Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why is subscription limited by number of cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
EarthlySunTzu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello all

I recently bought 4 Arlo Pro cameras for my home. So far so good. Now, I figure I need another 3 to get good coverage of most areas around the house. Come to find out that the basic subscripiton (free) is limited to 5 cemaras, 7 days of recordings (1GB storage in cloud). Past 5 cameras, I have to pay 10 bucks a month. I don't ever want to pay 10 bucks a month for the additional cameras (I am find in not having 30 days of coverage, 7 is plenty for me with offline recordings) and find this rather lame. Before I launch into a tirade, can someone clarify if what I am reading is right (about subs fee) and if there is a way to add cameras (beyond 5) and not have to pay the 10 bucks a month subscription fee?

Thank you for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

At some point Netgear must draw the line as to how many cameras on the account will be included in the free plan after which subscriptions kick in.

Some of their competitors charge less for the camera but then make you start paying for cloud storage from the beginning. 

Instead of adding the extra cameras to your existing base, you could buy an Arlo Pro 2 pack including base and set it up as a different account then grant access btween the two accounts to everyting appearing inder the saem app. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Streak2
Master Master
Master

At some point Netgear must draw the line as to how many cameras on the account will be included in the free plan after which subscriptions kick in.

Some of their competitors charge less for the camera but then make you start paying for cloud storage from the beginning. 

Instead of adding the extra cameras to your existing base, you could buy an Arlo Pro 2 pack including base and set it up as a different account then grant access btween the two accounts to everyting appearing inder the saem app. 

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Nope. More than 5 cameras on your base and you'll have to pay for the subscription. Pretty sure they make that quite clear on the website

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Come to find out that the basic subscripiton (free) is limited to 5 cemaras, 7 days of recordings (1GB storage in cloud). Past 5 cameras, I have to pay 10 bucks a month. I don't ever want to pay 10 bucks a month for the additional cameras (I am find in not having 30 days of coverage, 7 is plenty for me with offline recordings)

Yes, on the free level, Basic the limit is 5 cameras, but as to storage above, not really correct...

Tho the 1GB limit is still mentioned, it has not been enforced by Netgear since Jan-2016 when they removed the usage gauge.

Also, there is no iimit on the number of bases if you need to expand the coverage area

As mentioned, you can always run two accounts.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And, if you choose to use a second account (which implies using a second base with cameras attached), you can use Settings, Grant access to allow one account to see and (mostly) control the second account's cameras.  That would get you up to 10 cameras, 5 on each account, with one login.

EarthlySunTzu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting way to get around to more cameras. Thank you for sharing everyone.

I wonder, rather than pushing this creative solve on to their customers or more like the customers having to figure this out on their own, if arlo/Netgear product folks would consider letting customers like me simplify their lives a little. For instance, frst 5 cameras attached to a base are included in the price, then add cameras by bulk to the account for a one time charge e.g. additional 5 cameras to the same base for a one time charge of 50 bucks. On the cloud end, real or yet-to-be-enforced limit of 1GB stays. But until then, here is to a slightly more complicated way to get what I need (ordering my extra set of 3 with a base shortly here).

Thanks again everyone.