Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

cannot get the geofencing to work

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
finsfan67
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cannot get the geofencing to work. Love the system and it’s not a deal breaker, but it is one of the features that led me to this platform.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sjburman
Initiate
Initiate

It isn't clear from your post what you mean by "cannot get the geofencing to work" but I had difficulty in setting up the geofencing option today.  I stepped through the setup wizard and when I 'saved' the geofencing configuration and returned to the "Mode" options, I noticed the "geofencing" mode selected breifly (for a fraction of a second), before it reverted to the simple "armed" mode.  It didn't appear to have saved the geofencing configuration I had just set up, despite having clicked on 'save' at the end of the setup.  I poked around in the internet for anyone who had been having similar difficulty in getting the geofencing config to save, and found a single post in which someone mentioned that if your phone's name contains unusual characters it can cause problems with setting up geofencing.  In my case, the phone's name is "Stephen's iPhone", i.e it contains an apostrophe.  This seemed an unlikely cause, but I tried removing the apostrophe from my phone's name, and amazingly was now able to save and enable geofencing.  Clearly a bug in the Arlo softwarem but easily circumvented by removal of these tricky characters from the mobile device's name.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sjburman
Initiate
Initiate

It isn't clear from your post what you mean by "cannot get the geofencing to work" but I had difficulty in setting up the geofencing option today.  I stepped through the setup wizard and when I 'saved' the geofencing configuration and returned to the "Mode" options, I noticed the "geofencing" mode selected breifly (for a fraction of a second), before it reverted to the simple "armed" mode.  It didn't appear to have saved the geofencing configuration I had just set up, despite having clicked on 'save' at the end of the setup.  I poked around in the internet for anyone who had been having similar difficulty in getting the geofencing config to save, and found a single post in which someone mentioned that if your phone's name contains unusual characters it can cause problems with setting up geofencing.  In my case, the phone's name is "Stephen's iPhone", i.e it contains an apostrophe.  This seemed an unlikely cause, but I tried removing the apostrophe from my phone's name, and amazingly was now able to save and enable geofencing.  Clearly a bug in the Arlo softwarem but easily circumvented by removal of these tricky characters from the mobile device's name.

finsfan67
Aspirant
Aspirant

Eureka! Thanks for the tip. Problem solved. I have been going back and forth with Arlo Support for two weeks and this was the fix all along!

Thanks again!

BerryMan2266
Initiate
Initiate

NO WAY I would have had the patience to figure THIS one out.  The apostrophe in the phone name was killing Geofencing mode - went round-and-round about 30 times trying to get the Geofencing configuration to "stick" - taking the apostrophe out of the name - this was on an iPhone 6 - did the trick.

VERY glad to have found this post.

Netgear - get this one on the 'bug-tracker' list... very frustrating bug that should be simple to fix.