iOS app showed battery status and other icons on the front of the app on iOS? Still have a version of it on an older iPad ...
Message 404 of 483
Star

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

Completely agree with regards to basic UI/UX principals. Fundamentally there wasn’t a lot wrong with the version of the app prior to 2.6.0.
Sure, update/refresh/enhance the look of something, but not at the expense of a regression in functionality and usability.
Message 405 of 483
Star

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

Appreciate there is acknowledgedment of the issues raised. I sadly refunded due to such a broken app as it is vital for me to have view when I’m not home.

Hope this is huge lessons learned on your part as UAT is crucial prior to releasing such a big change.

Going forward why not have a BETA programme that way you are able to iron out bugs prior to official release?
Message 406 of 483

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

I’d certainly sign up for that as long as I was allowed to give input into the design process.

Message 407 of 483

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

I get maybe one in twenty of the alerts I should get . If someone broke in I would never know these cameras are fast becoming useless
Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Message 408 of 483

Re: Why hasn’t Netgear responded to the 100s of complaints about the iOS App 2.6.1?

Your recent update is terrible. Oftentimes when I hit live view, it shows an old static picture, but has sound. I know this because I’ve tried several times at night and it shows a still picture during the day. If I restart the app it will work sometimes. How can I trust what I am seeing is the live picture? Also, removing the battery icon without having to go through additional steps was a bad decision. And yes, I have reset the system, reset the app and everything else, but the live view is terrible. Please release an app update soon as I am losing faith in Arlo and am considering moving to a hard wired WIFI system due to your issues.

Message 409 of 483
Apprentice

Re: Why hasn’t Netgear responded to the 100s of complaints about the iOS App 2.6.1?

Same here.  I can get an alert, look at my phone, and it shows me an image from last night instead of this morning.  Worthless update.  Also, my backdoor camera is a 8% but the battery icon is not showing as being low at all. (this has happened on three different cameras now.  Low battery but no indicator THAT IS SUPPOSED TO SHOW!!) I loved the old UI.  I am now hating my cameras.  The app can't not be trusted to show the information needed. Also, stop deleting my comments Arlo. 

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Message 410 of 483
Apprentice

Re: Why hasn’t Netgear responded to the 100s of complaints about the iOS App 2.6.1?

Lemondog7,

"Same here.  I can get an alert, look at my phone, and it shows me an image from last night instead of this morning Worthless update.  Also, my backdoor camera is a 8% but the battery icon is not showing as being low at all. (this has happened on three different cameras now.  Low battery but no indicator THAT IS SUPPOSED TO SHOW!!) I loved the old UI.  I am now hating my cameras.  The app can't not be trusted to show the information needed. Also, stop deleting my comments" Arlo. 

 

Obviously your doing something right and hitting nerves over there yonder in Arlo/Netgear Cricketland.

 Coupled with the terrible and malfunctioning "user friendly" update, or more like a down grade,all my cameras have shown no battery % movement in weeks, corolating time with this disaterous update downgrade.

  The security system is unreliable at best, the alerts are void of current time pictures and the battery % is futile of information.

 Arlo/Netgear must stop igbnoring and deleting their customer clientel's reports/post and eith retreat back to submitting the previous update that functioned well or contine nehative and unfavorable posts/reviews.

 I personally informed several potential Arlo/Security customers at store who made an informed decision to purchase another security system that actually works.

 One person tells 10 people tells 10 people tells 10 people . . . . 

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Message 411 of 483
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Why hasn’t Netgear responded to the 100s of complaints about the iOS App 2.6.1?


@GatorHogg wrote:

 

 

 Arlo/Netgear must stop igbnoring and deleting their customer clientel's reports/post


Yes, Some of my posts were deleted as well and some were merged to another thread. 

Message 412 of 483
Guide

Re: New 2.6.0 app Device view preview size

Would really like to see this changed back as well. 

Message 413 of 483
Aspirant

Arlo pro 2

Apple user and since new update can’t save brightness.. Why change when everything was working good??
Model: VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera
Message 414 of 483
Star

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

@JamesC
Do you have a release date for the App update to address the UI issues and restore the previous icons/functionality to the main screen?
Message 415 of 483
Apprentice

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

Netgear please reply...

Message 416 of 483
Star

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

Totally agree with the many concerns on the app version pushed onto us. Give us a choice. Arlo coming out with additional products? Good luck with that when you are not currently addressing customer’s complaints. I have personally been responsible for generating many additional accounts when family and friends saw my videos. We are all unhappy with the new app.
Message 417 of 483
Apprentice

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

"Arlo community <community@arlo.com>

Mon 2018-11-12, 6:25 AM

 

Hi GatorHogg,

You just earned a new badge!

50 Kudos Received

You've earned a new badge and major props for your 50th Kudo!"

 

 I could give a rats arse about Arlo/Netgear "kudos" earned.

How about Arlo/Netgear's "kudos"?

It's clearly remarkable that Arlo/Netgear understands the meaning of "kudos" when the avalanche of complaints concerning the disasterous and malfunctioning new "user friendly" app update swamp these boards.

 I'd gladly surrender all my Arlo/Netgear awarded "kudos" for the old version app.

How about it Arlo/Netgear ?

Can you rouse your crickets off the "Arlo/Netgear communty" boards and get crackin on fixing this Arlo/Netgear calamity you call a "user friendly" app upgrade?

 C'mon boy, jump.

There's a nice big juicy 50 Arlo/Netgear Kudo treat for ya.

C"mon boy, jump.

(My dog always responds in a quicker fashion so I juz thought perhaps . . maybe . . .well, you know.

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
Message 418 of 483
Luminary

Latest iOS App Update - Does not work for users. as a security camera system

There are thousands of complaints on these forums about the "upgrade" of the App from 2.5.5 to 2.6.1.

 

The system has become useless for those using many cameras as security system.  Maybe it is still OK if you have just one camera, but for those with 15, 20, or 30 cameras it is now useless.

 

IPad pro users are particularly hurt.   The live view does not work at all.  What use is a camera system where you can't see live video?

 

It has been over three weeks since the upgrade.   Calls to the customer care centers (located in the Philippines) demonstrate a blissful ignorance of the problems.   The logs of the calls are sent to Arlo, but appear not to be read by Arlo employees.

 

All Arlo has to do is reinstate the old version of the App (version 2.5.5) until they have sorted out the problems with the new one.

 

What is unforgivable is the almost total silence from Arlo.   They need to engage with their customers and are failing to do so.   They need to explain what is the problem and why they have not given the old working version of the App back.

 

Until a few months ago, Arlo was part of Netgear Inc.  Then it split off into a separate companies

Message 419 of 483
Luminary

Companies which don't listen to their customers are destined for failure.

Blackberry, dominated the smartphone market by 2009, but did not respond to what consumers wanted in smart phones - cheaper phones with apps and more powerful operating systems.  Bust.

 

Kodak Eastman's revenue was $20 billion, but as digital cameras gained popularity, they refused to respond and tried to protect their film and film processing business.  Bust.

 

After Firestone started producing radial tyres in 1972, internal company documents found that the rubber came off the wire when the tire was in use. But when customers complained about it, Firestone blamed tire failure on substandard maintenance by the consumer.   Bust.

 

Motorola didn't listen.  But as the market started changing and customer wanted more features in their phones, Motorola did not respond by releasing updated versions.  Bust.

 

 

 

 

 

Message 420 of 483

Re: Latest iOS App Update - Does not work for users. as a security camera system


@trickytcamgeek wrote:

There are thousands of complaints on these forums about the "upgrade" of the App from 2.5.5 to 2.6.1.

 

The system has become useless for those using many cameras as security system.  Maybe it is still OK if you have just one camera, but for those with 15, 20, or 30 cameras it is now useless.

 

IPad pro users are particularly hurt.   The live view does not work at all.  What use is a camera system where you can't see live video?

 

It has been over three weeks since the upgrade.   Calls to the customer care centers (located in the Philippines) demonstrate a blissful ignorance of the problems.   The logs of the calls are sent to Arlo, but appear not to be read by Arlo employees.

 

All Arlo has to do is reinstate the old version of the App (version 2.5.5) until they have sorted out the problems with the new one.

 

What is unforgivable is the almost total silence from Arlo.   They need to engage with their customers and are failing to do so.   They need to explain what is the problem and why they have not given the old working version of the App back.

 

Until a few months ago, Arlo was part of Netgear Inc.  Then it split off into a separate companies


I agree completely on the engagement issue.  It was good to see the one acknowledgement and commitment to repair, but an update is now overdue.  Engagement is not a “one and done” matter.  It must be ongoing, honest and sincere.

 

I’m still surprised by the Live View failure some users are experiencing.  I have seen unreliable behavior in Live View, but I seem to always be able to get it to work after a stop and restart.  To be clear, that is unacceptable, but still better than a complete lack of Live View functionality.  I think I’m seeing lower latency also.  I always use Live View to check my camera position after changing batteries and the delay appears to be more like 2 seconds now...versus what I believe was closer to 5 seconds on my systems.

 

 

Message 421 of 483
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?


@GatorHogg wrote:
"Arlo community <community@arlo.com>

Mon 2018-11-12, 6:25 AM

 

Hi GatorHogg,

You just earned a new badge!

50 Kudos Received

You've earned a new badge and major props for your 50th Kudo!"

 

 I could give a rats arse about Arlo/Netgear "kudos" earned.

How about Arlo/Netgear's "kudos"?

It's clearly remarkable that Arlo/Netgear understands the meaning of "kudos" when the avalanche of complaints concerning the disasterous and malfunctioning new "user friendly" app update swamp these boards.

 I'd gladly surrender all my Arlo/Netgear awarded "kudos" for the old version app.

How about it Arlo/Netgear ?

Can you rouse your crickets off the "Arlo/Netgear communty" boards and get crackin on fixing this Arlo/Netgear calamity you call a "user friendly" app upgrade?

 C'mon boy, jump.

There's a nice big juicy 50 Arlo/Netgear Kudo treat for ya.

C"mon boy, jump.

(My dog always responds in a quicker fashion so I juz thought perhaps . . maybe . . .well, you know.


Lol I’d give you another 50 kudos if I could. 

Message 422 of 483
Initiate

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

I agree the new update makes it harder to view videos and see the battery level
Message 423 of 483
Star

Re: iOS App Update - why change the layout?

It’s been a week since the last “official” update/post from Arlo on this topic. When are we going to see the updated App that will address this issue?
Message 424 of 483
Tutor

Re: wow! The new Arlo update 2.6.1 is a HUGE step backwards!

With the latest version 2.6.1, I had to remove 10 cameras to. Get the app to stop crashing on my iPad with the latest iOS. It is a real pain no one really tests the app on real user setup.

Message 425 of 483