Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
philipchua
Star
Star
having read few topics. i really want to be able to disable siren. while browsing on the phone app one can easily accidentally click on the siren which will scare the hell out of the people, you can imagine what will happen to elderly at home. can this be done?
39 REPLIES 39
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, it can't be removed from the Devices tab.  However, you can reposition that button to be at the bottom or wherever it works best for you using Settings, Device Order.  Be sure to save.

philipchua
Star
Star

really disappointing,  such feature can be easily build.  control should be at the hands of consumers, not enforced.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
A little caution for hitting the right things can make it a moot point. As yet, I have never hit the siren button in either the app or the browser unintentionally. YMMV
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

When tapping the Turn On Siren button, a second dialogue box pops up asking if you are sure you want to turn on the siren. The siren will only activate after hitting "Yes" on this dialogue box.

This will be helpful in preventing accidental activation of the Siren feature.

JamesC

rjq
Tutor
Tutor

I agree with the Original Poster. There should be an option to totally remove the siren . 

You should think about well meaning but inadvertent users, (my kids, my mother, etc... )  who wonder what really happens if I hit this button?

I have no use for a siren, this is a remote camera system, not a security system.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Swap with someone for an original wireless base.

philipchua
Star
Star

i upgraded from original arlo base for the simple reason that i want a local storage.

the product is a failure if one has to go back to older base.

something must be done.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Don't push the button? 🙂
philipchua
Star
Star

the point is preventing accidental 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Putting the base someplace where it would be more difficulty to accidentally push the button is always an option.  So is a bit of creative thinking - I've used small screws between the case and button on other devices to prevent them from being pushed.

Opinions are like arses - everyone has one.  My opinion is that it's not really a problem.  We control our own actions.

philipchua
Star
Star

if control is at the hands of consumers (and it should be), there is no need to go through all of these workarounds.

accidents are accidents, why would iphone ask for password to reset the phone, if one intends to, even after confirmation.

anyhow, tks for all the suggestions.

Tom06
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree with original poster. There should be a way to permanently disable the siren. Accidents do happen.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Just push the button again to turn it off.
JJS68
Luminary
Luminary

I agree, I woudl like to see a way to perminently disable the alarm, I do not need it and do not want to accidently press it, when I tested it, it was very loud

has anyone tried clipping the sirens wires, I am thinking about it, lol

JJS68
Luminary
Luminary

turns out you can remove the siren, just not from the admin user, if you give a family member access, you can turn off access to the siren for them, and it will not show in phone app

thus you just have to have a second email for your phone and one for administration

it's under settings\grant access

then just make sure alarm is uncheck when adding

TomJockers
Initiate
Initiate

Yes i need to disable the Siren Completely.

Installed two months ago.

Today I accidentally set off the Siren in my Pocket. I was miles away and my Wife and 90 Year old Father were awoken in the early morning unnecessarily. I was unaware and my wife did know how to shut it off.

I purchased this system to monitor Dad and paid caregivers in my home remotely. I need the recorded videos to review caregivers actions in my home and “live but delayed video” to monitor my Dad.

I use the modes to alert me, via push messages to my phone, when Dad awakes inexpertly and can wander off or fall down the stairs if unattended.

My Dad has Alzheimer and load noises like the siren can be very upsetting and must be avoided for the patient’s sake.

The wife was also justifiable angered by the awaking.

Please find a way to completely disable the Siren and/or remove the siren buttons from cell phone app.

I may have to open of the device and manually disconnect the speaker. It would be worth it in my situation.

Without a siren disable option I can’t recommend this product to others in a similar situation.

Ed155
Tutor
Tutor

I permanently disabled mine by removing the speaker.

We own a vacation rental that I have installed an Arlo Pro to monitor the outside area. I couldn't afford to have the siren go off inside while we were not there or worse yet, while we had guests.

The speaker comes off easy. The base has two small torx screws on the bottom that need to be removed, then the case comes apart pretty easily. Take your time and dont force anything, just plastic tabs hold it together. The speaker pulls right off. It's mounted on three tangs. It's not connected or wired to anything. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Pretty unlucky to have your phone in your pocket and then your phone unlocks itself somehow, then the phone opens the Arlo app, then the phone scrolls down to the siren button, then the siren button is activated, then the Yes - confirm siren should sound button is pressed...

Ed155
Tutor
Tutor

It doesn't necessarily need to go through all those unlocking features to bump it on.

For instance, my wife has the app on her phone. She can have it open looking at live footage while standing in the checkout line. Instead of shutting down her app when she gets to the front she just sets it in her purse while paying, then forgets about it while the phone bounced around in her purse. Yes, that happened. 

I do agree, if the app isn't open it would be tough to accidentally turn on.

For me, removing the speaker eliminated the problem.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

If your wife isn't good with locking her phone when she puts it in her bag, consider as above, don't grant her account access to the siren as well as changing the device order so the siren button is down the bottom of the list of devices

Ed155
Tutor
Tutor

Haha. Yeah, that would go over well. Tell her she can't have access to a camera that she owns, monitoring a property she owns and manages. I'll take the 10 minutes to pull the speaker and eliminate the problem. To be honest, I don't even WANT the speaker option. If they sold a camera without it I would have chosen that one. Serves no purpose for us.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The original base has no speaker. Sell the Pro base and buy an original or find someone who wants to swap.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Ed155 wrote:

Haha. Yeah, that would go over well. Tell her she can't have access to a camera that she owns, monitoring a property she owns and manages. I'll take the 10 minutes to pull the speaker and eliminate the problem. To be honest, I don't even WANT the speaker option. If they sold a camera without it I would have chosen that one. Serves no purpose for us.

The base siren isn't a camera. It's just the siren you'd be removing from her device list

Ed155
Tutor
Tutor

steve_t wrote:

Ed155 wrote:

The base siren isn't a camera. It's just the siren you'd be removing from her device list

Got it. Thanks.