Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 78 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Print_B
Guide
Guide

I have a couple of Arlo systems.  One at home and one at work.  Our home system has suddenly stopped detecting motion and subsequently not recording.  It has a mixture of Arlo and Arlo Pro cameras.  I have rebooted, re-synced, removed devices - turned off system and power etc.  I still can't get them to work.  Any suggestions please?

78 REPLIES 78
brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

For sure. I'm going to have to take a long nap as we did not finish until about 4:30 am my time. LOL Just now getting going after several cups of strong coffee.

Ok the cameras are working fine. When you get home this evening tell me what you want to happen when motion is detected, so we know what is going. Again, it appears like the problem is in the rules. Do you think it is not working because you are not getting any notifications, or the siren is not going off?

Don't answer that now. We'll start again tonight.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Print_B wrote:

Morning Brian, yes I had tried the motion detection test (from my desktop computer) and the cameras do flash red when very close.  Am off to work shortly so will have another go at this tonight when I get home.  Because I only have less than one month of warranty left I either want to get it resolved or if need be return the base station for replacement if it's faulty.  Many thanks - have a good day

Unlike the rest of the world, we seem to have been afforded the luxury of 2 years worth of warranty instead of the usual one year

KopKlan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure if I logged into the correct account so hopefully this works.  All cameras were working on LIVE record last night.  Set to schedule when I left for work this morning.  Cameras activated only on Audio setting, no motion detected despite the neighbours coming over in the afternoon (perhaps for a sneaky swim).  Used to get a few activation on the back deck with birds having a swim/play/drink in the fountain but nothing.  No motion activations but plenty on Audio.  When I got home from work I set the cameras to ARMED from the driveway so I should have been picked up on at least three cameras while entering the property, garage and ultimately the home.  Nothing - again no motion detection.

Print_B
Guide
Guide

attempt two, now logged into correct account (that's another issue - how to meld two accounts into one).  

Reply to Brian, as previous:

Not sure if I logged into the correct account so hopefully this works.  All cameras were working on LIVE record last night.  Set to schedule when I left for work this morning.  Cameras activated only on Audio setting, no motion detected despite the neighbours coming over in the afternoon (perhaps for a sneaky swim).  Used to get a few activation on the back deck with birds having a swim/play/drink in the fountain but nothing.  No motion activations but plenty on Audio.  When I got home from work I set the cameras to ARMED from the driveway so I should have been picked up on at least three cameras while entering the property, garage and ultimately the home.  Nothing - again no motion detection.

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

Sorry, I was worn out last night. In thinking about this, the common denominator in all of this seems to be the base unit. If the unit fired on audio and recorded videos then there doesn't seem to be much more to check as you seem to have the proper settings to record video on motion. That would also eliminate the schedule as being a problem. The Live View is fine so we know internet speed isn't a problem.

Brian

Print_B
Guide
Guide

Thanks Brian

Yes I realised with our time difference you may be catching up on some well deserved rest.

I have been speaking with Netgear Support too so I guess I wait till they give me a return authority and then start the process again with a new base unit.

Thanks so much for you help and assistance thus far - will keep this thread open and let you know of the outcome.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

AFAIK, the base station has absolutely nothing to do with motion detection ability/sensitivity. If you bought the system from somewhere like Noel Leeming, you should be able to exchange the kit for a new one without having kept the receipt (because everything is stored on their computers) and if it's been less than 2 years. Still very strange for it to happen to multiple cameras so I guess if it somehow is the base, stranger things have happened

brh
Master
Master

@steve_t

That is what I have been wondering but he has already spoken to Support once and I have spent hours with him and everything that I can see is set up properly. The problem happened all at once on four cameras. The cameras are detecting motion, the live view works, the cameras are simply not recording video nor sending notifications.

The only common denominator is the base station?

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Oh right. The cameras are detecting motion. I missed that bit. Sounds about right then. Hopefully a new base or new kit sorts it out.

Print_B
Guide
Guide

Female! Sorry but you are referring to me as "him" - yes probably a dumb blonde but I feel I have tried everything.   And no the cameras are NOT detecting motion, but are detecting audio.

brh
Master
Master

I am so sorry. Your alias did not indicate that. I am not a male chauvinist pig. LOL.

What I ment to say that in the test mode you said the red LEDs did light up with motion.  

Let us know if Support is able to help you.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

If support or the retailer aren't able to help you, I have an original base station you can use to test things. No siren or USB recording though. But really, you should be able to get something sorted if it's less than 2 years old

KopKlan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, this one that is playing up I guess is the original system, purchased in February last year from Noel Leemings.  The second system I purchased in November last year has the siren and the rechargeable cameras with audio sensing and record as well as motion.  Where are you located?  I rang our local Noel Leeming store and they won't do anything until they get a return authority from Arlo.  Still awaiting a response to my last message to Support - seems to take a day back and forth to get a message through.  Still open case number so fingers crossed.  Cheers, Denise

brh
Master
Master

@Print_B

I think I am fully rested now so if you want to play with it some more tonight just send me an email. If I am still up I will try a few more things.

The one thing that I wanted to try before you had to call it quits the other night was the Rules you had set up on the cmaera that the red LEDs lit up in the motion test.

Let me know.

Brian

KopKlan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Brian, not implying that all 🙂 and am very grateful for all your help and assistance.  I do have an open case number with Support - just a waiting game for replies and then they suggest things that I've already tried (thanks to your help and expertise).  Yes when up very close the cameras do flash red in test mode - however still no motion activiation and recording.  Been on live chat this morning and they accessed my account again and made changes (are mean't to be emailing me through a list of what they did but haven't received it nor a transcript of the chat).  Will test again tonight when I get home from work.  Thanks again, Denise

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I'm in Hamilton. I returned 4 original Arlo HD cameras due to pink tint problems over the 2 years of my warranty. I also bought from Noel Leeming. They never once asked me for any RMA number or even to contact netgear support. The first time it happened, I had to pack up the base and 4 cameras and return everything for an exchange. After that, I bought an add on camera and every time I had a problem, we just returned the camera pretending it was the add on camera so I didn't have to return the entire kit. They were really helpful and easy to deal with

KopKlan
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK an update - came home from work purposefully early so I could activate the cameras within the scheduled time.  Only the bedroom deck one is sensing motion and recording.  So I walked in front, waved hands in front of all cameras and nothing - this is on five other cameras.  Live chat today with Arlo Support and then went in and checked all the rules and believed it SHOULD be working fine.  Well it still isn't.

brh
Master
Master

@KopKlan

Have you received the email from them yet?

How many cameras do you have in total?

If one of them is working then I don't think it is the Base station.

Can you take a couple of the cameras that aren't working to close proximity to the one that is? I'm now wondering if it isn't an interference problem. There are so many electonic devices out there that communicate on the same frequency as the Arlo system. Believe it or not I recently read that the Google Chromecast could cause big problems with networks along with other devices.

So please try bringing at least one of the other cameras close to the one that is working so we can see if it is an interference problem.

Brian

KopKlan
Aspirant
Aspirant

nine cameras in total, 7 on this system.  They were all working fine up till Monday week ago - but sure can try moving them around.  Am on Live Chat again now

brh
Master
Master

@KopKlan

I don't want to mess up your live chat, so read this when you get through with them.

I am sure there is a logical solution it just means we have to do a lot of aggrevating work until we find the solution.

At this point I would swap the cameras from one system to another, (one at a time), and see what happens.

EDIT: Since you would have to remove the cameras from the two systems and add them to the other base, lets stay within the same system for now.

Brian

KopKlan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just did that brought a camera home for work and it too isn't sensing motion

KopKlan
Aspirant
Aspirant

put a camera within two metres of the one that is functioning correctly and still nothing.  Live chat is in my system at present so fingers crossed the find something (fourth time)

KopKlan
Aspirant
Aspirant

ok I have some limited success - just finished live chat and after playing with the rules again and resetting all to 100% motion detection I now have four cameras in operation.  They went to ensure those cameras continue to operate and then will resume again tomorrow. Phew - what a mammoth mission.  Thanks to everyone for their help and assistance 🙂

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Hope it works. I guess another thing is that if they're pointing out to your driveway or street and it's 33 degrees (celsius) outside like it is here, the PIRs might not work as well picking up people as they would if it was 25 degrees

KopKlan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah 34 here, and in the carport where a camera is is 48 and I guess the front verandah would be similar - maybe that's it?  I did ask that question if the heat would affect the motion detection on my live chat session but they established that it was my slow internet speed, which it obviously wasn't.  Fingers crossed things are still working tomorrow.  Thanks