Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Why Can't I Adjust the Default Volume for the Siren?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kirsten_M
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have been trying to adjust the default volume for the siren on my Arlo Pro Home system. I know I can set up rules for my cameras, but that's not what I'm talking about. I want to adjust the default volume for when the siren is turned on manually from the app. 100 decibels is louder than I would like, as 15 minutes of unprotected exposure to noises at that level can cause hearing loss. The base station is near my bedroom, and if I am lying in bed and someone is breaking into the house, I don't want to have to choose between letting them in and risking deafness (for myself or my pets) by triggering the siren. When I contacted customer support, the representative on the live chat told me that there is no way to adjust the default volume level. Although I find that surprising, if that is, in fact, the case, how can I go about requesting that functionality be added in a future software release? As an aside, I would think this would be a liability issue for the company--it would only take one customer who suffered hearing loss after triggering the siren, especially if that person had tried to adjust the volume and been unable to do so. Please help me turn down the volume!
3 REPLIES 3
Kirsten_M
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have already gone into Settings -> My Devices and have selected the siren, but that just sends me to a blank screen and doesn't actually let me adjust anything.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's just a naming capability. Any settings are in the main base section. 

FWIW, you can set the volume and duration in your modes. 15 minutes isn't even a choice while the minimum of 1 minute (I think - I don't have a Pro base online to check) should be very sufficient. I understand the desire to protect your hearing but that 100dB isn't measured in your bedroom - it's close to the base itself. Smoke alarms are also similarly loud - I found one at 85 dB at 3 meters/9 feet. Closer is louder, further away is quieter. I don't see the distance at which the Pro siren is tested to achieve that 100dB but it will be close to the base.

Kirsten_M
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for responding to my post.  I appreciate you trying to reassure me.

Unfortunately, my bedroom is on the main floor.  The Arlo base station is located just on the other side of the wall.  Now, the wall may muffle the siren to some degree, but it's still too close for my liking.  (And before you ask, it's not practical to relocate the base station due to the location of my internet connection.)

I also do have concern for my pets.  Cats have extremely sensitive hearing and there's no way to know where they'll be relative to the base station if/when the siren is triggered.

I guess my question really is this: if the system allows for adjustment of the volume (using rules) when the siren is triggered by one of the cameras, why can't a menu option be added to allow volume adjustment for when the siren manually triggered?  Many users may be comfortable with the default volume setting (and perhaps even prefer it), but some of us aren't, and it seems like there ought to be a simple way to change this.