Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
rabidhyena
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

Very close to buying this system but would like opinion if what I am hoping to do is actually achievable. I am hoping for a complex setup

I want my system to

• Have 4 cameras - 2 external, 2 internal. (maybe more later)
  • Use geofencing, so that if one of my family of 5 enters the building the auto detection turns off.
  • If everyone has left (with their geofencing mobile devices) then detection/notification is armed automatically
  • I share the app with 5 family members on their devices- this will give access to just the front door camera for all - so that they can identify visitors to the front door and do 2 way audio. I will have access to all cameras
  • At a predifined time at night, the downstairs cameras are armed, even when the geofencing devices are in the house. To detect for night time intruders.
  • I will be able to manually view the cameras remotely even if they are in the disarmed state.

Also a couple of questions-

1. Can you use your home wifi with any of the products. I have a decent mesh system wifi setup which will def cover all areas but worry the netgear hub wont reach
  2. Is there a button you can buy to have next to the front door/top of stairs to arm/disarm? I dont think the priduct had a specific product but given its integration with other home automation systems, then there might be something.

I am very grateful for your advice.

I hope this will be the right product for me.

Regards

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
  • Have 4 cameras - 2 external, 2 internal. (maybe more later)

Yes, the base can handle 5 cameras on the Basic Level ( free) up to 15 total ( paid level )

• Use geofencing, so that if one of my family of 5 enters the building the auto detection turns off.

Geofencing works well with one phone as I have run it... it, IIRR, is still in beta. Issue for some pop up with multi phones in use, tho many get it to work properly ( I'll let others respond here re this )

• If everyone has left (with their geofencing mobile devices) then detection/notification is armed automatically

When working , that is how it functions...if one phone is in the geozone it should not arm

• I share the app with 5 family members on their devices- this will give access to just the front door camera for all - so that they can identify visitors to the front door and do 2 way audio. I will have access to all cameras

TMK, there is no limit as to sharing cameras using the feature GRANT ACCESS, you also pick the shared cameras and admin level,...  audio with some phones being loud enough has been an issue, I think IOS was having low audio with some models

• At a predifined time at night, the downstairs cameras are armed, even when the geofencing devices are in the house. To detect for night time intruders.

Yes, the schedule can do this to arm the cameras say at 10pm

• I will be able to manually view the cameras remotely even if they are in the disarmed state.

Camera can be viewed at any time by loggin in and using the LIVE VIEW screen and picking the camera...max of 5 cameras streaming at the same time per base.

Can you use your home wifi with any of the products. I have a decent mesh system wifi setup which will def cover all areas but worry the netgear hub wont reach

The Arlo and Arlo PRO use a base unit that plugs into an ethernet port on you router...they will not connect to your wifi system ( bases create their own wifi for the camera only )

The Arlo Q cameras hook directly to you home wifi and can use hotspots to assist with coverage

Is there a button you can buy to have next to the front door/top of stairs to arm/disarm? I dont think the priduct had a specific product but given its integration with other home automation systems, then there might be something

NO button... android or ios phone and PC as controller...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
rabidhyena
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks so much for your reply.

This all sounds good. So all in all you can set priority of rules so one overides another eg Ill want the night time arm to overide the geofencing 'people at home' rule.

Super

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You set up MODES and then you can select the MODE is used in the geozone for exit and return.

Recommend you read thru the FAQs as most of these things are better explained then here is a short messg.

Morse is faster than texting!