Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
DavesArlo
Tutor
Tutor

Will the existing Arlo Base Station (non-Pro) support USB storage devices in its USB slots?

It would be great if we could get a soft update to enable using a flash drive or HDD plugged into the base station for storage. 

8 REPLIES 8
Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

Highly doubtful.

khurni
Aspirant
Aspirant

DavesArlo wrote:

Will the existing Arlo Base Station (non-Pro) support USB storage devices in its USB slots?

It would be great if we could get a soft update to enable using a flash drive or HDD plugged into the base station for storage. 

It should be doable, but NetGear's business model is to make you have to buy new hardware every year or so.

alwezhpy
Tutor
Tutor

I sure hope you are mistaken on your business model comment.  I can't imagine the product line lasting with an predetermined annual failure track record. 

Also, I would recommend they make an update to existing base stations a reality as they will eventually give out and I would be hard pressed to continue with a company that does not allow existing firmware to be updated with new features along with new product releases.  Even Apple gives their older hardware firmware some the new features along with new products.

Superman2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

i agree with this extremely.  might just have to buy the 1 camera pro setup even though i already have 5 cameras.  swap out the base stations for local backup and put the pro on my front door.  Ive already put a little over $700 buck into.  not counting batteries and outdoor mounts.  not sure i wanna put another $250 into. 

MichaelChatt007
Initiate
Initiate

I certainly hope they do. My system is less than 6 months old and I like it, though it feels like a very bare bones solution. I accepted it thinking things would get better over time. If it only get better over time with new purchases I can say with certainty my new purchase will happen but it will not be an Arlo product. I'll step down before I get rail roaded into disposable systems, if I can help it.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your existing Arlo Wire-Free cameras can be synced to an Arlo Pro Base Station to utilize the new base station features (local storage and siren). The Arlo Pro Base Station will be made available for purchase individually, allowing you to upgrade your existing base station to utilize the new Arlo Pro Base Station features.

JamesC

ittroll
Apprentice
Apprentice

It would seem that the USB ports on the original base station can only be used to store dust.

I'm doubtful we will see much "future enhancement" now the pro model is out.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Arlo Pro 2 - Because free is best.
donttrustthem
Star
Star

All original Arlo base station owners were SOLD a system with written information that the two USB ports were for future feature additions/upgrades.  That has never happened... yet.  It's a bit like being sold a motor vehicle purporting a certain level of emissions only to discover later that the written marketing material supplied to you before you purchased and also came with the product is not correct or is materially misleading.

Thiis should give all Arlo original base station users rights under consumer laws in their country.

Whether Netgear will do anything probably depends on an official government department making enquiries on behalf of disgruntled consumers who feel cheated OR, alternatively, a good understanding by the company of what customer service really means and what the true 'lifetime value' of a satisified customer is versus one who is angry and feels deceived.

Could go either way... but the production of the Pro line and the equivocal answers (or no official answers) on this user forum would seem to indicate the wait for those USB features could be long indeed.  Corporate reputations are a tenuous thing, often forgotten until consumers bite back or karma catches up.

And yes, I'm still waiting for those USB features.