Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

SirV
Star
Star

The latest app update is a downgrade as far as I'm concerned

Why have you removed the simple indicators of battery level and now you have to click further into the app to find them, who thought that was a good idea.

482 REPLIES 482
GatorHogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Contributing to the battery issues I've notice after clicking my way thru to check battery levels on my 5 cameras all show the same % percentage since the update.

Are the battery level %percentage indicators disfunctional as well as the current and recent update?

Also, reading some posts of the battery characteristics and level indicators only showing when 25% and/or lower of 15% battery strength is reached.

What if you will be gone for a week or two and not know your battery % is at 26, 27, 28, 29. or 30 %?

If the battery level % is that low and you are gone for a week or two, charging the battery to full level before leaving would ensure a battery in a potential high traffic area, or of intruderes coming and going.

Anyways, my 5 battery % levels have not moved in over a week, like the level numbers are frozen when I've experienced these batteries drop lower everyday, and drop more with increased traffic or sounds recorded.

And still the booming sound of crickets from Arlo/Netgear . . . . 

MemphisRiverRat
Guide
Guide

Looking at the release notes this there was a 2.6.2 release for Android moble app at 10am today. Going by the history of the 2.6.X releases there may be a 2.6.2 release coming soon for iOS app I am guessing. If the same updates apply to iOS then maybe the battery icon will work on the Devices home page after this release. But it sounds like it will not be an actual percentage and just be the color codes unfortunately.

Release Details:

Arlo Android Mobile App version 2.6.2

• The battery icon is back on the home screen for each device. To see other settings (like signal strength, device details, etc), tap on the three dots next to the device name.
  • Other minor bug fixes
Harty084
Initiate
Initiate
Leaving bad reviews for Alro.. I spent a lot of money for this system with 5 cameras and nothing bloody works!! iPhone can not connect connect to cameras for the past few weeks. My plan is to go to every review site including Amazon and tell all to avoid at all costs!
No3puttz
Tutor
Tutor

@JamesC

"Our intent with the app update is to streamline the user experience to allow users to focus more easily on the device list as our portfolio grows."

My parents often used proverbs and idioms when trying to teach us, for example:

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Arlo would do well to heed such advice.

Markarc007
Initiate
Initiate
I agree! This happens all the time just to keep programmers employed. Happened with Directv too. Horrible decisions that have nothing to do with the user! We just want the icons back on the devices screen so you can see the status of each camera at a glance. We don’t want to go into other screens to see these things. The screen might look nicer, but it sucks for the user. Please update soon!
PennState95
Initiate
Initiate
I am having the same problem with my iPad Pro....12”. The app update caused Live View to stop working. I can hear audio, but no video. I updated to latest iOS, uninstalled app, reinstalled, and same issue. App works fine on my iPhone X. Please fix app.
Traithnin
Star
Star
Yep looking at the playstore it appears that the battery icon is back... So the next suggestions for making the app more usable would be:
Single click access to each camera's library (not 6)
Single click start and stop live view instead of having to tap to get the controls on and off screen.
Oh and MINOR point, live view to work for those for whom this app hasn't just been inconvenient but disastrous.

I'm still on the old version on Android thanks to android allowing uninstalling and replacing... And I'll be staying on that one until it looks like there's a version with usability restored.

Look out for the @JamesC bot's reply of how the latest app improves your experience!
tonytruong0320
Tutor
Tutor
Had the same situation happened to me. I walked into the house with my two toddlers and forgot to disarm the cameras. The siren went off at the max pitch and scared the kids. I launched the Arlo app and stumbled around trying to find the Alarm button. With the kids crying I got frustrated not being able to locate the hidden button I walk straight to the Arlo base and unplug it.
Pootle78
Star
Star
When is Arlo going to respond to the all these negative reviews and feedback with a commitment to listen to their customers, and revert to a sensible User Interface (that actually worked) and showed information customers need at a glance, prefer to be there all the time, and not buried behind multiple clicks per camera?!
As I saw someone else make the comparison; ‘you wouldn’t drive a car whose gas gauge was invisible except when it was almost empty’.
It’s ironic that the description of this newer interface claimed to “put the most important information front and center”.
Instead of simply repeating the line about “de-cluttering the view”, what’s needed here is 1) an acknowledgement that this decision was wrong, and 2) a commitment to revert/fix this with another update.
GatorHogg
Apprentice
Apprentice

"Release Details:

• The battery icon is back on the home screen for each device."

The battery icon IS NOT BACK ON HOME SCREEN FOR EACH DEVICE on my phone.

Stop the lies and deceptive claims and revert back to the platform that worked,

How does Arlo/Netgear not get it already. Obey your client masters or suffer mass sales losses as pizzed off clints revert to online "Arlo Security" reviews on Amazon, BB and other stores who sell this disfunctional and client ignoring security-less crap.

GarySzy
Star
Star

Still no battery icons and/or % on the home screen for iOS app. Is there a plan to add it back?  Arlo we are just hearing crickets, please respond. 

afeid
Star
Star

It looks like theyve decided on a business plan and are implementing it despite complaints from existing customers, like Apple did a couple decades ago when they lost 30% of their end users, then had to backtrack a few years alternwhen their business revenue dropped.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@GatorHogg wrote:

"Release Details:

• The battery icon is back on the home screen for each device."

The battery icon IS NOT BACK ON HOME SCREEN FOR EACH DEVICE on my phone.

Stop the lies and deceptive claims and revert back to the platform that worked,

How does Arlo/Netgear not get it already. Obey your client masters or suffer mass sales losses as pizzed off clints revert to online "Arlo Security" reviews on Amazon, BB and other stores who sell this disfunctional and client ignoring security-less crap.

I have read that on android after you update to 2.6.2 you have to log out and log back in to get the battery icon to show up. Worth a try...

OregonTrail
Guide
Guide

I now have the battery icon on each camera after updating my Android phone to 2.6.2 (Samsung Note 😎 The icon for the battery level is so small now though, that it is almost useless.

Luddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

There is no way where snowballs melt that Arlo/Netgear ever used this app themselves to manage their own systems.  Maybe they know better not to buy them.

ActionMedford
Star
Star

Android Apps are having Similar FREQUENT NO VIDEO (Black Screen) or VERY LONG Connecting Times or Device is NOT STREAMING in Both the Last 2 Firmware Updates!  Website Interface is OK which proves the Problem is the APP!  Level 2 TECH SUPPORT NOT Relaying this info to USA!  Ditto on the PoOR Software Design with NO TESTING Before Release!!!

GarySzy
Star
Star

Is anyone from Arlo even looking at these comments?  The battery icons on the iOS  2.6.1 Apps are no longer on the front page.  My issue is not being able to see the battery icons without clicking 3 times for each camera.  There is another post going on this same topic, but Arlo has locked it down so no one can continue making posts. https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Allow-us-to-monitor-single-camera-history/idi-p/164...

Please listen to your users and fix or roll back to the previous version that worked.  I only have six cameras and have to make 18 clicks (3/camera) to see the status of my batteries.  The user who posted at the above post I have included has 32 cameras so they have to click 96 time to see the status of the batteries.  It is unconsionable that anyone programer with half a brain would think we don't need to be able to easily monitor our battery level on cameras that have to be charge.  Please fix this ASAP and open up the above thread so others can post to it.

PennState95
Initiate
Initiate

“So what can we do about it? How do we get our demands met that they put the old software available to those who want it.”

If ANYONE bought their cameras at Costco, RETURN them and complain to Costco.  I am sure that will get Netgear’s attention quick.

GarySzy
Star
Star

Please fix this broken App update.  I can not see my battery status from the main page.  In order to view status of batteries it requires 3 clicks per battery to view the status of each battery.  For a system that is wire free this is not acceptable.  We need to be able to see both the icon and the battery charge displayed numerically.  IE "32%".  I see many other posts asking for the same functionality to be added back.  Please respond.

ActionMedford
Star
Star

I bought 5 of my 10 Pro 2 Cameras from Costco and have been working with Both Their Resolutions and Concierge Teams for Over a Month Now trying to get Netgear's Arlo Division to Fix Several Problems since they do not work as Specified.  Their Tech Support is in Philippines & India and they Apparently Don't Even Communicate with the Engineers in the USA.  I have made it up to Level 2 Support who state they only talk to Level 3 and are trying to get out of Fixing Anything!  The Recent Updates have made things Worse causing Even More Problems, so it is an Uphill Battle!

guidodg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why can I only see one camera view at a time on the latest ipad app version?

The older app was way better...and also the camera status is now hidden in a further menu...including battery levels and other info.

Also on the iphone app the landscape mode has disappeared.

Netgear please address these issues since I am not the only person to have raised these questions!

guidodg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Netgear please address these issues...the new app for iphone and ipad is terrible in every way!

Marioa111
Initiate
Initiate

This update has ruinded my system and the only camera that work are my old arlo cameras not the newer arlo pro's Im about done with this system and going to move on soon. 

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

I have 24 cameras and now in order to see which ones have low battery, I have to go through 48 taps? Are you kidding me? And what’s with the huge screen showing one camera at a time on my iPad app? 

Who on earth is responsible for UX now?

$100 says they don’t even own an Arlo! My PayPal is standing by...

Just wow.

CPMS
Tutor
Tutor
Totally agree. The main screen does not show enough info.